#51(27) Cardinal today cancelled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cardinal

Train Attendant
We were supposed to take the Cardinal today. Just got an email that it is cancelled. Does anyone know why?

Mary

It really seems like the freights have been derailing and crashing into vehicles on a near daily basis lately. Has this always been the case or am I just noticing it more?

It really seems like the freights have been derailing and crashing into vehicles on a near daily basis lately. Has this always been the case or am I just noticing it more?
Pretty much always been the case. They just didn't get reported as much, and/or not noticed unless it affects an Amtrak service.

50/51 are short turning in Huntington. Navy 113 is on the rear tonight. It was bound for Washington now it's going back to Chicago.

They used the Barboursville Wye.

We cancelled the train and are driving.
Did you at least get a full refund for the trouble? You are technically supposed to get a full refund if you cancel on account of disruptions or cancellations.
If they cancel the train on you, you definitely are supposed to get a full refund. If the OP hasn't yet, I would call Customer Relations as soon as possible.

Just tried it, I got the page not found also, but it did land on the OLI site, and you can go to statistics and see the data in various forms. Odd it did that since I took the link from the address bar with a copy...I'll have to look later to pique my curiosity.

Just tried it, I got the page not found also, but it did land on the OLI site, and you can go to statistics and see the data in various forms. Odd it did that since I took the link from the address bar with a copy...I'll have to look later to pique my curiosity.
There's extraneous characters in the link address. Remove them and the page opens fine.

https://oli.org/about-us/news/collisions-casulties

There's extraneous characters in the link address. Remove them and the page opens fine.

Interesting, that's been happening relatively frequently with links I post as well. I'll have a link written out, but the actual link that's embedded has extraneous characters.
default_wacko.png

Interesting, that's been happening relatively frequently with links I post as well. I'll have a link written out, but the actual link that's embedded has extraneous characters.
default_wacko.png
Well, my link did not have the extraneous characters, so it doesn't happen all the time.
default_wink.png

Thanks to everyone for your responses. We made it to our destination. Yes, we did receive a full refund. We certainly would have preferred two days on the train over two days in the car.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. We made it to our destination. Yes, we did receive a full refund. We certainly would have preferred two days on the train over two days in the car.
Glad to hear you made it and got fairly compensated. You (planning on) taking the train back?

I think they used their own car, that could be a showstopper.....
Possibly, but they could have gotten a one way car rental. Remember that if they were originally booked on the Cardinal round-trip, it might make sense to get a rental on the way there, and still get to enjoy the train on the way back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since they referenced 2 days in the car vs 2 days on the train, I figured that was one day in each direction. Guess it depends where they were actually headed.
I wasn't clear. Our trip is two days in each direction. We opted to use our own car. We have done this trip by train once a year for the last ten years. There's next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back