Boarding In Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh come on all his posts are about how hes givin up on amtrak they suck we suck as americans etc etc. im not the only member of this forum who agrees.
Then why is he coming here to ride Amtrak? If he were not, I would agree with your assesment. Some of his posts have been a bit pointed (bordering on bashing). But when you add the context of him spending his money on Amtrak, I see it differently.
Except that I believe that he's said that he's done riding Amtrak in other threads.

This statement seems to indicate that he'll be flying and not using Amtrak on his upcoming trip.

I'll be crossing the US in March and returning in April and will enjoy a level of service at the back of the aircraft which will place Acela service in the shade. A very dark shade.

And for those of us that use the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) the US has nothing resembling first class, either on the ground, or in the air.
And that's a great disappointment to those of us that were brought up on the greatness of the US in the 50's and 60's. Now that we can afford to ride the great routes it's just so much of a lesser experience. The dollar is king and and the bottom line is everything.

I'll be crossing the US in March and returning in April and will enjoy a level of service at the back of the aircraft which will place Acela service in the shade. A very dark shade.
If it's so bad, why don't you just stay home them, and save us the lectures on how we've slipped as a society? That'd be great.
Too late! I'll be arriving in under 6 weeks But I'll be flying direct into JFK.

Might try and fit in a day trip to Albany but I'll go with low expectations of the service and punctuality.

Or maybe I might just hire a car for the day.

Might try and fit in a day trip to Albany but I'll go with low expectations of the service and punctuality.

Or maybe I might just hire a car for the day.
Albany, barring snow problems, should be fine. Amtrak trains between NYP and Albany are generally very close to on time. As for service, depending on just which train you pick, you may not have any. Only trains that go north or west of Albany have a cafe car. Trains that run NYP-ALB only do not provide cafe car service. However, if you want a better seat you may wish to spring for BC seating, as you'll get the 2 & 1 Club Dinette seating.

Regarding JFK, do you need any help with using the Air-Train to get into the City? Or are you already familiar with it? Much cheaper than a taxi.

Now, I'm familiar with your opinions of Amtrak, and I'd tend to agree with many of them, if I were paying the sort of fares you were. But, sweet Christmas, you're flying into JFK? If I ever fly through that airport again it will be too soon.

You can use the Metropolitan Lounge whenever you are departing OR arriving on a train as a First Class passenger (in a roomette or bedroom) - even if the other train is in coach or business class! ;)
A slight clarification. I believe the rule is if you have been or will be a first class/sleeper class passenger on the same day, then you are eligible for the lounge. For example, if you switch from sleeper to coach at Toledo on the westbound LSL or CL.
I used the Acela lounge at Boston despite the fact i was leaving on the Lake Shore stub train in Business class (this was before the sleepers were returned to Boston).
Did you only go from Boston to somewhere on the stub train, or did you transfer to a sleeper in Albany? :huh: If so, you qualified based on the exception for same day sleeper, as stated be PaulM.

You can use the Metropolitan Lounge whenever you are departing OR arriving on a train as a First Class passenger (in a roomette or bedroom) - even if the other train is in coach or business class! ;)
A slight clarification. I believe the rule is if you have been or will be a first class/sleeper class passenger on the same day, then you are eligible for the lounge. For example, if you switch from sleeper to coach at Toledo on the westbound LSL or CL.
I used the Acela lounge at Boston despite the fact i was leaving on the Lake Shore stub train in Business class (this was before the sleepers were returned to Boston).
Did you only go from Boston to somewhere on the stub train, or did you transfer to a sleeper in Albany? :huh: If so, you qualified based on the exception for same day sleeper, as stated be PaulM.
Sorry; I didn't make that bit clear - I transferred to a sleeper in Albany (well, I transferred to a bus in Albany and a sleeper in Buffalo; but that's another story).

Just confirming what PaulM believed the rule to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back