rare miles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yarrow

Engineer
far ne washington state, 1/2 mile from canada
i see amtrak 5 is going by way of feather river canyon today. that got me to thinking of the "best" rare miles amtrak sometimes travels. feather river and tehachapi are at the top of my list. what are some others that folks have travelled or dream of doing?

i see amtrak 5 is going by way of feather river canyon today. that got me to thinking of the "best" rare miles amtrak sometimes travels. feather river and tehachapi are at the top of my list. what are some others that folks have travelled or dream of doing?
Agree with your two BEST, want to mention the biggest Disappointment Re-Route, that being the California Zephyr when its sent through Wyoming and misses the Colorado Mountains, River and Canyons! Sort of like riding the Sunset Ltd. through West Texas /N. Mexico/Arizona! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree... the Feather River reroute is spectacular (I did that in 2008), the Wyoming reroute (I did that in 2009) is a snoozer, except for Castle Rock. Oh and my dream reroute would probably be something on the ex Northern Pacific through Montana... fat chance I know.. but a guy can dream right?

My dream re-route is ANYWHERE on a train!
laugh.gif

I wouldn't mind getting rerouted on the EB thru Canada on the VIA route LOL :)

My dream reroute is the TSA to the rubbish bin of history.

More seriously...what are the major reroutes that tend to come up?

How about the CS on the Feather River and Hi-Line to Klamath Falls? Or better all the way on up the BNSF and then down the Stampede Pass to Seattle?

Rob

I'd like to see the CL or LSL rerouted on the old Broadway Limited (pennsylvania RR trackage) West of Pittsburgh. It doesn't make sense having two trains hit many of the same stations on their run to CHI.

Feather river and tehachapi are probably at the top of my list right now. As of about a year ago, the Buckingham Branch between Gordonsville and Doswell/Richmond was also on that list, but I got extremely lucky and rode the Silver Star on that route last spring. What a blast that was!

Rafi

I have to agree... the Feather River reroute is spectacular (I did that in 2008), the Wyoming reroute (I did that in 2009) is a snoozer, except for Castle Rock. Oh and my dream reroute would probably be something on the ex Northern Pacific through Montana... fat chance I know.. but a guy can dream right?
It's possible, I think, to ride the Feather River route on the Altamont Commuter Express every weekday. Not the same as having a Sightseer Lounge, of course! But still, it is accessible.

I think this is possible as a day-trip, starting and ending in SF (or anywhere within BART of SF):

Caltrain to San Jose

ACE to Stockton via Feather River, arrives by 6pm

switch stations in Stockton

San Joaquin to OKJ, departs Stockton at 8pm

Next time I'm out that way, if the schedules still work for this I'm doing it. So while we're talking about it, which side of the canyon is prettier? I'm guessing on a packed commuter train, you don't have much opportunity to look out the side you're not sitting on.

My all time best was when the Canadian was rerouted onto the cp between Sudbury and Winnipeg. This is the route along thunder bay. Spectacular in a dome car.

A neat one for me was the Texas eagle detour over ex c&ei tracks that my grandfather worked on. We rode by our railfaning spot too. That was deep. Hr was the first to teach me about the technical aspects of trains. I am sure I was the only 3rd grader alive telling my teacher the ic roadbed was worse going northbound than southbound. Lol

It's possible, I think, to ride the Feather River route on the Altamont Commuter Express every weekday. Not the same as having a Sightseer Lounge, of course! But still, it is accessible.

I think this is possible as a day-trip, starting and ending in SF (or anywhere within BART of SF):

Caltrain to San Jose

ACE to Stockton via Feather River, arrives by 6pm

switch stations in Stockton

San Joaquin to OKJ, departs Stockton at 8pm

Next time I'm out that way, if the schedules still work for this I'm doing it. So while we're talking about it, which side of the canyon is prettier? I'm guessing on a packed commuter train, you don't have much opportunity to look out the side you're not sitting on.
The route taken by ACE to Stockton uses part of the old Western Pacific line from Oakland to Sacramento, but it is not the Feather River line. The Feather River line is through the Sierras between Portola and Oroville. That portion of the Union Pacific (former WP) does not host any scheduled passenger service and, unlike the Wyoming reroute, only rarely hosts passenger detours.

My two cents on the Wyoming detour: I love it. No, it's not the Colorado Rockies, but it has some great western scenery in its own right. It is worth the trip.

I'd like to see the CL or LSL rerouted on the old Broadway Limited (pennsylvania RR trackage) West of Pittsburgh. It doesn't make sense having two trains hit many of the same stations on their run to CHI.
Except that Cleveland is a far bigger market than anything else between CHI & PGH. Not sure that gaining Fort Wayne (about the same size as Toledo, actually a little smaller) would make up for losing CLE.

Except that Cleveland is a far bigger market than anything else between CHI & PGH. Not sure that gaining Fort Wayne (about the same size as Toledo, actually a little smaller) would make up for losing CLE.
Cleveland isn't that much of a market for the Capitol Limited. Toledo's actually almost twice as big (at 10%) as Cleveland (4%+<3%), mainly because the hours at Cleveland are just awful.

Cleveland isn't that much of a market for the Capitol Limited. Toledo's actually almost twice as big (at 10%) as Cleveland (4%+<3%), mainly because the hours at Cleveland are just awful.
True. I should have looked up passenger counts, rather than just basing my comment on population numbers.

I am hoping to someday be on the CZ Feather River Canyon Route! Would gladly take CZ #6 back through Wyoming for a trip through the Feather River Canyon.

A very interesting topic!

