Hurricane Florence 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been wondering about the condition of the road bed for the tracks with all of the rain that area has experienced. I worry that the East Coast LD trains may experience a very prolonged suspension of service if the road bed has been compromised.

I have been wondering about the condition of the road bed for the tracks with all of the rain that area has experienced. I worry that the East Coast LD trains may experience a very prolonged suspension of service if the road bed has been compromised.
It looks like Amtrak has just "canceled" (indicated as sold out) trains 92 and 98 (from ORL to NYP) through 9/23. It appears the first day that one can make reservations is 9/24. My guess is that date may be extended. I currently have a reservation for 9/26, which apparently is at risk.

For all this flooding the water around and under the tracks might mean a long time for the rails to stabilize. We may find slow orders all around the systems for months until the tracks are surfaced 2 or 3 times ? the tornado warning today just south of Richmond is just one more reason to limit trains south of WASH.

I noticed the admins have removed some posts since I was here early this morning, and probably rightfully so.
Which admin and why? Did the removed posts break any actual rules or did they simply illicit an emotional overreaction? Hard to say for sure when there is no record of the supposed infraction or corrective action. Silent and arbitrary rug sweeping seems to be the new normal on our fair forum. I'm not sure who is doing it but I wish they'd be honest and up front about it instead of hiding their handiwork deep in the shadows.

I noticed the admins have removed some posts since I was here early this morning, and probably rightfully so.
Which admin and why? Did the removed posts break any actual rules or did they simply illicit an emotional overreaction? Hard to say for sure when there is no record of the supposed infraction or corrective action. Silent and arbitrary rug sweeping seems to be the new normal on our fair forum. I'm not sure who is doing it but I wish they'd be honest and up front about it instead of hiding their handiwork deep in the shadows.
Political posts are against the rules in all forums other than AU Lounge.

Political Discussion

Except in The AU Lounge forum (as noted below), discussion of politics, political ideologies, office holders and candidates for office is not permitted unless directly related to the forum and topic where posted. Including political content within a post that is unrelated to the topic will result in removal of the entire post.

The AU Lounge forum hosts discussion of topics unrelated to rail and travel. Political discussion is permitted in The AU Lounge. Discussion can support or oppose political figures and ideologies whether associated with rail or not. While it OK to attack a politician or ideology in the The AU Lounge forum, attacking other members is not permitted.
http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/forum-3/announcement-9-amtrak-unlimited-rules-and-guidelines/

It looks like Amtrak has just "canceled" (indicated as sold out) trains 92 and 98 (from ORL to NYP) through 9/23. It appears the first day that one can make reservations is 9/24. My guess is that date may be extended. I currently have a reservation for 9/26, which apparently is at risk.
I'd look for slow orsers,freight congestion and even rerouting on the Silver and Auto-Trains Penny.
Long as the tracks and bridges are OK, the Silvers and Auto-train should be ( hopefully) running again by next weekend.

I flew from Newark to Orlando yesterday and even arrived 20 mins early. No problem at all. Now today TD Florence might cause a few headaches at some of the Northeast airports, but other than that no issues. They have generally been flying fine

Hopefully, it will be back on line for our return from the Gathering on the 30th!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully, it will be back on line for our return from the Gathering on the 30th!
Agreed. Fingers crossed.

Cape Fear River in Fayetteville is supposed to crest between Wednesday and Sunday few feet higher than it is today. That could cause it to overtop at least one railroad bridge across it. Fortunately that bridge is not on the route of Amtrak. Don’t know how the bridge on the Amtrak route further upriver is doing. But in general the flood situation is yet to hit its worst sometime as late as this coming weekend.

I-95 is apparently closed between Rocky Mount and Fayetteville. Which is not a good omen.

