10% Point Rebate on AGR Redemptions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frugalist

Lead Service Attendant
Mrs. Frugalist and I both just got emails from AGR offering a 10% rebate on points used to redeem an AGR reward for Amtrak travel. Quoting from the email:

"Thanks for being an Amtrak Guest Rewards® World MasterCard® cardholder. Continuing to use your card now has even greater benefits. Each time you redeem for Amtrak® travel you will receive a 10% redemption rebate on all Amtrak travel, with points being redeposited into your Amtrak Guest Rewards account1."

So, a 20,000 point 1-zone bedroom reward will have an effective cost of 18,000 points.

I can't find any information about effective dates. Nor do I see any info about whether I'll get the rebate if I've already booked an AGR reward trip, but have not yet taken the trip (which is my situation).

Anyone else get this one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got that too. I have two upcoming AGR trips reserved. I was wondering if I should cancel and rebook them in order to get the rebate.

Same here!

I have 2 awards booked for 20k each, and my traveling partner has another 20K booked. So should I or should I not? :huh:

I just noticed this statement:

1 Each time you redeem for Amtrak® travel, you will receive a 10% rebate, with points being redeposited into your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Log in to your account at AmtrakGuestRewards.com. Offer limited to the member addressed in this communication. Terms and Conditions apply. First purchase points must have been awarded to be eligible for the 10% redemption rebate. See Terms and Conditions at AmtrakGuestRewards.com. Amtrak is wholly responsible for this rebate offer.
It appears to be targeted, but it also states you had to purchase points - which is most of us! :lol:
But I see nothing about dates or prior redeeming.

Update:

I called AGR Customer Support to ask them about this promotion. Both reps I spoke to knew of the promotion and were very helpful.

I asked the first rep the effective dates and she said it was good for any reservation starting today. She had no information about an ending date. She told me when they come up with an ending date they will notify us via email. I then asked her if my existing AGR reward reservation qualifies for the rebate and she said, "Absolutely!" She then transferred me to an AGR Reservations Agent to make the actual transaction.

The reservations agent was quick, courteous and helpful. I had my AGR account on my computer display as we talked. I gave him my reservation number and within 1 minute he had updated my account. This involved putting the 20,000 points needed for the reward back in my account (transaction 1), crediting my account with the 2,000 point rebate (transaction 2), then taking 20,000 points back out of my account (transaction 3). Net effect: 2,000 points added to my account. No change was made to my actual travel plans or the reservation number.

Since we booked our return trip on my wife's account, I asked the reservations agent if we could get the rebate for her account now too. The agent took my wife's information and, again within a minute or two, my wife's account was updated with an additional 2,000 points with no changes to our travel plans or the reservation number.

Kudos to Amtrak and AGR. Don't know how long this rebate will last, so I would suggest making reservations ASAP. They can always be cancelled later if necessary.

First purchase points must have been awarded to be eligible for the 10% redemption rebate. See Terms and Conditions at AmtrakGuestRewards.com. Amtrak is wholly responsible for this rebate offer. It appears to be targeted, but it also states you had to purchase points - which is most of us! :lol:
Traveler, I think you misinterpreted the bolded phrase. It refers to the bonus points you receive for making your first purchase with the AGR World MasterCard.

I don't think purchasing points is a requirement. H got this email today, too and he has not purchased any points (he is the one with the AGR card).

Dang it!! I booked two 20K trips but I called at 7:30 CDT and AGR closed at 8:00 EDT!

Okay, I just booked an AGR trip as well. I would think I would actually have to take the trip before getting the rebate right? I assume they automatically post too, or do I have to call about it too?

Okay, I just booked an AGR trip as well. I would think I would actually have to take the trip before getting the rebate right? I assume they automatically post too, or do I have to call about it too?
As I mentioned in message #4 above, my AGR account was credited for the rebate immediately, while still on the phone, with the AGR reservations agent this afternoon. My reservation was made in early February for travel in December.

I also received the email. I have the Chase card, so I guess it means that we now get a discount for any AGR awards. A 20,000 point award will only cost 18,000. So it would be like getting a 10% bonus on any AGR awards.

Hmnn... not much value unless one takes a free trip. I guess they thought this out.

So if you don't go anywhere (for free - with an award) then it would have little value. However - if there is no expiration on the bonus program, then that would even be better. I guess time will tell.

I just noticed that the 10% redemption rebate is now listed as one of the regular benefits of the AGR World MasterCard on the AGR site.

Your Ticket to: Free Rewards
One card. One purchase. Huge rewards. Every time you use the Amtrak Guest Rewards® World MasterCard® from Chase1, you’re earning your way towards great rewards like free Amtrak® travel. In fact, after one purchase anywhere the card is accepted, you get 6,000 bonus points2, which are enough points for these options:

* Up to three roundtrip Coach trips on select routes

* Airline miles or hotel points

* Movie cinema tickets or BroadwayShow points

* Much more

Plus, you get 2 points per $1 spent on every Amtrak purchase3, a 10% redemption rebate4 on all Amtrak travel and 1 point per $1 spent elsewhere, all with no annual fee.
Maybe this is a more-or-less permanent benefit. We can only hope.

Update:
The reservations agent was quick, courteous and helpful. I had my AGR account on my computer display as we talked. I gave him my reservation number and within 1 minute he had updated my account. This involved putting the 20,000 points needed for the reward back in my account (transaction 1), crediting my account with the 2,000 point rebate (transaction 2), then taking 20,000 points back out of my account (transaction 3). Net effect: 2,000 points added to my account. No change was made to my actual travel plans or the reservation number.
I just called this morning, and got a 4000 point rebate from my original 40,000 point redemption for my upcoming trip in April. :)

I was on hold 7 minutes for the first rep, then maybe another minute or so for the 2nd rep. The first guy said the long wait was because they were backed up, precisely because of the promotion with people calling in to request the 10% rebate.

