15,000 miles or so criss-crossing the country.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are floor plans of a Superliner Sleeper (for most of your trains):

amtrak-diagram-superliner-sleeper.jpg

...and a Viewliner Sleeper (for the Silver Star and maybe your CHI-NYP train):

amtrak-diagram-viewliner-sleeper.jpg

Cars with a certain number will always be in the same position within a train (except that some trains reverse seasonally). Here is a thread about where cars are located within a train: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/32610-line-numbersconsist-listings/

I would book a hotel room for a night instead of hoping the trains will not be late for some of your connections. If you miss the Coast Starlight to Sunset Limited / Texas Eagle connection, the next train will be two or three days away, and this would seriously impact the entire rest of your trip. Also, even if Amtrak guarantees a connection that you miss and puts you on a later train, you might not get a Roomette on the substitution.
Many thanks again - that covers all of my cabins except City of New Orleans car 5809, room 19. Any ideas? I'm sure it'll be Ok anyway.

Cars with a certain number will always be in the same position within a train (except that some trains reverse seasonally). Here is a thread about where cars are located within a train: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/32610-line-numbersconsist-listings/

I would book a hotel room for a night instead of hoping the trains will not be late for some of your connections. If you miss the Coast Starlight to Sunset Limited / Texas Eagle connection, the next train will be two or three days away, and this would seriously impact the entire rest of your trip. Also, even if Amtrak guarantees a connection that you miss and puts you on a later train, you might not get a Roomette on the substitution.
Many thanks again - that covers all of my cabins except City of New Orleans car 5809, room 19. Any ideas? I'm sure it'll be Ok anyway.
Transdorm

amtrak-diagram-superliner-transitionsleeper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Transdorm

amtrak-diagram-superliner-transitionsleeper.jpg
Aha, superb. Many thanks.

Are you using a USA Railpass or buying individual tickets? If the southbound Coast Starlightis running very late when you get to Sacramento (after 9AM), you can make

it to Los Angeles about 3 hours before the SL/TE leaves by taking the bus to Stockton to catch the 712 San Joaquin south to Bakersfield. The drawback is that you miss

the coast view around Santa Barbara but the CS may be late enough that you get there long after sunset.

The other drawback is the 2:20 bus ride from Bakersfield to LAX.

Awww, ya shoulda done the CA Zephyr. I will recommend the Cardinal though, especially because it is winter. The trees will be less grown or bare, allowing for easier viewing of the New River Gorge in West Virginia (Montgomery, WV to Hinton, WV).

Are you using a USA Railpass or buying individual tickets?
https://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/selectpass

12 segments/30 days is $689 US

18 segments/45 days is $899 US

I got one on my cross country trip back in 2015. It then gives you more flexibility to choose trains (although some trains may not be available). You can see if you can get the SWC between CHI-LAX instead of getting stuck with the TE and the extra day on the train. One less day on the train means one extra day in Chicago or Los Angeles. From the dates and itinerary you might be able to fit everything on the 12 segment/30 day pass although it would be tight.

Yep. At Penn Station, Washington Union Station, Chicago Union Station, Philadelphia 30th Street Station and Seattle King Street Station the left luggage (now called Parcel Check) charge is $10 per bag, per 24 hours instead of the $5 per elsewhere.

Back