With I-95 closed in places there is not a good way for travel between Florida and NE
Could take a western swing around it...I-81 thru Knoxville and then I-75...the "scenic route"...I've done it and it does not take all that much longer

I've been keeping a close eye on this discussion as I'm scheduled for 97, NYP-JAX, on the 25th. They're still taking reservations for that date, but it seems as if it's unlikely service will be 100% by then. Obviously, even if they're running it may be a reroute and/or with significant slowdowns. Anyone with experience on this route (I'm normally a west coaster) have any idea what delays or a reroute might look like? I've got an appointment in JAX the evening of the 26th, and I've made contingency airline reservations to get there just in case, but I'd strongly prefer to take the train if at all possible - I want to see these new viewliner diners!

With I-95 closed in places there is not a good way for travel between Florida and NE
Could take a western swing around it...I-81 thru Knoxville and then I-75...the "scenic route"...I've done it and it does not take all that much longer
If the mountains of VA, NC & SC do not flood you can take I-81, I-77, I-26 until I-95 reopens.

I've been keeping a close eye on this discussion as I'm scheduled for 97, NYP-JAX, on the 25th. They're still taking reservations for that date, but it seems as if it's unlikely service will be 100% by then. Obviously, even if they're running it may be a reroute and/or with significant slowdowns. Anyone with experience on this route (I'm normally a west coaster) have any idea what delays or a reroute might look like? I've got an appointment in JAX the evening of the 26th, and I've made contingency airline reservations to get there just in case, but I'd strongly prefer to take the train if at all possible - I want to see these new viewliner diners!
I think it is too soon to guess if there will be a reroute and what it would be. If there are concerns about flooding, and the train is running, it may be running under slow orders. I live in Orlando and take the Silver Meteor quite often. My plans have been forced to change quite a few times as a result of storms in the South that prevented both Silvers from running.

I, too, am watching this discussion as I am scheduled for 98, ORL-NYP on the 26th, with no Plan B. BTW, the Viewliner diners are very nice.
default_smile.png

I don't think anyone was questioning whether to shut down Amtrak or not. I certainly wasn't. My only concern was that it was too soon to cancel on Wednesday. The roads were safe through Friday morning to truncate service then.

But I find it fascinating that one argument against mine was "the host railroads decide when to shut down", then this derailment happens. Why? Because they were operating into SUNDAY.

From Amtrak:

Modified Operating Service Continues After Hurricane FlorenceTuesday, September 18, 2018 1:30 PM ETService South of Washington, D.C., Impacted

Due to the continuing impact in the Southeast as a result of Hurricane Florence, Amtrak will continue to modify service through Thursday, Sept. 20. For the safety of our customers and employees, the schedules for the following trains will be adjusted.

Trains cancelled through Thursday, Sept. 20:

• Auto Train (Lorton, Va. – Sanford, Fla.) Trains 52 & 53
  • Silver Meteor (New York City – Miami) Trains 97 & 98
Trains operating on a modified schedule:

• Carolinian (New York City -- Charlotte, N.C.) Trains 79 & 80 will operate between Raleigh, NC and Charlotte, NC only on Wednesday, Sept. 19.
  • Silver Star (New York City – Miami) Trains 91 & 92 will operate between Jacksonville, Fla., and Miami only through Thursday, Sept. 20
  • Palmetto (New York City – Savannah, Ga.) Trains 89 & 90 will operate between New York City and Washington, D.C., only through Thursday, Sept. 20
Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL. Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/delayalerts.

Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

On Twitter, please follow @AmtrakNECalerts for service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela Express, Northeast Regional and other corridor services). For service information outside the Northeast Corridor, please follow @AmtrakAlerts for updates.

Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts. Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Yesterday, one could purchase tickets on 98 and 92 from ORL to NYP for travel on 9/24. As of now, that date shows "sold out" for both trains and in all classes of travel. However, as of now, it appears that one can purchase tickets on both trains from ORL to NYP for travel on 9/25.

I think it is too soon to guess if there will be a reroute and what it would be. If there are concerns about flooding, and the train is running, it may be running under slow orders. I live in Orlando and take the Silver Meteor quite often. My plans have been forced to change quite a few times as a result of storms in the South that prevented both Silvers from running.

