Hurricane Florence 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's Amtrak Service Advisory:

Modified Operating Service Continues After Hurricane FlorenceWednesday September 19, 2018 4:30 p.m. ETService South of Washington, D.C., Impacted

Due to severe weather impacts in the Southeast as a result of Hurricane Florence, Amtrak will continue to modify service through Saturday, Sept. 22. For the safety of our customers and employees, the schedules for the following trains will be adjusted.

Trains cancelled through Saturday, Sept. 22:

Auto Train (Lorton, Va. – Sanford, Fla.) Trains 52 & 53

Silver Meteor (New York City – Miami) Trains 97 & 98

Trains operating on a modified schedule:

Carolinian (New York City -- Charlotte, N.C.) Trains 79 & 80 will operate between Raleigh, NC and Charlotte, NC only on Thursday, Sept. 20.

Silver Star (New York City – Miami) Trains 91 & 92 will operate between Jacksonville, Fla., and Miami only through Saturday, Sept. 22

Palmetto (New York City – Savannah, Ga.) Trains 89 & 90 will operate between New York City and Washington, D.C., only through Saturday, Sept. 22

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL. Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/delayalerts.

Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

On Twitter, please follow @AmtrakNECalerts for service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela Express, Northeast Regional and other corridor services). For service information outside the Northeast Corridor, please follow @AmtrakAlerts for updates.

Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts. Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Yesterday, one could purchase tickets on 98 and 92 from ORL to NYP for travel on 9/24. As of now, that date shows "sold out" for both trains and in all classes of travel. However, as of now, it appears that one can purchase tickets on both trains from ORL to NYP for travel on 9/25.
I-95 is not fully open yet either.
As of this afternoon I-95 is now open in SC. I believe that was the last stretch of 95 to re open. Seats and Rooms are open on Tuesday's trains from Fla.

North Carolina newspapers have an article saying that the Silvers will resume service through NC on Sunday. I don’t know what they are sourcing that from.
I found this article:

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/amtrak-train-service-resumes-nc-ferry-operating-on-temporary-schedule-after-florence/83-596295171

GREENSBORO, N.C. (WFMY) --- Some normalcy is returning to North Carolina as Amtrak passenger train service is restored and the North Carolina Ferry system operates on a temporary schedule.

• Amtrak’s Silver Meteor service to Rocky Mount and Fayetteville will resume on Sunday. The service was cancelled Wednesday, Sept. 12.

• Amtrak Silver Star service to Rocky Mount, Raleigh, Cary, Southern Pines and Hamlet will resume on Sunday. It had been cancelled since Wednesday, Sept. 12.

• Amtrak Palmetto service to Rocky Mount, Wilson, Selma-Smithfield and Fayetteville will resume on Sunday. It had been cancelled since Wednesday, Sept. 12.

Just waiting for Amtrak senior management to start citing the lower ridership numbers on these trains with the multiple days of cancellations. Will they be honest and note that these trains suffered shutdowns due to weather in performance reports?

North Carolina newspapers have an article saying that the Silvers will resume service through NC on Sunday. I don’t know what they are sourcing that from.
I found this article:

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/amtrak-train-service-resumes-nc-ferry-operating-on-temporary-schedule-after-florence/83-596295171

GREENSBORO, N.C. (WFMY) --- Some normalcy is returning to North Carolina as Amtrak passenger train service is restored and the North Carolina Ferry system operates on a temporary schedule.

• Amtrak’s Silver Meteor service to Rocky Mount and Fayetteville will resume on Sunday. The service was cancelled Wednesday, Sept. 12.

• Amtrak Silver Star service to Rocky Mount, Raleigh, Cary, Southern Pines and Hamlet will resume on Sunday. It had been cancelled since Wednesday, Sept. 12.

• Amtrak Palmetto service to Rocky Mount, Wilson, Selma-Smithfield and Fayetteville will resume on Sunday. It had been cancelled since Wednesday, Sept. 12.
I heard from someone, that knows someone, who knows something, who informed me that the information in this article may not be accurate.

I found this article:

I heard from someone, that knows someone, who knows something, who informed me that the information in this article may not be accurate.
Probably based their info off the service alert

As of right now, one can still book train 98 from ORL to NYP on Tuesday 9/25. However, amtrak.com indicates that train 92 on Tuesday 9/25 is canceled.

9/23 and 9/24 show train 92 as canceled and 98 as sold out.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a serious danger now being posed to the S Line by the Pee Dee River near Cheraw SC, which is yet to crest and is already above the low beams of of the bridge girder just below track level. Also there is a dam a little upstream that is on the verge of breaching. The Star may be out for quite a while or need rerouting around that area, if that happens.

Welp, I'm boned--just got an email that the 91 is cancelled on 9/25.

EDIT: I was scheduled to be on that train, for the record. Not a huge deal...I really only need to be down there by 10/3, and I have no plans that can't be modified.

EDIT 2: The very nice lady I talked to moved me to the 91 on Wednesday the 26th. So, ummm, fingers crossed, I guess?

