Boarding In Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmorris56

Train Attendant
Hi,

It's me again. All of you are going to wish my trip would hurry up and get here if I don't stop asking questions. I have three months from tomorrow. Maybe I should say all of you have three months from tomorrow. OK heres the question. Since we have a roomette on the EB and I know which car and room when we are called to board can we go straight to our car or do we have to wait to be directed there? Thank you again. I hope you understand what I,m asking

Dale

Since your First Class that will give you the priviledge of using the Metropolitan Lounge at CUS. You will get to board early before coach and have alot more comfortable place to "chill" before boarding. When they announce you can board, the service personel of the train will be standing outside the train directing you where you need to go. You won't be "on your own" per se, but you will get to board before coach.

Don't worry about questions, when I first joined this forum my name was "rail rookie" and I fired question after question at everyone. This is EXACTLY what this forum is for! :)

That is a great tip about CUS's Amtrak lounge. It is there for First Class pax.(but since I had a roomette they let me in anyway :p ) Seriously though, do take advantage of the Lounge they have a bag check room so you can leave your luggage and go outside,or just wander around and check out the Station. They have nice comfortable chairs in a quiet area,with refreshments and snacks. We had about 5 hours between trains and didn't know about the Lounge until 3 hours out in the madhouse of the regular waiting area.The two hours in the lounge was like heaven! When it was time to board they led us out to our train where we met our sleeping car attndnt.(SCA) each sleeping car has its own attndnt. He told us where to go once we boarded,in our case it was just inside to the right.After He got everyone aboard he came in and took our dinner resrvtns. and told us about the showers restrooms,juice,coffee,ice,how he ran his sleeping car,and when he would like to put the beds down. He really made our trip enjoyable and it was a pleasure to ride in his sleeper. Hope this helps as I am still a newbie myself. I've found out alot from these guy's and learned they love pest!! :D Hope you have a great trip!! I've got one month and 16 days until my 15 day trip so I know the feeling of counting down.Have fun

You can use the Metropolitan Lounge whenever you are departing OR arriving on a train as a First Class passenger (in a roomette or bedroom) - even if the other train is in coach or business class! ;)

Hi,It's me again. All of you are going to wish my trip would hurry up and get here if I don't stop asking questions. I have three months from tomorrow. Maybe I should say all of you have three months from tomorrow. OK heres the question. Since we have a roomette on the EB and I know which car and room when we are called to board can we go straight to our car or do we have to wait to be directed there? Thank you again. I hope you understand what I,m asking

Dale
If you'd like to see how the announcement will be made in the Metro Lounge, view the first part of the attached video. When they open the doors leading to the tracks, just follow along with the others to the train. If you're in the Portland sleeper, you'll be in the very last car; if in one of the Seattle sleepers your car will be toward the front. So you can just head there. And ask the Attendant (typically standing by the door) to verify that you're at the right car. Incidentally, the Metro Lounge can be quite crowded from noon on, since not only are EB passengers waiting there, but also passengers for the California Zephyr. And as Traveler mentioned, there are more than just outbound sleeping car passengers present, since passengers arriving by sleeper but going out coach can be there also (as I was one time). But it is still much better than the general waiting area, so be sure to take advantage of it. Just arrive early if you care where you sit in the Lounge (e.g. to watch a TV set). I think you'll really enjoy the trip. The EB is a great ride.

Something I will mention is that even if you know where your going "car # and Room #" it is pretty standard to wait at the doorway of your car for your attendant, he can show you to your room, help with luggage if needed etc. Most attendants kinda like to know that the passengers are going to correct rooms etc., and its there job to keep things organized.

So yea... it's not like you will have to wait in a long line.. Sleeper Class Passengers (how hard is that people : ) ) do get to board early from the Metropolitan Lounge... but its not like you will just be wandering out to the platform and looking for the car.

Something I will mention is that even if you know where your going "car # and Room #" it is pretty standard to wait at the doorway of your car for your attendant, he can show you to your room, help with luggage if needed etc. Most attendants kinda like to know that the passengers are going to correct rooms etc., and its there job to keep things organized.
So yea... it's not like you will have to wait in a long line.. Sleeper Class Passengers (how hard is that people : ) ) do get to board early from the Metropolitan Lounge... but its not like you will just be wandering out to the platform and looking for the car.
Sleeper class passenger enjoy First Class Travel and Service. It may not be called as such but lets go to the dictionary.

first-class (fûrstkls)

adj.

1. Constituting or belonging to the first, highest, or best group in a system of classification: a first-class hotel; first-class mail, first class travel, first class restaurant

2. Of the foremost excellence or highest quality; first-rate: a first-class mind.

Since sleeper class fits the above definition as the highest classification in a group, it is without question FIRST CLASS travel. It doesn't have to be called first class to be first class. It is by definition.