I, too, am watching this discussion as I am scheduled for 98, ORL-NYP on the 26th, with no Plan B. BTW, the Viewliner diners are very nice.
default_smile.png
I'm jealous! I live out west where all we get are older-equipment Superliners (well, and the refurbed BC superliners on the coast starlight) for our long distance trains and I desperately want to see these new viewliners before the equipment gets dumpy with use.

Yesterday, one could purchase tickets on 98 and 92 from ORL to NYP for travel on 9/24. As of now, that date shows "sold out" for both trains and in all classes of travel. However, as of now, it appears that one can purchase tickets on both trains from ORL to NYP for travel on 9/25.
Touch wood, 25th is still open for booking on 98 though all Sleeper accommodation is sold out on it that day. 92 is open in both classes. 26th has availability in both classes on both 92 and 98.

Cape Fear River is very close to cresting. It is projected to go out of flood stage by the end of the coming weekend. That affects the Fayetteville area. Then there is Dillon SC. Don’t know the status there. I-95 is not fully open yet either.

CSX advisory:

CUSTOMER ADVISORY 9/18/2018: Florence Update

Although the storm has downgraded, Florence continues to deliver heavy rains and significant flooding in cities and towns across the Carolinas. At this time, CSX has issued an embargo on inbound traffic to facilities located between Lumberton, NC and Wilmington, NC. The embargo is effective beginning Tuesday, Sept. 18, and will remain in place until it is safe to resume operations.

CSX continues to reroute traffic in other storm-impacted areas to effectively meet customer needs, and our engineering team continues to assess the impacts to our infrastructure and restore service when and where it is safe to do so.

Network operations have been restored in the following areas:

• Savannah, GA to Florence, Columbia and Andrews, SC
  • Charleston, SC to Spartanburg, Florence, Georgetown, SC
  • Augusta, GA to Spartanburg, SC, Monroe and Hamlet, NC
  • Spartanburg, SC to Eastover, Lane, Orangeburg, Creston, Cross, SC

Further updates will be provided as impacted lines return to normal operation. Intermodal customers should refer to Real-Time Service Advisories for intermodal-specific operational actions.

default_smile.png
I'm jealous! I live out west where all we get are older-equipment Superliners (well, and the refurbed BC superliners on the coast starlight) for our long distance trains and I desperately want to see these new viewliners before the equipment gets dumpy with use.
I would say that you've still got plenty of time to enjoy the ViewDiners. Even when these cars are five years old, they'll still about 35 years younger than today's Superliners.

Here is an updated Amtrak service advisory:

Modified Operating Service Continues After Hurricane Florence Tuesday, September 18, 2018 4:00 PM ETService South of Washington, D.C., Impacted

Due to severe weather impacts in the Southeast as a result of Hurricane Florence, Amtrak will continue to modify service through Saturday, Sept. 22. For the safety of our customers and employees, the schedules for the following trains will be adjusted.

Trains cancelled through Saturday, Sept. 22:

• Auto Train (Lorton, Va. – Sanford, Fla.) Trains 52 & 53
  • Silver Meteor (New York City – Miami) Trains 97 & 98
Trains operating on a modified schedule:

• Carolinian (New York City -- Charlotte, N.C.) Trains 79 & 80 will operate between Raleigh, NC and Charlotte, NC only on Wednesday, Sept. 19.
  • Silver Star (New York City – Miami) Trains 91 & 92 will operate between Jacksonville, Fla., and Miami only through Saturday, Sept. 22
  • Palmetto (New York City – Savannah, Ga.) Trains 89 & 90 will operate between New York City and Washington, D.C., only through Saturday, Sept. 22
Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL. Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/delayalerts.

Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

On Twitter, please follow @AmtrakNECalerts for service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela Express, Northeast Regional and other corridor services). For service information outside the Northeast Corridor, please follow @AmtrakAlerts for updates.

Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts. Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Back