Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philabos

Train Attendant
I travel to New York every couple of months and usually ride 651 back to Lancaster, which always seems to run on time..

I have noted however announcements being made that #49 is late arriving from Sunnyside Yard and an announcment will be made when the train is ready to receive passengers. Either I always happen to be there on an unlucky day or this is a regular event.

I was standing by the desk at the entrance to the Amtrak passenger lounge when a waiting passenger came up to ask about the status. Apparently none of the five Amtrak employees standing around the desk knew, because all he seemed to get was no answer or a shrug.

Out of curiousity I checked the status for tonight and #49 departed at 4:58PM vs. schedule of 3:45PM (#651 left at 4:03PM).

Also checked #48 inbound for the day before and it only arrived about 30 minutes late.

I realize they may not turn #48 consist for #49 the next afternoon given the overlapping schedules - so does anyone know what inbound stands for #49 outbound? Is this a too tight turn problem or a Sunnyside issue? Or is it really I happen to be there on bad days?

During the summer, 48 turns for 49. However, some individual cars may be switched out and replaced if cars need to go someplace for maintenance.

Sometimes, last-minute defects can crop up that will cause a train to be late out of the yard. Turn time isn't the issue.

During the summer, 48 turns for 49. However, some individual cars may be switched out and replaced if cars need to go someplace for maintenance.

Sometimes, last-minute defects can crop up that will cause a train to be late out of the yard. Turn time isn't the issue.
There is no way that's possible. As 48 arrives into NYP at 635pm if ontime and 49 departs at 345pm from NYP. Unless you want a 4 or 5 hour late train Amtrak won't let it happen.

Today's 48 will become tomorrow's 49. In the cold months, 48 becomes one of the next day's Silver trains to Florida.
How do they manage to do that without some serious car shuffling? The train comes in with the sleepers and bag at the wrong and and is missing a Lounge car.

Today's 48 will become tomorrow's 49. In the cold months, 48 becomes one of the next day's Silver trains to Florida.
How do they manage to do that without some serious car shuffling? The train comes in with the sleepers and bag at the wrong and and is missing a Lounge car.
Sunnyside yard does an awful lot of switching in a confined area of Queens; if a car needs to be cut in or out this is the place. It's not much different than switching box cars except every car is shoved to a coupling and air is used for safety.

OK, if 48 does turn for 49, how in the world can equipment not be ready for a 3:45PM departure - it's been in Sunnyside for 20 hours! I know you can get an unexpected bad order, but it appears this may not be an isolated incident.

As bad as things were in the final days of PRR and PC before Amtrak, I don't ever remember a train being delayed for late equipment out of Sunnyside, but maybe I just don't remember the bad quite as well as the good.

That's why they run a deadhead lounge on the Lake Shore in the winter, and why the other Viewliner trains run with their consists reversed (do you not remember the 375 threads about "sleepers on the rear"?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back