It seems to me it would be easier if AGR would just credit everyone with existing reservations automatically vs. having to phone in etc.

What are they going by?? The date you redeemed the points (2/18/10) or the date that you will travel (7/21/10)

Kind of looks like they didn't have everything figured out when they announced the promo.

So if I get my points rebate of 10% back. Then later I decide I can't do my trip and I cancel. I wonder if they will catch that I already got a 2,000 point rebate or if it's overlooked and I get my full 20,000 points back. :) This is why I think its odd they give the point rebate BEFORE you do your trip instead of after. An agent might forget to go look to see if you got a rebate a while ago and credit account the full amount.

I just got that too. I have two upcoming AGR trips reserved. I was wondering if I should cancel and rebook them in order to get the rebate.
I just called and you don't have to cancel or rebook. The agent just kept my reservation :) but put back my points that I paid and recharged for the trip and the rebate was almost instant :) . I checked and it was there when I had hung up. :cool: my rebate was 4,000 points :) :) :) Oh happy days!

So if I get my points rebate of 10% back. Then later I decide I can't do my trip and I cancel. I wonder if they will catch that I already got a 2,000 point rebate or if it's overlooked and I get my full 20,000 points back. :) This is why I think its odd they give the point rebate BEFORE you do your trip instead of after. An agent might forget to go look to see if you got a rebate a while ago and credit account the full amount.
I'm certain their computer will flag it if you cancel. Just a guess.

Update:
I just called this morning, and got a 4000 point rebate from my original 40,000 point redemption for my upcoming trip in April. :)

I was on hold 7 minutes for the first rep, then maybe another minute or so for the 2nd rep. The first guy said the long wait was because they were backed up, precisely because of the promotion with people calling in to request the 10% rebate.

It seems to me it would be easier if AGR would just credit everyone with existing reservations automatically vs. having to phone in etc.
well what ever way we had to do it , it was worth the wait and $110 worth of points :) is nothing to sneeze at in my case. Even if you waited less that ten minutes. ;)

What are they going by?? The date you redeemed the points (2/18/10) or the date that you will travel (7/21/10)
Kind of looks like they didn't have everything figured out when they announced the promo.
It was figured out enough for them to give me back 4,000 points worth $110 :) . Let's all just roll with this one :cool: and maybe we will net enough points to start planning our next reward trip ;) .

Dang it!! I booked two 20K trips but I called at 7:30 CDT and AGR closed at 8:00 EDT!
Call them they will give it to you :) . I booked in Jan. and they gave it to me almost instantly :cool: . You can do this! My trip is may

The way it posted for me is that the rebate registered as separate "Bonus" point transactions. So quite possibly, if I canceled my 40,000 point trip, the 4K may stay up since it's a separate entry. OTOH, maybe the bonus is linked with the redemption and a cancellation would negate the bonus. Anyway, I'm not canceling.

The 2nd rep did ask me for my reservation number (made in early February) then she said "Yes that qualifies". So there might a number or code range they're looking at. Or, maybe it just matters that you haven't traveled yet. Or could it possibly even be retroactive? :eek:

Anyone want to try asking?

:angry: :angry: :angry: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :angry: :angry: :angry:

[RANT]

I called the regular (not select) number and was transferred to a 'redemption' expert. I explained what I wanted to do, as mentioned in the posts above. I have 3 AGR reservations totaling 62,000 points.

She inidcated this could not be done without cancelling and rebooking the reservations. I told her this had been done this morning at least 2 or 3 times based on what was posed in this thread. She even asked me about this thread and the website. I asked her how others could get the 10% redemption and yet she would not do the same. She indicated they had been told by the head of AGR (whoever that is) that they could not put the points back and re-charge them minus the 10%.

What 'department' did you guys talk to? Did you choose option 1 for booking an AGR trip or option 6 to talk to a rep?

I know I can call back and try again, but I am (as the British would say) miffed to say the least.

[/RANT]

:angry: :angry: :angry: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :angry: :angry: :angry:
What 'department' did you guys talk to? Did you choose option 1 for booking an AGR trip or option 6 to talk to a rep?
Talked to a rep; yes, it was option 6. My April trip was already booked and points were deducted Feb. 4. This morning, they credited back the original points, then deducted them again and also posted 2 X 2000 points as "Bonus" for a net redemption of 36,000 points, not 40,000 as originally deducted.

The 2nd rep was named Bridgette.

Same here!
I have 2 awards booked for 20k each, and my traveling partner has another 20K booked. So should I or should I not? :huh:

I just noticed this statement:

1 Each time you redeem for Amtrak® travel, you will receive a 10% rebate, with points being redeposited into your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Log in to your account at AmtrakGuestRewards.com. Offer limited to the member addressed in this communication. Terms and Conditions apply. First purchase points must have been awarded to be eligible for the 10% redemption rebate. See Terms and Conditions at AmtrakGuestRewards.com. Amtrak is wholly responsible for this rebate offer.
It appears to be targeted, but it also states you had to purchase points - which is most of us! :lol:
But I see nothing about dates or prior redeeming.
I got that in my email so I don't know how targeted it could be unless it is based like you said on buy points you did and maybe having the Chase card. On the other hand my sister has neither and she says she got it in her email. Never the less, I'm glad. :) I'm 4,000 points to the good ;) Worth $110 plus I have another 4,000 points to buy before I reach my 10,000 buy points limit for the year :blink: which will net me another 1,200 points toward my next reward of a two zone roomette my next vacation ;) . I'm all smiles. :) I'm just waiting for the first of April to buy my last 4,000. I bet the traveler has already broken the bank. ;)

Back