Possible new site for AU Gathering V ???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

had8ley

Engineer
According to the 9/28 Beaumont, TX Enterprise the city is set to close on the land and the plans for a new Amtrak depot on November 5th. Maybe it'll be ready for our gathering next year ??? :ph34r: :help: :lol:

According to the 9/28 Beaumont, TX Enterprise the city is set to close on the land and the plans for a new Amtrak depot on November 5th. Maybe it'll be ready for our gathering next year ???
I'm guessing if Beaumont had to pay the full costs of that station instead of sucking up scarce federal dollars they would have put it downtown on the KCS tracks where it belongs.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the 9/28 Beaumont, TX Enterprise the city is set to close on the land and the plans for a new Amtrak depot on November 5th. Maybe it'll be ready for our gathering next year ??? :ph34r: :help: :lol:
No beer joints or bars around there Jay, we would have to drink water and Diet sodas, which come to think of it might improve the behaviour of our members greatly! :lol: Ive read that Beaumont is going to become a Flag Stop, it is a crew change stop so does this mean the pax on the Sunset wont have the pleasure of hanging out on the cement slab "station" anymore? :giggle:

I passed through Beaumont last Saturday morning.

I didn't see the cement slab - or anything else!!

Beaumont can't be a site for Gathering V! If it continues to go

1. Central
  2. West
  3. East
  4. Central
  5. West
  6. East
  7. Central,
Beaumont could be Gathering VII - maybe they'll have a new re-furbished cement slab by then!
laugh.gif
They may even upgrade to a new Amshack!
mosking.gif

1. Central
  2. West
  3. East
  4. Central
  5. West
  6. East
  7. Central,
Beaumont could be Gathering VII - maybe they'll have a new re-furbished cement slab by then!
laugh.gif
mosking.gif
Where was the west Gathering held?

1. Central
  2. West
  3. East
  4. Central
  5. West
  6. East
  7. Central,
laugh.gif
mosking.gif
2 was in LA

5 has yet to be determined. Seattle and Portland have been discussed.

1. Central
  2. West
  3. East
  4. Central
  5. West
  6. East
  7. Central,
laugh.gif
mosking.gif
2 was in LA

5 has yet to be determined. Seattle and Portland have been discussed.
If in SEA or PDX I will be there.

I thought the initial consensus from the original AUG5 thread was for a West Coast city? If so I would strongly suggest Vancouver! I'd be happy with Portland or Seattle as well, but Vancouver would be my top pick. Plus our tickets could add to the Cascade numbers that might help convinced Canada to stop holding the second daily run hostage for political reasons. Thoughts?

If so I would strongly suggest Vancouver! I'd be happy with Portland or Seattle as well, but Vancouver would be my top pick. ... Thoughts?
Vancouver, Washington?
huh.gif
That's my top pick also!
mosking.gif

Then we could ride a few miles south to Portland, or a few miles more to Seattle! And the EB and CS. along with the Cascades all serve VAN too!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I thought you guys could all come to my place next year?

Local Station

Ed :cool:
Aloha

It would be fun to have a gathering in your back yard, but I think Amtrak ticketing might have troubles handling such a trip. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wub:
To maximize train riding the routing would be:

Amtrak to EWR.

CO to Manchester

Train to Nottingham

:)

But I do shudder to think the systemic shock that some folks on this forum would suffer having to go through both TSA and Customs and Immigration and British Security on the way back, and shudder having to fly in between. :lol:

Amtrak to EWR.

CO to Manchester

Train to Nottingham
Amtrak to EWR, KLM to Amsterdam, Thalys to Brussels or Paris, Eurostar to London, East Midlands Trains to Nottingham :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
No beer joints or bars around there Jay, we would have to drink water and Diet sodas, which come to think of it might improve the behaviour of our members greatly! :lol: Ive read that Beaumont is going to become a Flag Stop, it is a crew change stop so does this mean the pax on the Sunset wont have the pleasure of hanging out on the cement slab "station" anymore? :giggle:
Well we could open "Jim & Jay's Watering Hole" but Amtrak would change the crew change point and board up the depot the day we opened for business. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Local Station

Wow that looks like quite a train station! I can't imagine a group of 30 or 40 AU members all boarding a plane together with Whooz wearing a fez and shouting whatever slogan he designs for a gathering across the pond. I think the flight crew would divert us to Iceland :lol:
Unless TSA diverts us somewhere else first :lol:

Local Station

Wow that looks like quite a train station! I can't imagine a group of 30 or 40 AU members all boarding a plane together with Whooz wearing a fez and shouting whatever slogan he designs for a gathering across the pond. I think the flight crew would divert us to Iceland :lol:
Unless TSA diverts us somewhere else first :lol:
I'd doubt we would get much further than Boston - if not JFK!
laugh.gif

Well,

I guess you could come via Japan and the Trans Siberian railroad..

The picture of the Midland Station in Nottingham is pretty much how it looks today. There is an area within the wall which is roofed with glass, and features Taxi ranks, etc. The entrance to the booking hall is on the left in the second photo.. I guess it was the same in 1990, just 20 years younger!

Inner view of station.

It is quite ornate, and has been the starting point for many of my trips to Europe and America..

Has anyone thought that the gathering should take place aboard train.. We could travel from CHI to EMY by train.. just think of the savings on hotels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back