5 and 6 in service disruption 7/11. Freight derailment in Nebraska

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up and as is my habit took a look at status maps to determine just how bad bnsf was mistreating 5 and 6 since I'm going on it Saturday. I saw the service disruption. I called amtrak and the agent explained it was a freight derailment between Lincoln and Hastings. 5 and 6 are detouring around the derailment. The agent stated that 2 or 3 cars were on the ground.

I asked about Saturdays 5 and so far so good. Though I assume the 6 that is detouring around this mess is the consist that will make up our train.

Hazmat issue on the regular route west of SLC. #5 has been rerouted via Ogden and the Lucin Cutoff and causeway over the Great Salt Lake. Currently expected into Elko around 3:45 PM -- 12 hours and 45 minutes late.

Now in Reno, running 13 hours late. Look for #6 to depart EMY several hours down from the get-go on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Departed Truckee at 10:49 PM - now more than 13 hours late. Look for Emeryville arrival after 3 AM and Sunday's eastbound departure of #6 around noon.

I was wrong on both counts. Yesterday's due #5 arrived EMY more than 12 hours late at 4:44 AM this morning. Turned and left EMY today as #6 more than 6 hrs late at 3:45 PM

#5 and #6 haven't been able even buy a break all summer... if it's not one thing it's something else... don't have the data in front of me, but #5 has been into EMY within an hour of schedule, what 5% of the time? Or does it only seem that bad? #6 the other way has been within an hour of schedule what, 10-15% of the time? And sometimes these delays are not merely the 2, 3 hr variety, but seriously late. This clearly is not a good time for first-time riders to be introduced to Amtrak - they're going to become once and gone riders. :-( Sad to see this especially just as ridership was on the increase.

From my experience last October, the same train set as well as the same OBS crew return on the next number 6. I am sure Federal or Railroad legal requirement require minimum rest time for the OBS crew as well as the need to clean, restock, repair, and actually "turn" the train in Oakland so 12 hours is a realistic amount of time to perform this turn. So that what takes so long. Amtrak does not have an extra train set nor an OBS crew base in Oakland.

The alternative on the minimum crew rest would be to FLY a replacement OBS crew out from Chicago, rather than delay the return trip for the extra hours for crew rest. Ain't gonna happen! Plus, Amtrak may nor have a cleaning crew working the midnight shift in oakland to clean really late CZs arriving after 3 AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back