A Rail Passenger's Lament

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midland Valley

Lead Service Attendant
They're not singing "Hail to the Chief"

On Train Number Three,

But God Save America From GWB.

The Despoiler of Iraq

Can't Find a WMD

But the Destroyer of Amtrak,

He Wants to Succeed.

Billions and Billions for Highways and Planes,

But not one red cent

For the Passenger Train.

Then there's Little Mineta,

The Kill Amtrak Crier.

They'd like to get him

On the Heartland Flier.

No trains full of people

Crossing the Land.

Just highways that choke,

And can't meet the demand.

No! They'er not singing "Hail to the Chief"

On Train Number Three,

Just ...God Save Us All From GWB.

Midland Valley said:
Billions and Billions for Highways and Planes,But not one red cent

For the Passenger Train.
Federal subsidy:

Commerical aviation: $6 per 1000 passenger miles

Amtrak: $200 per 1000 passenger miles

Source: Washington Post

By the way: last year, Amtrak received one hundred twenty billion "red cents".

When you amortize the costs for one train in an area per day, those numbers come out the way you suggest.

If there were at least a couple trains in most areas, running 12-hour offsets, the amortization improves. I can point to at least one route - the Coast Starlight - that could seriously benefit from 12-hour offsets. To do so requires reliable equipment, staff, and maintenance investment.

And what about state matching contributions in many parts of the country. Suddenly us tax payers are paying more for each mile.

Lets ignore the fact that is sometimes take 8 and 10 hours to travel the 280 miles from LA to Las Vegas on a weekend, a route that for so many years has been promised the return of Amtrak. Its like NASCAR even during the week. They could set up several full trains on any busy weekend. Extend a couple runs to Salt Lake and maybe that helps the Zephyr.

Take any system, strip it down to a few routes, then minimize equipment so that only one train per day can run on those remaining threads - and what you have is that wonderful statistic you mention. Got any solutions???

But yeah, you're right. Lets just stop a national rail system right now. Who cares if the nearest reasonable airport in some parts of the country is near 300 miles away. I love wasting hours in airports. Most people can drive right? We're only hitting Peak Oil.

Again, nice statistics. Got any solutions???

I got an idea.. shorten the Iraq war by one day, then we'd have funding of Amtrak by one year.

The point of it is, if President Bush and Secretary Mineta get their way, there won't be one red cent for Amtrak period! And if Mr. Mineta is trying to reduce costs right now, (without sacrificing safety) that is liable to be some or all long distance trains. When they are gone, the fat lady has sung, the benediction has been pronounced and that is that. It sounds to me like this run away administration is trying to run around the congress and its Amtrak supporters. I leave Tuesday at 4:00 AM. for Albuquerque with two of my sons. It may be my last trip on the old Chief. I will lament!

Arkarch.......Excellent post. Thank you.

Midland Valley.......Well, maybe not quite yet, the ole Chief will find a way, regardless of these temporary occupants of the White House.

Rick - well, my post came out of frustration on those who to quote stats without basis.

On the Chief... I strongly suspect it will survive.

At least four routes are very hard to touch... the Chief, Zephyr, and Empire Builder go through good hunks of rural states with 2 senators each. The Starlight is very popular, though I can see more of its funding being footed by Amtrak California.

The City of New Orleans likely also survives, besides its the second half of the Empire Builder run if memory serves me.

Sunset, I can see the Gulf Coast portion surviving, but the western portion goes over too much population-scarse territory to be saved. You can just about cover the major parts cross country with the Chief and a connect between KC and the Orleans.

This of course would be worst case.

No idea on the east.

One note... as Bush's popularity dwindles down into the 40's, many Republican congressman are less likely to follow the administration line. A weak, lame-duck president provides no cover. If we can get past this hurtle, I dont think another run can be made on Amtrak until well after the next presidential elections. Of course dont expect much support either.

If Bush gets his way, none of it survives. Not the Builder, not the Starlight, certainly not the Sunset. It's all gone. All of it.

ok...hello. my name is carmel. I am just found this website and I am just reading some of discussions going here. I am shock that bush is not even considering one thing..............that is people who lose their jobs. It bad enough they cut the Acela (trust me I was layoff and force to transfer back to LA just so I can work) and there you already lost 20-30 LSA jobs 3 of major crew bases out there on the east coast .............so just think if all long hauls go?

Back