Rooomette Trainediqute

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of an odd question but here goes... I recently booked a ticket on the Sunset limited and have a "Superliner Roomette" reserved. I notice that they only charge you for a room once and not per person?

As I am traveling alone … and in a non sketchy way would I be able to "share" the roomette with someone I meet on the train. I realize how that sounds and I probably wont end up doing this for many reasons but was wondering if it would even be a possibility. My logic is this... I could save someone a lot of money by allowing them to have free meals the entire trip (and a bed/shower) and could make the price of my trip a bit cheaper. I know people will say but someone will be sleeping in my room - however I was about to buy the coach fair in which case many people would be sleeping in my "room". I know this might be against the rules but thought I would see what people thought about this. I assume amtrak gets around this by making the people traveling in roomettes all book together at the same time… Is this a crazy thought? Just wondering?

Thanks.

You can add a person to your reservation after you book. I am not sure you can do it once your trip is underway though.

Good luck on your trip.

You can add a person to your reservation after you book. I am not sure you can do it once your trip is underway though.
Good luck on your trip.
I think I read (somewhere on here maybe) that you can't do it onboard (but you can add people before hand).

joelitz,

I added a wounded female soldier to a roomette that I purchased onboard. It worked fine. She was going farther than I and they gave her the room all the way to her destination. In my case, I paid for the room, totally, and told her to get the tip in the morning when she left (and how much, it was her 1st experience in the sleeper). It also got her crutches off of the floor in coach and actually freed up some additional space because of all her belongings.

There are many people out there who can handle this situation. You just have to read people well and make your good intentions known and obviously stick to the same gender.

For some reason, none of it showed on my AGR.

Jody

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot speak to the legalities of it.. But for sure in the US it is not customary to share a room with strangers. I think you know that, just making sure.

I do not know of any rules allowing or prohibiting this. However, I would imagine that this would be handled different ways by different crews. I'm sure there are some conductors or sleeper attendants who would not allow it (and I imagine the rules are on their side), but then some would probably just say 'whatever' and not worry about.

Personally, I would not try to do this, but I generally lean on the super safe side of everything in life.

joelitz,I added a wounded female soldier to a roomette that I purchased onboard. It worked fine. She was going farther than I and they gave her the room all the way to her destination. In my case, I paid for the room, totally, and told her to get the tip in the morning when she left (and how much, it was her 1st experience in the sleeper). It also got her crutches off of the floor in coach and actually freed up some additional space because of all her belongings.

There are many people out there who can handle this situation. You just have to read people well and make your good intentions known and obviously stick to the same gender.

Jody
That was really nice of you!

I'll bet she really appreciated it too.

If it wasn't too long ago, you may want to call Amtrak guest Rewards & see if you can add it on, or fill out the missing points form on their website.

Kind of an odd question but here goes... I recently booked a ticket on the Sunset limited and have a "Superliner Roomette" reserved. I notice that they only charge you for a room once and not per person?
As I am traveling alone … and in a non sketchy way would I be able to "share" the roomette with someone I meet on the train. I realize how that sounds and I probably wont end up doing this for many reasons but was wondering if it would even be a possibility. My logic is this... I could save someone a lot of money by allowing them to have free meals the entire trip (and a bed/shower) and could make the price of my trip a bit cheaper. I know people will say but someone will be sleeping in my room - however I was about to buy the coach fair in which case many people would be sleeping in my "room". I know this might be against the rules but thought I would see what people thought about this. I assume amtrak gets around this by making the people traveling in roomettes all book together at the same time… Is this a crazy thought? Just wondering?

Thanks.
you can call after you meet this person and have their ticket changed to open space which means they are sharing a room

I would think that this isn't much different than for most hotels. One pays a fixed price for the room, regardless of how many people occupy the room (I guess up to the room's max occupancy). Every guest in the room is entitled to an included breakfast.

You could stand outside the hotel, and attempt to "sell" a share in your room, to any stranger wandering by, looking for a place to sleep. :ph34r:

Actually many hotels do charge extra for a 3rd/4th adult in the same room. Most don't charge for kids in the same room, although a select few do.

If it wasn't too long ago, you may want to call Amtrak guest Rewards & see if you can add it on, or fill out the missing points form on their website.
What would be on your AGR account anyway? :huh:

The thing that would be on YOUR AGR account would be YOUR rail fare and THE ACCOMMODATION CHARGE (and it is the same for 1 or 2 in the room). HER rail fare would be credited to HER AGR account ONLY. (There is no way that you could get it. If she did not have an AGR account, then NOBODY would get the credit!)

Thus there is NOTHING extra that you could have gotten!

Jodys story was a nice one and I glad to hear that it worked out well. However, when you decide to share a room with a complete stranger anything can happan.........theft, snoring, hostilites etc are possible. Also Roometttes are tiny and two people in one makes for a very tight and compact sleeping arrangement. Let's suppose if the person who wants to share a room with you is *****. At bedtime he will see you in your underpants and he will get excited. Not good!

Jodys story was a nice one and I glad to hear that it worked out well. However, when you decide to share a room with a complete stranger anything can happan.........theft, snoring, hostilites etc are possible. Also Roometttes are tiny and two people in one makes for a very tight and compact sleeping arrangement. Let's suppose if the person who wants to share a room with you is *****. At bedtime he will see you in your underpants and he will get excited. Not good!
Yes, let's suppose the person you offer to share with is, as you so sensitively put it "*****" (as opposed to "colored" or "Jesus-freaky" or any other similarly offensive term); as we all know, there's nothing a gay man would like so much as to sexually assault a presumably heterosexual room partner!! Why, every day we read about hundreds of innocent straight men being attacked by those ravenous homos.

