30th street updates (lounge and food)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are two pictures I took last week of the PHL 30th Street station's Club Acela for first-class passengers. The furniture seems new and those couches aren't all that comfy. 

20181230_095616.jpg

20181230_112805.jpg

I think that couch is one step 'removed' from those wonderful red & purple early days of Amtrak upholstery 'taste'.  Ugggghhhhh!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a chance to spend an hour in the lounge at PHL this week and took some pictures to add to those Austruck posted above a couple weeks ago.

I have to say the only thing missing is a pair of lanes to complete the 'bowling alley' look.  I like this lounge better than all the rest as it gives a good view of what's going on in the main waiting area and the elevators directly to the platforms.  But being on a balcony, it's long and narrow to begin with.  The former furniture had several 'tall' desks to break up the extra long, narrow bowling alley effect.  Those are gone.  And in a turn about from what they did at Boston, (or is it the other way around?) the 'high' chairs for the 'high' work areas have solid plastic seats as do some 'low' chairs, vs BOS having padded those chairs and the steel bars underneath hurt my butt.  Oh...and if you have an optical mouse like I do for my laptop (I've chased my dropped wireless mouse on the floor of a train far too many times!  If if the wired one stops working, it's $4-5.  Wireless - $15-20 to replace.) it won't work on the quite smooth, all white table tops!  Good going Amtrak!!!

One of the other things accomplished is they created larger 'group' areas with the L shaped couches and a couple of chairs at too-low coffee tables.  Totally worthless for using a laptop or even a tablet.

At least it was only for an hour.  And they even put a TV at the far end of the bowling alley, in a newly constructred/under construction alcove obscuring the entrance to the rest rooms in a small hallway.

I didn't bother taking a photo of the 2 workstations still there.  I have not observed any workstations in any lounges in use in over 2 years!  Why even bother?

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

pic004.jpg

Did you notice the black rubber 'speed bump' across the carpet covering an extension cord to the couch or coffee table in pic  #2 above?

And a couple more pix

pic005.jpg

pic003.jpg

pic006.jpg

I was in there last week, and I think the train pictures are new (and the only decent addition). The TV has always been there, I think. 

The very first thing I noticed the first time I went in there (after the impossible-to-miss seating) was the black rubber "speed bump" accident waiting to happen. I have to remember to be aware of it when I go in there because I do not want to trip over it and be the first accident to happen. :eek:

I was there last Friday and I'm still getting used to it. Of note food wise the Cajun food stand in 30th Street has an amazing breakfast po boy on a baguette. A friend took me there one day and I got hooked. :)  

I have to say the only thing missing is a pair of lanes to complete the 'bowling alley' look.  I like this lounge better than all the rest as it gives a good view of what's going on in the main waiting area and the elevators directly to the platforms.  But being on a balcony, it's long and narrow to begin with.  The former furniture had several 'tall' desks to break up the extra long, narrow bowling alley effect.  Those are gone. 
Were they tall desks, or were they tall armoires (to hide/store away your luggage)?   Regardless, they did a great job of breaking up the area into more intimate areas.  Though, maybe that was the problem (the attendant didn't have a clear view of the entire lounge, from their welcome desk).

Were they tall desks, or were they tall armoires (to hide/store away your luggage)?   Regardless, they did a great job of breaking up the area into more intimate areas.  Though, maybe that was the problem (the attendant didn't have a clear view of the entire lounge, from their welcome desk).
Yes, their were. The attendant still doesn't have a clear view, and never will. The soda machine and a conference room block that from happening. ;)  

Back