A few Northwest observations from the highway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greatcats

Engineer
I am out on a two + week road trip from Arizona, primarily to examine volcanoes, as I am a volunteer for the National Park Service at Sunset Crater near Flagstaff. I am also visiting several friends in Utah, Montana, Oregon, and Nevada. Yesterday I left my hosts' home on the west shore of Flathead Lake, Montana and wanted to follow the railroad west into Washington. I joined US 2 at Kalispell and headed west. I expected the railroad to join somewhere before Libby but this was not the case. It evidently follows a route through the wilderness only reached by secondary roads. I stopped for lunch at the Libby Cafe ( pretty good old fashioned place ) and before resuming driving headed down the street to Libby station, where trains only stop in the middle of the night. There is a fairly new concrete platform and the waiting room, not open at this time, did look cozy and inviting. One big demerit while peering through the window - a hand lettered sign advising that THE restroom was temporarily out of order. I wonder if that is always the case. Back on the road into the Idaho Panhandle - I really love this drive, and one reason I took it as it is not visible from the Empire Builder, which I took east last October. I have been in these parts before, but not in the town of Sandpoint. The station sits next to an elevated highway and is a bit tricky to reach, necessitating a reverse move through town, back over a bridge, and up a somewhat obscure driveway. However, the sight was encouraging of what I understand is the former Northern Pacific station. Contractors were at work on the forlorn looking building, and while the man shooed me away from his work area, due to ' insurance regulations running the world " he explained that part of the building was being renovated to create a handicapped accessible restroom and provide a waiting room. I tend to believe that this is a project of the city.

I decided to follow US 2 to Spokane, which wasn't so great, getting bogged down in traffic. The railroad following this route is evidently not used as the mainline, as it was unsignalled; it probably was the trackage heading south from the station in Sandpoint that is now the mainline. North of Spokane I passed several trailer parks where evidently there have been sever storms and saw more than a few trailers and RVs crushed by large trees.

I certainly saw more than one LONG LONG train of oil tankers headed east. What I found interesting was that a boxcar is placed behind the locomotives and ahead of the tankers, and also a boxcar on the rear of the otherwise all oil tanker train. My guess is that this is sort of a buffer in the event of a mishap from explosions. This is being written on the picnic table at the KOA Kamground in Pasco, where I spent a warm but fairly comfortable night in my tent. Shortly I will drive down the Columbia to have dinner with friends in Portland, following the north side of the river by the railroad. However, I'm not going to hang around to spot the late running 27.

The BNSF main between Sandpoint and Spokane is the former NP (unlike most of the current mainline, which is mostly GN). It is the "Sandpoint Funnel" and follows US 93 south out of Sandpoint (mostly) but eventually angles off to the west to go more directly to Spokane instead of going to Cour D'Alene. It is called the funnel because all traffic funnels into it, to the east both the Hi Line and the MRL (former NP) and to the west, the lines to Seattle and Portland from Spokane.

US 2 between Sandpoint and Spokane largely follows the former GN route, what is left of it is a branch line, it is truncated.

Thanks for the info. I thought the arrangement of the lines was something like you describe. 27 is running to late to wait around town- onward in the trusty Toyota!

Nice trip Eric, I'm envious!

I've never seen the scenery in Idaho and between Spokane and Seattle in daylight due to the Builders used to be good OTP! I understand its pretty nice!

The Northwest is beautiful. Of course, I'm just a bit prejudiced. ;) Yes, the area north of Spokane has been devastated by severe storms. They had two bad storms within 10 days of each other recently and some folks had just gotten power back from the first one when the second one hit. I love the Sandpoint area; the view from Amtrak over the bridge that crosses Lake Pend Oreille must be spectacular. But, darn it, every time I've been through Sandpoint on the Builder it has been close enough on time to still be dark when I was through there. The elevated highway there in Sandpoint is fairly new; it took a lot of political maneuvering and got lots of resistance from environmentalists and lots of time and money before it was built. Previously the only way through town was via surface streets and a dizzying array of one way streets and 90 degree corners. The environmentalists may not like the new highway but truck drivers certainly do. Just last week I traveled along the west side of Flathead Lake to Kalispell myself as our group returned to Glacier Park from Yellowstone. Oh, and the Funnel that Zephyr 17 talked of is a trainwatcher's (or foamer's, depending how you look at it :lol: paradise; plenty of action there to keep you busy. I remember years ago I was railfanning at the railroad yard just east of downtown Spokane and was joined by a man who for years had been trying to get his dream shot and hadn't been able to: A BNSF train crossing over the UP line between Spokane and Sandpoint at the same time a UP train was going underneath. I've always wondered if he ever managed to get a shot of that. Anyway, sounds like you had a great trip through my neck of the woods, relatively speaking, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
And Jim, the scenery in Idaho is great! So is the scenery from Sandpoint into Spokane. From Spokane to the Columbia River at Wenatchee, well, not so much. To me a rough equivalent is the scenery between Sanderson and Alpine, TX, especially the further west you go.

We just drove that same route last month from Whitefish and Kalispell over US 2 and I had to look at the map because, as you said, Amtrak is not visible from US 2 until Libby. Didn't stick with US2 all the way to SPK though, opting for the interstate at Coeur D'Alene as we had to be in SEA that evening, which is why we were in a rental car instead of #7 with its erratic schedule. We had come into WFH earlier that week on #28 and I wanted to see what we missed during the night on the train.

When we passed the Sandpoint station, I thought about stopping but couldn't figure out the access. Any thanks, CHamilton for posting the link.

