New TSA Rules

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I got this right, it's ok to blow a plane up 1 hour and 1 minute from its destination, but it's a bad thing to blow it up less than one hour from its destination?
Since landing is the most dangerous... it makes sense

After all if you wanted to blow up a plane going from London to New York it's best not to do it in the middle of the ocean hours away from land... apparently...
Why's that then? How many planes are landing one hour from their destination?

So if I got this right, it's ok to blow a plane up 1 hour and 1 minute from its destination, but it's a bad thing to blow it up less than one hour from its destination?

After all if you wanted to blow up a plane going from London to New York it's best not to do it in the middle of the ocean hours away from land... apparently...
Sarcasm Neil.

When all is said and done, ever increasing regulations on air travel are what keep me away from that mode of transportation. I would much prefer 3 nights on a train to LA as opposed to the stuff you have to put up with on the airlines. Maybe it is necessary for security purposes, but I just don't want to have to put up with it.

As someone said earlier, this is closing the barn door after the horses have left. So, I guess the next terrorist will go through the motions of blowing up a plane 75 minutes before landing, or maybe five minutes after takeoff. It seems the passengers did a better job of securing the flight than any of the security agencies on the ground.

As a flyer with over 500k miles I have not flown since 2005.
I flew in July 2009 for the 1st time in over 5 years - and it was 15 years to soon - and I had (and still had) over 600K miles!

"Are you coming here to indulge in criminal or immoral behavior?"
It's a good thing that I'm already here! I can do them without problem! :lol:
Your last post may attribute criminal or immoral behavior to me. Sorry, none of the above apply. :eek:

The official reactions to incidents like this can be a bit odd at times. Whether you know where you are or not, beginning descent is a hint that you are near the destination. Fortunately, some element of sanity usually works its way back sooner or later (witness the liquids ban). I hope it's sooner and not later.
Evidently, reaction on all sides seems to be a bit shrill and extreme immediately after such incidents. Witness some of the postings on this board for example. Again fortunately, some element of sanity usually works its way back on all sides sooner or later.

Pretty soon the only option on a flight will be the color of the handcuff keeping you attached to your seat in flight. Aircraft interiors will resemble something out of the movie "Con Air." Airlines will save money by not providing any kind of beverage service due to "federal regulation."
"Put. The bunny. Down."

“during the final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps"
That is off the air canada web site. It probably only will apply to international flights flying into the US.
So you wouldn't be able to have a book or magazine in your lap? pffffftt

“during the final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps"
That is off the air canada web site. It probably only will apply to international flights flying into the US.
We all know how dangerous people are who read! And if a kid has a teddy-bear or doll with them it'll be 10 to life for the brat! :rolleyes:

Doing profiles, body checks and hand checking luggage with no carry ons and full x-ray and dog checks of baggage would be ideal, and I'm revising

my post to say that everyone coming from overseas, citizen or not, should be checked closely, Tim McVey was as crazy as these clowns, the motivation for crazy acts are all the same whether religions, political or pure insanity which in these cases seems to be one and the same! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
We all know how dangerous people are who read! And if a kid has a teddy-bear or doll with them it'll be 10 to life for the brat! Honestly, emotion has nothing to do with idiotic over reaction by clowns in WAS, I spent 30 years there, shouldn't be surprised but the poster that talked about appearances of security hit the nail on the head! I know we have to be vigilant, and profiling is not ideal but those coming from overseas should be checked closer, whether or not they are citizens! I dont feel any safer cause of idiotic rules dreamed up by teams of "security" experts! One cannot live their life being afraid and terrified which is a security state of mind and unfortunately these past few years our politicians have been using this crap too! Enough, get on with life, we are the safest place on earth and Benjamin Franklin was right, you can look it up!

As for me I'll ride Amtrak and enjoy the journey, won't ever fly again and I feel for those of you that have too! :ph34r:
"those coming from overseas"???

How about Timothy McVeigh?

Cheez, we get into every dumb war you drag us into and we're still treated like crud every time we pay the US a visit.

"Welcome to the United States of America" it says at the airport. Indeed!

And LAX has the reputation of being the most hostile airport of them all. Some staff training might not go amiss.

I don't disagree with you, please see my revised post!
Thank-you, the finger printing, photographs and general hostility makes the US a very daunting place to enter. Being hauled into a police station at home must seem less confronting.

Sarcasm Neil.
Did Santa bring you some then? Use it carefully my boy........

Anyway, who is resigning over this? Bloke seems to be on all the badandnastypeople.com watchlists but he gets a free visa and a trip on a plane to Detroit..... Ho hum.

Defending your nations borders..... :lol:

I agree with Carlos Mencia. We need to get more people who fly Southwest Airlines onto other airlines and just have them serve as Air Marshals. If you were to try to hi-jack a Southwest plane you would not be getting off that aircraft alive.

This is REALLY going to take a toll on international flights less than an hour in duration - the airplanes will not have any passengers because since they were already an hour or less from their destination, the passengers were not allowed to get out of their chairs at the gate waiting area in order to board. And several who were using their laptops in the waiting room, trying to get some work done while they were waiting, found themselves having to make bail, or had their laptops confiscated and/or destroyed, while the kids with their gameboys are now in the juvenile detention center.

