30 (9/22) and 50 (9/22) Both Delayed Before Leaving Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SubwayNut

Conductor
I'm currently sitting in the overcrowded Metropolitan Lounge waiting to board the Cardinal back to New York. It's already 30 minutes down. I arrived earlier this afternoon on the Southwest Chief that arrived 31 minutes early. This gave me enough time to have an excellent walk out to the Lake and back along the Chicago River.

I got back to the station around 5:10 and heard them announce that the Cardinal will be delayed about an hour due to equipment problems in the yard. I stopped by the Metropolitan Lounge (which didn't know yet and made a phone call), before making the announcement. I walked some more and returned at 5:45 (the scheduled departure time) just to play it safe.

About 10 minutes ago they announced that Train #30, the Capital Limited would be delayed about an hour due to Engine trouble.

Not a good day in Chicago, although of the western arrivals none arrived all that late (I looked to see if we'd be delayed waiting for a connection).

I have a sleeper and if I get to New York after midnight at least I'll save $2.75 since I'm planning to activate a new 30 day Unlimited Ride MetroCard.

I guess I'll use this space for more late Cardinal Updates.

I was also in the overcrowded Metro Lounge having arrived also on the SWC. Although I had a 3 hour layover, I almost missed my connection due to some sort of mixup! When I checked in at 3 I was told they would "take me to my train at 6:00 pm. The Pere Marquette was scheduled to leave at 6:30. At 6:10 I had not heard anything so I inquired at the desk if it had been delayed. I was told they were "waiting for a boarding call." Finally at 6:20 they called the train. She took me and 2 others outside the lounge doors, pointed and said "Go to Gate F." There was no one at Gate F, someone said "Gate D!" There was no one there either! All the passengers had boarded! (The reason I opted for Business Class was priority boarding!) I went through the unstaffed gate and hollered ""Where is train 370!?" Suddenly staff appeared and scolded me for going through the gate! I told them "I can't afford to miss this train!" I was told to board on the left side of the train, but then after crossing over, noticed everyone else was boarding on the right! And I was never offered redcap service! What a fiasco! I was exhausted and stressed from running to the train! I'm now sitting in an almost empty coach in a leather seat with a newspaper and a bottle of water! Is that worth the extra cost? I don't think so!

I hated to end my vacation on a sour note. The trip across country on the SWC was a delight!

I am happy I did make my train and I'm sorry for all of you there in the lounge hearing of the delays. I hope you all have a safe journey and make it to your destinations on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back