As for Chicago, we will be there in June and our return trip is on the Capitol Limited at 6:40 PM. We will get there early as other forum members have told us that due to the depature times, dinner is actually begun at the station before the train has departed. You can go to your room by yourself but since each sleeper car has an attendent they will usually direct you to your room. It usually pretty easy. I don't know about the EB but the CL only has two or three sleeper cars.

You can go to your room by yourself but since each sleeper car has an attendent they will usually direct you to your room. It usually pretty easy. I don't know about the EB but the CL only has two or three sleeper cars.
The difference between the EB and most other trains is that it has sleepers in 2 locations (because the train splits in SPK). If your car is 27xx, it is the last car. If your car is 07xx, it is at the front of the EB.

....Sleeper class passenger enjoy First Class Travel and Service. It may not be called as such but lets go to the dictionary.
first-class (fûrstkls)

adj.

1. Constituting or belonging to the first, highest, or best group in a system of classification: a first-class hotel; first-class mail, first class travel, first class restaurant

2. Of the foremost excellence or highest quality; first-rate: a first-class mind.

Since sleeper class fits the above definition as the highest classification in a group, it is without question FIRST CLASS travel. It doesn't have to be called first class to be first class. It is by definition.
Amtrak stopped classifying sleeping car passenger as "First Class" due to passenger expectations that First Class passengers would not have to pay for meals, beverages and snacks. Acela First Class provides that level of service - you want for nothing, and the service is continuous. Sleeping car service does not provide that level of service. Sleeping car passengers get meals at mealtime in the dining car or delivered from the dining car. Sleeping car passengers do not get complimentary alcoholic beverages at any time (except for limited offerings on the Empire Builder and the Auto Train), or any food or beverages other than dining car meals (except for coffee, juice and water as set out by the car attendant). So, yes, sleeping car passengers get upgraded service compared to coach, but they do not get First Class service, by Amtrak's or general travel definition.

Last edited by a moderator:
....Sleeper class passenger enjoy First Class Travel and Service. It may not be called as such but lets go to the dictionary.
first-class (fûrstkls)

adj.

Amtrak stopped classifying sleeping car passenger as "First Class" due to passenger expectations that First Class passengers would not have to pay for meals, beverages and snacks. Acela First Class provides that level of service - you want for nothing, and the service is continuous. Sleeping car service does not provide that level of service. Sleeping car passengers get meals at mealtime in the dining car or delivered from the dining car. Sleeping car passengers do not get complimentary alcoholic beverages at any time (except for limited offerings on the Empire Builder and the Auto Train), or any food or beverages other than dining car meals (except for coffee, juice and water as set out by the car attendant). So, yes, sleeping car passengers get upgraded service compared to coach, but they do not get First Class service, by Amtrak's or general travel definition.

We can debate semantics, but my point is that it doesn't have to be titled first class to fit the precise definition of first class as per the dictionary. The Acela may offer better food and drink service but there is no sleeper service. You sit up in a chair and don't have a private room with a bath, but this is still the best in the catagory or highest in the group. , hence I agree, first class service.

When it comes to sleeper service we paid for and are getting the highest level of service available for that classification - first class as defined by Websters dictionary. Tonight we are dining in a first class restaurant. It is not advertised as such but the food and service are above the rest, hence that is also first class by definition- first rate, or highest quality in the group. If there is an attendent on the train that gives better service than all of the others the he/she is a first class attendent. Amtrak may not refer to them as such but they are. Call it what you will but I prefer to use proper English.

When it comes to sleeper service we paid for and are getting the highest level of service available for that classification
No, you're not. PRR 60 explained the perks of first class that you're not getting in sleeper class. Consider it this way - if you fly in an aircraft that's only configured for Business Class and Coach, does that mean that people that get a Business Class ticket are magically considered First Class? (absolutely not - "best available class" maybe)

When it comes to sleeper service we paid for and are getting the highest level of service available for that classification - first class as defined by Websters dictionary.
Here's a good example to contradict your example.

Take the Lincoln Service between CHI and STL. It offers only coach and business class. You pay more for business class, and (I think) get some extras. Thus it is "the highest level of service available for that classification" (that train does not offer sleepers) - and thus per Websters and you should be considered first class. However, just having a BC ticket on the LS would not admit you into the Metropolitan Lounge! :rolleyes:

You can use the Metropolitan Lounge whenever you are departing OR arriving on a train as a First Class passenger (in a roomette or bedroom) - even if the other train is in coach or business class! ;)
A slight clarification. I believe the rule is if you have been or will be a first class/sleeper class passenger on the same day, then you are eligible for the lounge. For example, if you switch from sleeper to coach at Toledo on the westbound LSL or CL.