Get a life, "dlagrua" - even if someone were attracted to their room-sharing partner, it's HIGHLY unlikely that such a coupling would be attempted. Fox News has been misleading you. Take a class, or better yet, park the pick-em-up truck somewhere other than your typical Wal-Mart parking space, and get to know what people are REALLY like. For example, some of us "queers" will be serving your meals on Amtrak...and assisting you with boarding...and taking your tickets...and making up your beds....shall I continue??

I mean I would look at it from the other travelers perspective. If I were in coach, and you offered me the other bunk in your sleeper I would be a little skeptical about joining you.

Granted sharing a roomette isn't to bad my friend and I split 2 rooms last year, and this year are splitting rooms on 3 different trains.

Also, I couldn't tell from your post if by recovering costs you mean charging your new room mate a fee. That defiantly wouldn't fly.

Did it really happen to you or you're just parroting what your priests told you in church? If you're reporting a personal experience, please elaborate (how did you handle the situation, etc...?). If not, please keep in mind that bearing false witness against thy neighbor will send you straight to hell, no matter if your priests told you or not (which he should, instead of spreading hatred and extremism)

Diagrua - I suggest you get your head out of the sand. I am a man who prefers men. Under certain circumstances, I would invite a stranger to share a roomette with me. Does that mean I would try something sexual? I don't think so. That would be generally inappropriate and unacceptable, unless it was clear there was some mutual interest. If by chance, I invited a lady to share, which is less likely, the same would apply.

Let's suppose if the person who wants to share a room with you is *****. At bedtime he will see you in your underpants and he will get excited. Not good!
I know it's hard to believe, but some of those "queers", "jews", "muslims", etc... may even serve you in the grocery store, restaurants, banks, malls, etc... and believe it or not, they may even :eek: DRIVE :eek: on the same roads as you do! :rolleyes:

To further expound on this, several years ago I was camped out in my two man tent in the forests of North Carolina. A backpacker, a young man, came out of the woods, having been out for several days on the trail, and we started talking. I shared my dinner with him and invited him to spend the night in my tent. Absolutely nothing inappropraite occurred. Maybe he could have been a crazy, so I was taking a little bit of a risk. I never heard from him again, but that was one of the most good humored and fun nights I ever had camping.

Let's suppose if the person who wants to share a room with you is *****. At bedtime he will see you in your underpants and he will get excited. Not good!
I know it's hard to believe, but some of those "queers", "jews", "muslims", etc... may even serve you in the grocery store, restaurants, banks, malls, etc... and believe it or not, they may even :eek: DRIVE :eek: on the same roads as you do! :rolleyes:
The road, the grocery store, the restaurant, the bank, etc., are not intimate locations like a roomette, however. IAC, gay or straight, male or female, I wouldn't share a roomette with a stranger. In coach, of course—or on a plane or bus—I wouldn't have much choice as to who sat next to me (or behind or in front of me, for that matter).

I'd be too uncomfortable to share a roommette with someone I didn't know. I'm becoming so antisocial I don't even like sharing one with someone I DO know! :lol: And even though I watch Fox News and shop at Wal-Mart (I'd have a pickup truck but my car works just fine) I have no problems with homosexuals. I knew many gay men in college, shared shower rooms with them, lived next door to them in the dorms, and never had a problem of any type That said, I'd never share a room with a stranger I didn't know. Just not my cup of tea.

There was a time when I had to set up ski trips for a large snow ski club. Way back then I discovered that if 2 men were in a lodge room, one would be on the floor and the other on the bed so you might as well put them in 2 rooms from the start. It's just how men are. Cooties, I guess. Women don't react so strongly.

I watch Fox, shop at Walmart, can drive DH's pickup (stick shift!), won't give my opinion on here about gays and would still offer the extra bed to another female if I was comfortable with her.

Jody

Thanks.
Oh my heavens, this has become a very interesting thread indeed! If it were me (and as cheap as I am) I still would not entertain having a stranger in my room. I just don't think it's a smart thing to do...of course I have lived in big cities for most of my adult life and maybe I am just a little on the cautious side. Now, a second train trip might be a different story since sharing would reduce costs! :)

And some of those frightening queers - like me - might even be on this very forum. HORRORS! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I really thought this forum would be mostly about trains. For the record, sometimes being in a crowd of straight people makes me just as uneasy as some of them are in a crowd of queers...if they've every actually been in such a crowd. :lol:

Thanks for the humor, the_traveler. I genuinely appreciated it.

Or your best friend or teamate or brother,sister,cousin or parent or grandparent or even your spouse! Times are changing folks, people who have interest in other folks sexual preference and lives need to get a life of their own! What possible difference does it make who's gay etc. The only people who scare me are racists,war mongers,pedophiles,homophobes and tele-evangilists! Well, the gun toting T-Party fanatics also! <_<

I dont care to share a roomette with anyone, even my significant other but a bedroom is another story, also a friend and even if they were the same sex, long as I knew them and we got along no problem! :) Ive stayed in hostels all over the world with same sex rooms, co-ed rooms and private rooms,but I'm not in competition with Brad Pitt or George Clooney so nothing to worry about except would someone steal my stuff! :lol: Also spent many nights in barracks and aboard ship when in the Navy and I'm pretty sure there were gays there but so what?

Also riding in coach and on overnight flights and the dog is a sure way to sleep with someone not of your choice! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back