I am out on a two + week road trip from Arizona, primarily to examine volcanoes, as I am a volunteer for the National Park Service at Sunset Crater near Flagstaff. I am also visiting several friends in Utah, Montana, Oregon, and Nevada. Yesterday I left my hosts' home on the west shore of Flathead Lake, Montana and wanted to follow the railroad west into Washington. I joined US 2 at Kalispell and headed west. I expected the railroad to join somewhere before Libby but this was not the case. It evidently follows a route through the wilderness only reached by secondary roads. I stopped for lunch at the Libby Cafe ( pretty good old fashioned place ) and before resuming driving headed down the street to Libby station, where trains only stop in the middle of the night. There is a fairly new concrete platform and the waiting room, not open at this time, did look cozy and inviting. One big demerit while peering through the window - a hand lettered sign advising that THE restroom was temporarily out of order. I wonder if that is always the case. Back on the road into the Idaho Panhandle - I really love this drive, and one reason I took it as it is not visible from the Empire Builder, which I took east last October. I have been in these parts before, but not in the town of Sandpoint. The station sits next to an elevated highway and is a bit tricky to reach, necessitating a reverse move through town, back over a bridge, and up a somewhat obscure driveway. However, the sight was encouraging of what I understand is the former Northern Pacific station. Contractors were at work on the forlorn looking building, and while the man shooed me away from his work area, due to ' insurance regulations running the world " he explained that part of the building was being renovated to create a handicapped accessible restroom and provide a waiting room. I tend to believe that this is a project of the city.

I decided to follow US 2 to Spokane, which wasn't so great, getting bogged down in traffic. The railroad following this route is evidently not used as the mainline, as it was unsignalled; it probably was the trackage heading south from the station in Sandpoint that is now the mainline. North of Spokane I passed several trailer parks where evidently there have been sever storms and saw more than a few trailers and RVs crushed by large trees.

I certainly saw more than one LONG LONG train of oil tankers headed east. What I found interesting was that a boxcar is placed behind the locomotives and ahead of the tankers, and also a boxcar on the rear of the otherwise all oil tanker train. My guess is that this is sort of a buffer in the event of a mishap from explosions. This is being written on the picnic table at the KOA Kamground in Pasco, where I spent a warm but fairly comfortable night in my tent. Shortly I will drive down the Columbia to have dinner with friends in Portland, following the north side of the river by the railroad. However, I'm not going to hang around to spot the late running 27.

GC,

I am going to be at a VRBO rental 9/4-9/11 at Lakeside,MT on west central side of Flathead lake to do the Glaicier Park/Canada thing on the way back from east to home in Las Vegas.

Got any restaurant recommendations ? Going to Whitefish/West Glacier and East Glacier for meals in conjunction of hoping to catch the EB/freight depending on lateness of the EB and sightseeing in the area and Glacier.

NAVYBLUE

I'm not GC ;) but when you are at East Glacier I highly recommend Luna's. Great food at reasonable prices. If the weather is decent you can eat outside on their patio. It can get crowded but the wait is worth it. And if you like huckleberries you just HAVE to try their huckleberry pie!

Just got back from seven days in GP - we really enjoyed the folks at the Dancing Bears Inn - and reasonable rates for the area,,,, If you are going up 89 to Many Glacier don't miss Two Sisters or The Café at Johnson's - both outstanding meals ,,,,,

GC,

I am going to be at a VRBO rental 9/4-9/11 at Lakeside,MT on west central side of Flathead lake to do the Glaicier Park/Canada thing on the way back from east to home in Las Vegas.

Got any restaurant recommendations ? Going to Whitefish/West Glacier and East Glacier for meals in conjunction of hoping to catch the EB/freight depending on lateness of the EB and sightseeing in the area and Glacier.

NAVYBLUE
In Whitefish the Whitefish Lake restaurant (which is actually on the golf course, just off US 93) is outstanding!. If you like seafood the Stillwater Fish House, also just north of Whitefish on US 93 is very good. Around the Park you have both the Belton Chalet (West Galcier) dining room and Izaak Walton Inn (Essex)--both very good dining experiences, especially Izaak Walton Inn for train buffs!!

I'm not GC ;) but when you are at East Glacier I highly recommend Luna's. Great food at reasonable prices. If the weather is decent you can eat outside on their patio. It can get crowded but the wait is worth it. And if you like huckleberries you just HAVE to try their huckleberry pie!
Thanks JP. Was looking at a cabin near E. Glacier and the cabins review mentioned Luna's and to DEFINITELY have their homemade huckleberry pie. Me likes me some pie.

NAVYBLUE

32398_510204369000579_1389157728_n.jpg

Me likes me some pi, too :) although the huckleberry cobbler at the Izaak Walton Inn is superb!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from seven days in GP - we really enjoyed the folks at the Dancing Bears Inn - and reasonable rates for the area,,,, If you are going up 89 to Many Glacier don't miss Two Sisters or The Café at Johnson's - both outstanding meals ,,,,,
Thanks for the info. Dancing Bear Inn was on my list and I'll check out the ones at Many Glacier. Did you do your own driving or try any of the park shuttles that go from West Glacier to the pass and back.

NAVYBLUE

GC,

NAVYBLUE
In Whitefish the Whitefish Lake restaurant (which is actually on the golf course, just off US 93) is outstanding!. If you like seafood the Stillwater Fish House, also just north of Whitefish on US 93 is very good. Around the Park you have both the Belton Chalet (West Galcier) dining room and Izaak Walton Inn (Essex)--both very good dining experiences, especially Izaak Walton Inn for train buffs!!
MM,

Thanks. I knew about Whitefish Lake restaurant as I looked at a house on the golf course. but I will definitely check out the Stillwater Fish House especially if they have farm raised Oregon shrimp or west coast fish. Unfortunately, a lot of seafood comes form places where the farm raising techniques leave much to be desired.

NAVYBLUE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back