#2 out of LAX at 5:00PM Today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that Amtrak will wait until October to do something in regards to this route. An 18 hour delay just leaving L.A? I'd be surprised if they had 30 passengers on that whole train. Also, I will be surprised if the train makes it to El Paso without getting cancelled.

Such a shame. :angry:

It just doesnt make sense at all that they would do something like this.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, #1 was only 15 minutes late getting into Houston tonight. Perhaps originating in NOL does have its advantages.

Anyone care to guess how late she'll be getting into...oh...El Paso?

:eek: The eastbound must get the record. At this amtrak should temporarilly suspend service, or move it to once a week for the next two months.

60 HOURS AND 33 MINUTES LATE?! HOLY **** (see I sensored myself there :D ) That has to be some kind of lateness record!!

I wonder how much Amtrak spent on bussing and hotels during that run! That has to be a logistical nightmare for them of the worst kind. And if anybody actually stayed on the train they have earned their milage!

It would be a lot faster trip to just put the pax on Greyhounds at Los Angeles and be done with it. Actually it's a good deal for 1st class pax, if they don't really have anyplace they need to be within a week... They basically get most of a whole week of (occasional) travel, and room and board, and extended panoramas of innumerable rail sidings, for the price of the ticket. Maybe they should start marketing it that way. Instead of Sunset Limited, maybe call it the "Southwest Mystery Safari". "Each Trip An Adventure!! Don't ask us when it will arrive - we never know - maybe it won't!!!!"

If they went to once a week, the schedule would have to be:

Departure: This week

Arrival: Next week (if UP is having a good week)

Actually, at this rate it would BE faster to send those pax up to CHI on P004, SW Chief, and then on P059 CONL, to NOL, if that's where they were going, than sending them LAX-NOL on Sunset. Even though P004 was 11 hours late to CHI and it missed the CONL connex on the 17th, the pax would have arrived in NOL this afternoon, even after a 1-day layover in CHI, compared to the Sunset that left LAX at almost the same time as P004, and still not to HOS yet.

Amtrak should warn every passenger buying a ticket on #'s 1/2 that there's a 99.9% chance of having significant delays en-route. 60 hours late is more than laughable, it's pathetic. No passenger could possibly plan for an arrival of more than a day late for pete's sake. Heck 10 hours late is pushing it as far as i'm concerned. Actually, remember when a 10-hours-late Sunset was cause for concern?

NativeSon5859 said:
Amtrak should warn every passenger buying a ticket on #'s 1/2 that there's a 99.9% chance of having significant delays en-route. 60 hours late is more than laughable, it's pathetic. No passenger could possibly plan for an arrival of more than a day late for pete's sake. Heck 10 hours late is pushing it as far as i'm concerned. Actually, remember when a 10-hours-late Sunset was cause for concern?
That wasnt too long ago. The FRA should (but they wont) put pressure on up to allow Amtrak to have total priority over its freights. As much as we want to blame up, they never forecasted (nor did any other railroad) that in the last few years their would be a surge in traffic. Up should have saw the signs and added more doubletrack and ctc.

Any thought that maybe the OTP data is false? This would be on the news or something if the train were really 60+ hours late. Maybe the train was annulled and they never turned off the lateness timer? :unsure:

The train is running dead head with no passengers on board. It is just a positioning move to set the equipment for the next westbound disaster. The web status makes it look like the real train, but it is not.

PRR 60 said:
The train is running dead head with no passengers on board. It is just a positioning move to set the equipment for the next westbound disaster. The web status makes it look like the real train, but it is not.
Which westbound departure? The equipment already missed it's westbound departure on the 8/19. Heck I'd be surprised if it makes it back to Orlando in time from the westbound departure on 8/22!

Amfleet said:
Which westbound departure? The equipment already missed it's westbound departure on the 8/19. Heck I'd be surprised if it makes it back to Orlando in time from the westbound departure on 8/22!
It won't. Being terminated in New Orleans for departure Monday, 8-23.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back