4000 points from select plus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Chicago and can't get those easy points on the Acela without spending tons of money. So . . . I plan to make some serious points run this fall. Any suggestions?
Hiawathas back and forth between Chicago and Glenview all day for each of 4-5 weekend days? $340, as far as I can tell (40 segments at $8.50 each).

(Not that I condone that sort of thing. :p )

Hmm, with 4 months left, that pretty much puts you at 1000 points a month.

CHI-GLN-CHI-JOL-CHI-GLN-CHI would get you 600 rail points for $44 over the course of a day from 6:00am to 2:30pm using the following schedule:

6:00am from Chicago arrive GLN 6:22am

7:25am from Glenview arrive CHI 7:57am

9:25am from Chicago arrive JOL 10:15am

11:15am from Joliet arrive CHI 12:15pm

1:05pm from Chicago arrive GLN 1:27pm

2:01pm from Glenview arrive CHI 2:29pm

From there you could tack on the the out and back to Galesburg on the SWC and return on the Carl Sandberg for another 200 points but at a bigger pricetag. Of course, there's always the "hop the Hiawatha" method which might net you more, but make you sick at the sight of the line when it's all done.

Hmm, with 4 months left, that pretty much puts you at 1000 points a month.
CHI-GLN-CHI-JOL-CHI-GLN-CHI would get you 600 rail points for $44 over the course of a day from 6:00am to 2:30pm using the following schedule:

6:00am from Chicago arrive GLN 6:22am

7:25am from Glenview arrive CHI 7:57am

9:25am from Chicago arrive JOL 10:15am

11:15am from Joliet arrive CHI 12:15pm

1:05pm from Chicago arrive GLN 1:27pm

2:01pm from Glenview arrive CHI 2:29pm

From there you could tack on the the out and back to Galesburg on the SWC and return on the Carl Sandberg for another 200 points but at a bigger pricetag. Of course, there's always the "hop the Hiawatha" method which might net you more, but make you sick at the sight of the line when it's all done.
Thanks, I never thought of doing all of that. That would be quite a day.

Back