A Small Bit of Good News for New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJay

Train Attendant
OK, I know it's not much, but the Magnolia Room first class lounge is now open at NOUPT after being closed since Katrina. New furniture and a new TV (with a satellite receiver no less)! Yes, it's still pretty sparse compared to other lounges, but I take it as a positive sign. The NO crew base is alive and well, although still a little short handed.

I was able to spend some time walking the downtown area, and can report that the city is certainly showing signs of recovery; tourists in the French Quarter, more businesses open, joggers along the riverfront, etc. If you've been thinking about a visit to New Orleans, this is probably as good a time as any!

That is very good news, Randy! Thanks for posting it. I didn't know the Magnolia Room had been closed since Katrina hit and the station reopened. :(

It's good to know they have new furniture in there. Last time I was there, the stuff was in pretty sorry shape.

I am pleased to hear things are improving at NOL. I had hoped to include it on a recent trip, but found the hotel prices to be far above average...it is understandable to prioritise sparse accomodation for repair workers, etc, but it's no use saying "NOL is welcoming tourists again"...and then charging a premium to those of us wanting to spend tourist dollars there...

Ed. B)

Up until just a few weeks ago the hotels were quite high. They still are, but I was recently able to find a few three and four star options in the downtown French Quarter not far from the station for under $100/night through Hotwire.com. I am not going to NOL, unfortunately, any time soon, but I was just checking prices for the heck of it.

I have used the Magnolia room a couple of times but in pre Katrina days and found a closet would have been better. I was at Boston and they have a huge lounge for sleeper passengers.

Bill

BillVas said:
I have used the Magnolia room a couple of times but in pre Katrina days and found a closet would have been better. I was at Boston and they have a huge lounge for sleeper passengers. Bill
Most lounges are bigger than New Orleans' lounge. The lounge in NOL just doesn't see that many people by comparison to others.

The lounge in Boston isn't just for sleeping car passengers either, it's also used by passengers traveling in First Class on Acela Express, much like I'm doing right now as I type this. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back