The terrorists are indeed being successful, using the TSA and HS folks as their surrogates. And I feel quite sure that there are many thousands of legitimate, law-abiding travelers caught up in these flawed security systems through no fault of their own who DO feel terrorized by the security people they've had the misfortune to run into.

There was a story this morning on the news about two sisters with surnames that had too many characters in them for the Turkish airline they were booked on, and they were denied boarding. The booking agency had specifically cleared those two with the airline, but the airline's agents at the airport didn't get the word, apparently. So they missed the wedding in India that they had booked the flights for.

It's almost as if the security rules and agents are the inmates who are now running the asylum, and instead of a rational overall plan are simply applying thousands of band-aids as fast as they can peel and stick them, without regard to effectiveness and without ANY consideration of cost/benefit analysis.

Pray that Amtrak doesn't get caught up in all this global insanity.

Perhaps someone will now design a car-boat so that you won't have to fly internationally.

And several who were using their laptops in the waiting room, trying to get some work done while they were waiting, found themselves having to make bail, or had their laptops confiscated and/or destroyed, while the kids with their gameboys are now in the juvenile detention center.
is that true they arrested pre-teen kids over gameboys. i can see the front page of the newspaper. DHS stopped another attack by arresting some 2-5 year old pre-teen kids who were going to use there gameboy to blow up a plane.

Perhaps someone will now design a car-boat so that you won't have to fly internationally.
Nah. What they need to do is build a rail tunnel under the Bearing Strait and then connect Alaska's rail network with the US via Canada. Then you'd truly be able to travel around the world without flying. Though I suppose bringing back affordable ocean-liner service would work, too.

This is REALLY going to take a toll on international flights less than an hour in duration
What international flights of less than an hour arrive in the United States? Passengers flying from Europe to Canada to the US get processed in Canada, before their little connecting flight to the US (which is why Air Canada is using these new regulations). And flights within Europe aren't governed by the TSA rules, and while they may be experiencing crazy security right now I imagine the silly rules won't last very long there.

What really stuns me is this (from the NY Times today):

But the government seemed to discount those concerns. The homeland security secretary, Janet Napolitano, said in a statement Saturday that new measures were “designed to be unpredictable, so passengers should not expect to see the same thing everywhere.” She said passengers should proceed with their holiday plans and “as always, be observant and aware of their surroundings and report any suspicious behavior or activity to law enforcement officials.”
So ... this reads to me like "there is no policy, we are just sort of flailing here and making it up as we go along". How can you just "proceed with your holiday plans" when that might mean having to choose which of your laptop or your bag of Christmas presents for the family you leave at the airport with the security agents? Or when your holiday plans were made when you didn't need to add those extra hour? two hours? who knows! to your schedule?

The Transportation Security Administration, which governs security at airports and on airplanes in the United States, had no immediate comment on the steps.
This is helpful to passengers HOW?

I'm taking two trains on Monday: the Regional from Lynchburg in the morning, for which I expect the standard zero security as 100 passengers board a train at LYH and another 100 passengers board at CVS ... and an Acela from WAS-NYP in the afternoon, for which I now expect there to be more police-with-dogs than usual but probably nothing else. I'm curious to see how they're handling things at the big-city Amtrak stations, but I'm not worried in the slightest.

This is REALLY going to take a toll on international flights less than an hour in duration
What international flights of less than an hour arrive in the United States?
How about flights from Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, flights from the Bahamas and some Mexican cities to the US? :huh: Those are all international flights that could be under 1 hour! :rolleyes:

What international flights of less than an hour arrive in the United States?
How about flights from Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, flights from the Bahamas and some Mexican cities to the US? :huh: Those are all international flights that could be under 1 hour! :rolleyes:
Actually, since you can't get up while the plane is climbing, it could be closer to 1 1/2 hour flights.

You know what's going to happen? If you want to pay more, they'll let you get up. It's called "roaming charges". :lol:

I think there may be a short term positive impact on Amtrak.

I flew to Florida in October for a cruise. All the time I went through security and the time wasted

waiting for the flight, I kept thinking I wish I was on Amtrak!!

While increased security would be welcome on Amtrak, the likelyhood of a major catrastophe

on Amtrak is far less than on a 300+ passenger airplane at 35,000 feet.

Not sure the new rules will help out.

The pilots of Northwest Airlines Flight 253 from Amsterdam to

Detroit -- the same flight involved in Friday's terrorism

attempt -- requested emergency assistance Sunday upon landing

in Detroit, Scott Wintner, an airport spokesman said.

That was a "disruptive passenger" according to CNN.

That was a "disruptive passenger" according to CNN.
According to MSNBC, he was a legitimate Nigerian businessman who was having stomach problems that prevented his leaving the restroom.

Its unfortunate to think of how many people are going to start their trip at the destination in a literal stink because they are confined to their seat after eating something that didn't agree with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back