Yikes. Apparently the death toll has reached 36. Not to belittle anyone who has had travel plans screwed up from this, but just remember that a lot of people are going through much worse.

Meanwhil a chunk of Florence's energy has broken off and may develop into something near Bermuda and loop back towards the US mid-next week. If it does it will mostly be a rain maker and is unlikely to develop into a wind hazard, or so goes the current models and projections. If it develops into an identifiable system, it will apparently be called Kirk. So Captain Kirk might yet rain on the parade.

97 is still showing as a go for the 25th and is still booking. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Thanks for pointing this out--when I checked it earlier it said sold out or something similar. Now I am back to leaving on the 25th!

Here is today's service alert from Amtrak:

Service to North Carolina Resumes on Friday; Modified Schedules on Other Trains ContinueThursday September 20, 2018 4:30 p.m. ETService in Southeast Impacted due to Hurricane Florence

Service on the Carolinian (New York City to Charlotte) trains 79 & 80 will resume on Friday, Sept. 21. Amtrak will continue to modify service on trains to Georgia and Florida. Service has been impacted due to severe weather as a result of Hurricane Florence.

Amtrak will continue to modify service through Tuesday, Sept. 25. For the safety of our customers and employees, the schedules for the following trains will be adjusted.

Trains cancelled through Saturday, Sept. 22:

Silver Meteor (New York City – Miami) Trains 97 & 98

Trains cancelled through Sunday, Sept. 23:

Auto Train (Lorton, Va. – Sanford, Fla.) Trains 52 & 53

Trains operating on a modified schedule:

Silver Star (New York City – Miami) Trains 91 & 92 will operate between Jacksonville, Fla., and Miami only through Tuesday, Sept. 25

Palmetto (New York City – Savannah, Ga.) Trains 89 & 90 will operate between New York City and Washington, D.C., only through Monday, Sept. 24

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL. Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/delayalerts.

Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

On Twitter, please follow @AmtrakNECalerts for service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela Express, Northeast Regional and other corridor services). For service information outside the Northeast Corridor, please follow @AmtrakAlerts for updates.

Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts. Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

It looks like Arrow has been updated to reflect the latest advisory (at least with respect to trains 92 and 98 between ORL and NYP).

9/23 shows availability for train 98, and 92 canceled.

9/24 shows availability for train 98, and 92 canceled.

9/25 shows availability for train 98, and 92 canceled.

9/26 shows availability for both trains 98 and 92.

Here is the service resumption plan. T&E and OBS crews are being deadheaded into position to support this schedule resumption:

79/80, Carolinian, will resume full service tomorrow, Friday, 9/21.

97/98, Silver Meteor, will resume service on Sunday, 9/23.

52/53, Auto Train, will resume service on Monday, 9/24.

89/90, Palmetto, will resume service on Tuesday, 9/25.

91/92, Silver Star, will resume the full route on Wednesday, 9/26.

As of this morning (9/24/18) it looks like Invest 98L - a partial remnant of Florence is going to circle back skirting the outer banks on Wednesday as a Tropical Depression most likely, dumping another inch or so of rain. Nothing major.

The other remnant of Florence has become Leslie and will continue to spin around the mid-Atlantic for the next ten or so days.

Meanwhile Capn' Kirk (a Cape Verde tropical depression/storm/wave is whizzing across the Atlantic at close to 10 deg N as a Tropical Depression or a minimal Tropical Storm, and is projected to fixxle out into a Tropical Wave by the time it gets to the Caribbeans by Thursday.

So nothing spectacular likely to happen until the latter part of the first week of October at the earliest.

OTOH, a few rivers in the Carolians and Virginias are reportedly yet to crest, and a cold front passing by will dump some more rain on Wednesday. The same cold front will finally sweep 98L out to the sea for good this time hopefully.

Do we have anyone here who as of right now won't be able to make it to the Gathering because of the storm? I know some people have had to change their dates, but is anyone flat out stuck?

I am encouraged that yesterday's Silver Meteor made it to NYP this morning, apparently without any major delays or issues.

There are 3 of us that are scheduled on Wednesday's Silver Meteor. I believe that all 3 of us are planning to attend the Gathering. I am pretty sure that 2 of us would have canceled if the Silver Meteor was canceled.

I just checked Amtrak.com and it appears that the Silver Star is canceled for Wednesday. I do not know if any participants were planning to arrive on the Star.

The Silver Star is canceled north of Jacksonville again tomorrow, 9/26. Tentatively expecting resumption on Thursday, 9/27. Still waiting for the OK from CSX.

The Silver Star is canceled north of Jacksonville again tomorrow, 9/26. Tentatively expecting resumption on Thursday, 9/27. Still waiting for the OK from CSX.
AmtrakLKL was correct, the Star was canceled as of this morning. However, plans have changed again and 91/92 will operate normally on Wednesday, Sept 26, as originally planned. Crews are being positioned. Reservations are back open on Amtrak.com.

Back