Here goes my "wish list":

CZ from Chicago all the way to Oakland on UP via former CNW to Omaha, UP via North Platte, Cheyenne, Ogden, Winnemucca, and then former WP via Feather River Canyon.

Eagle/Sunset from Fort Worth to El Paso on former TP via Big Spring.

Silver Meteor Jacksonville to Miami on FEC (maybe happening soon?).

CZ from Denver to Glenwood Springs via Pueblo, Royal Gorge, and Tennessee Pass.

LSL from New York to Buffalo via Port Jervis, Binghamton, Elmira, Hornell, then via former Nickel Plate or Erie routes or what's left of them from Buffalo to Chicago.

Alternate--LSL from Albany to Buffalo via Binghamton.

Add me to Tehachapi queue.

Coast Starlight from California to Oregon on Siskiyou line.

SWC via Amarillo.

NEC from Newark to Washington on CSX 'Royal Blue' route.

All of these are routes that would contain a lot of 'new mileage' for me. There are tons of other possibilites, many of which I have already ridden in early Amtrak years

or previously to Amtrak. Alas, there are some great routes that no longer even exist.

I could go on, but lets hear from others..... :)

True. I should have looked up passenger counts, rather than just basing my comment on population numbers.
Nonetheless, if serving a relatively populated area during bad hours doesn't generate ridership, then serving far less populated areas during those same hours would do next to nothing.

Having both the Lake Shore and Capitol Limited serve the same route saves Amtrak tons of money in crew costs (use a common crew base and not have to worry about qualifying crews on so many different lines), station costs, etc.

I really like the Wyoming detour- from a transportation perspective, it knocks 10% off of the travel time from Chicago to Emeryville which is pretty significant. Lots of interesting places to look at out the window and lots of wildlife. The 30 mph canyon crawl through the rockies is scenic, but that route might be better served by a tourist railroad. I'll cheerfully admit that this is not a popular notion!

I suppose thew most obvious one for me would be going from MKE to Madison via the WSOR route. Other options would include going from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale via Cincinnati & the Royal Palm route.

I suppose thew most obvious one for me would be going from MKE to Madison via the WSOR route. Other options would include going from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale via Cincinnati & the Royal Palm route.
How about Milwaukee to Chicago via Kenosha? Ever done that?

But that still does notmean running two trains one chasing the others marker makes much sense.

Nonetheless, if serving a relatively populated area during bad hours doesn't generate ridership, then serving far less populated areas during those same hours would do next to nothing.
Actually Fort Wayne would be served at about the same time as Toledo is (roughly speaking) and when Broadway ran through Ft. Wayne it was a significant traffic generator. So I would not be so sure that it will do worse than Cleveland

Having both the Lake Shore and Capitol Limited serve the same route saves Amtrak tons of money in crew costs (use a common crew base and not have to worry about qualifying crews on so many different lines), station costs, etc.
That is indeed true but minimizing crew cost is but one consideration. In the absurd limit that would suggest that the Cardinal should also run on the same route. :) Actually it would very very significantly reduce the cost of running the Cardinal. :)

I think this again boils down ultimately to "what is the goal of running LD trains?". If it is just to connect New York to Chicago with no concern for how many communities are served on the way, then, yes, run all trains between those two points on the same route. But I don't believe that should be the primary goal of Amtrak LD trains.

The unique differentiator of trains from planes is that trains are good at serving en-route communities efficiently and I think Amtrak should strive to even at slightly higher operating costs to take advantage of that unique ability of trains. Otherwise they could just become another airline and I am sure they will fail spectacularly absent very significant increase in speeds and reduction of running times.

Coming back to rare miles, I'd throw in Alexandria to Richmond via Buckingham Branch RR, two possible alternatives:

1. Alexandria - Orange - Doswell - Richmond Staple Mill (Auto Train a few Silvers did this in the recent past and our own Rafi was on one of them)

2. Alexandria - Orange - Doswell (Doswell Sub) Richmond Main St.

3. Empire Builder on the route of the North Coast Hiawatha slightly modified through Billing and Helena in stad of Billings Butte,

4. Empire Builder through Stampede Pass (Spokane - Pasco - Yakima - Ellensburg - Seattle) has this line been reactivated again or is it still dormant?

Some rare miles that are impossible for use by any conceivable Amtrak reroutes and have never been served by Amtrak in the past:

1. Albany - Oneonta - Binghamton - Tuckahanock Viaduct - Scranton (done by Amtrak special to Steamtown)

2. Scranton - Pocono Summit - Delaware Water Gap (done a couple of times each year by Steamtown Special)

And some conceivable Amtrak restorations:

1. Sunset East.

2. Pioneer - Salt Lake City - Ogden - Pocatello - Boise -Nampa - Hinkle - Hood River - Portland.

3. Desert Wind - Salt Lake City - Las Vegas NV - Barstow - San Bernardino - Los Angeles

4. North Coast Hiawatha - Chicago - Minneapolis - Fargo - Miles City - Billings - Livingston - Helena - Missoula - Sandpoint - Spokane - Seattle.

5. The Lone Star - Kansas City - Newton - Wichita - Ponca City - Oklahoma City - Fort Worth (this might actually happen)

Could please PLEASE. Make a site that posts rare mile opportunities :wub:

This would include Amtrak and commuter detours and the occasional private trip (like the annual aaprco trip) that you can buy tickets for. Sadly you cannot use ARG miles for those or pay less than an arm and a leg :lol:

But seriously a site where people can post and update that type of information, even if it is a few hours before the trip would be an asset to rail fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back