2nd passenger name necessary on roomette award?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimePeace

Disillusioned.
If I book a 2 zone roomette trip and there will be another person sharing the accommodation, do I need to get their name put on the reservation as well as my own?

I ask because I am planning the trip and it is not definite I will have a companion, but we both hope so!

Asking it the other way, if I book the trip in both names is there a problem if it turns out to be only me traveling?

For your 1st question, yes you must list the 2nd person on the award. The reason is for meals, the LSA has to verify how many "free meals" should there be. If "room 4" has 2 meals but only lists 1 person, you will have to pay for the 2nd meal!

For the 2nd question, no problem. On one award a few years ago, I had a 2nd person with me on 2 of the 4 trains. But I still listed him on all 4 trains. I had no problem.

[SIZE=14.399999618530273px] [/SIZE]I had no problem.
Thanks... I knew you'd know!

(And if I'm solo and the extra meal is available, it means maybe one more coach passenger gets seated for dinner... I like that Idea, since when I'm traveling in coach I am always wondering if I will get a dinner seating! So far, I always have when I wanted to - but ya never know...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just booked an AGR loop award I'm going from Phoenix (my AGR rewarded included the shuttle to Flagstaff) to St. Paul, my buddy is going Los Angeles to Chicago, (well the reward is ending in Columbus, WI he's buying a coach ticket from there). Right now he's booked LAX-CBS, I'm PHX (don't know the shuttle's code)-CBS. Not wanting to No-Show the Shuttle is why I was honest with the agent (I did tell her I was getting off at MSP but she said once your on the train you can get off anywhere, so I'm ticketed all the way to CBS).

Curious to see if the actual proper tickets will print when I stop to visit a Quick Track machine at some point before (the Shuttle doesn't accept eTickets). I want each of us to have our tickets before had so if the Southwest Chief is late, I miss the Starlight and get rerouted via the San Joaquin to Sacromento/Martinez he'll at least get to enjoy our roomette up the coast, and actually have his ticket.

I booked an AGR award last fall coast-to-coast and back. I asked a lot of questions here on AU before I booked, then got the tickets with Hubby's name on them as well as mine. Hubby was never intending to go, but I wanted to have the option of a second person "just in case" any of the friends and relatives I put the word out to decided to take me up on the offer. The AGR agent was like "sure, no problem changing the second name if you need to."

In the end, I went alone and relished the "me" time and extra space. But the SCAs and conductors were all assuming there would be two of us, and they all just rolled with it when I said "he didn't come, or "nope, just me."

In the end, I went alone and relished the "me" time and extra space.
I have felt this way in a roomette. I love to travel with a companion, but the several times I have gone on a LD train alone, I have loved the freedom to make all of the decisions myself (without feeling selfish). And any time you want company, you can go to the Cafe or SSL, or for a meal in the dining car.

I still don't know whether or not I'll have anyone traveling with me for my LD trip this fall. AGR told me I could book the trip and if I want to add another pax I have until about a week out to add them. So currently my roomette shows just one pax (me). But if I decide to add a friend I can add them later on. That way I could secure the sleeper room and take my time finding person number 2 (or not).

I normally and love traveling alone (and on my upcoming trip I am except for the actual AGR Roomette Portion of the trip). It just seemed silly to waste the extra space in the Roomette with the fact I can bring a friend (who has taken previous LA to New York Amtrak trips) for free. I had a funny conversation with him the other day, he assumed he still had to buy (and was all set to) a coach ticket LA to CBS to join me in the Rommette and was surprised and happy to hear that the award covers both the rail fare and accommodation charge for two people, and that all he needed to buy was a continuing ticket from CBS to NYP.

A person can not board the train without a ticket. Book the reservation with your name only and then call to add the name later, if you end up planning on having someone traveling with you.

Or, if there's someone who you think will probably be traveling with you, go ahead and add the name. You can always call to change the name or to cancel later. They do occasionally check for identification, so you'll need to have the correct name listed.

Back