Just out of curiosity, when do they normally start boarding the sleeper passengers for the EB and CZ departures from the lounge? Assuming they are expecting an on-time departure that is.

When it comes to sleeper service we paid for and are getting the highest level of service available for that classification
No, you're not. PRR 60 explained the perks of first class that you're not getting in sleeper class. Consider it this way - if you fly in an aircraft that's only configured for Business Class and Coach, does that mean that people that get a Business Class ticket are magically considered First Class? (absolutely not - "best available class" maybe)

Rather than to argue the point I will simply go with Websters dictionary definition of First Class as stated and explained in my post. If you wish to have the dictionary meaning of First Class changed write to Websters and make your point.

Rather than to argue the point I will simply go with Websters dictionary definition of First Class as stated and explained in my post. If you wish to have the dictionary meaning of First Class changed write to Websters and make your point.
The dictionary meaning supports my (and the_traveller, and PRR 60's) points of view. You're welcome to continue to misinterpret the definition at will.

The dictionary meaning supports my (and the_traveller, and PRR 60's) points of view. You're welcome to continue to misinterpret the definition at will.
And for those of us that use the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) the US has nothing resembling first class, either on the ground, or in the air.

And that's a great disappointment to those of us that were brought up on the greatness of the US in the 50's and 60's. Now that we can afford to ride the great routes it's just so much of a lesser experience. The dollar is king and and the bottom line is everything.

I'll be crossing the US in March and returning in April and will enjoy a level of service at the back of the aircraft which will place Acela service in the shade. A very dark shade.

A slight clarification. I believe the rule is if you have been or will be a first class/sleeper class passenger on the same day, then you are eligible for the lounge. For example, if you switch from sleeper to coach at Toledo on the westbound LSL or CL.
I used the Acela lounge at Boston despite the fact i was leaving on the Lake Shore stub train in Business class (this was before the sleepers were returned to Boston).

And for those of us that use the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) the US has nothing resembling first class, either on the ground, or in the air.
And that's a great disappointment to those of us that were brought up on the greatness of the US in the 50's and 60's. Now that we can afford to ride the great routes it's just so much of a lesser experience. The dollar is king and and the bottom line is everything.

I'll be crossing the US in March and returning in April and will enjoy a level of service at the back of the aircraft which will place Acela service in the shade. A very dark shade.
If it's so bad, why don't you just stay home them, and save us the lectures on how we've slipped as a society? That'd be great.

does anyone know why Konrad is so anti-American sheesh does Australia have high speed electric trains no. they don't have anything like japan or china or France etc no. so quit telling us how our train system sucks when yours is no better. I agree IF YOU HATE AMERICA SO MUCH QUIT COMING HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's so bad, why don't you just stay home them, and save us the lectures on how we've slipped as a society? That'd be great.
Obviously Konrad does enjoy the US and that's why he visits. I take his comments as that what we have isn't what it used to be AND it isn't as good as other parts of the world (not including Australia) and that we shouldn't think of Amtrak as 'first class'.

SO I take his opinion as a good outside perspective. I don't think he is complaining, just giving us a perspective. And we HAVE slipped as a society, and sometimes we need to be reminded of this.

SO Konrad, come and enjoy what we do have. You obviously have a grasp on what it is and have set your expectations accordingly. Please spend you money as Lord knows we need it now.

Not all of us take your opinion as anti-American rhetoric.

Obviously Konrad does enjoy the US and that's why he visits. I take his comments as that what we have isn't what it used to be AND it isn't as good as other parts of the world (not including Australia) and that we shouldn't think of Amtrak as 'first class'.

SO I take his opinion as a good outside perspective. I don't think he is complaining, just giving us a perspective. And we HAVE slipped as a society, and sometimes we need to be reminded of this.

SO Konrad, come and enjoy what we do have. You obviously have a grasp on what it is and have set your expectations accordingly. Please spend you money as Lord knows we need it now.

Not all of us take your opinion as anti-American rhetoric.
I want to second your comments AAARGH, I too fell that Konrad was just giving an outsiders view of our country. It hasn't turned him against wanting to pay us a visit and see what all we do have to offer. I hope he has an enjoyable rail adventure and meets many friendly Americans along the way.

oh come on all his posts are about how hes givin up on amtrak they suck we suck as americans etc etc. im not the only member of this forum who agrees.

oh come on all his posts are about how hes givin up on amtrak they suck we suck as americans etc etc. im not the only member of this forum who agrees.
Then why is he coming here to ride Amtrak? If he were not, I would agree with your assesment. Some of his posts have been a bit pointed (bordering on bashing). But when you add the context of him spending his money on Amtrak, I see it differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back