New TSA Rules

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
The TSA just announced airline pax will no longer be allowed to leave their chairs or even have anything on their lap during the final 1 hour of flight! I do believe Amtrak (and bus services for that matter) suddenly just picked up a load of potential new customers. I haven't flown in 2 1/2 years and do not miss it at all.

The TSA just announced airline pax will no longer be allowed to leave their chairs or even have anything on their lap during the final 1 hour of flight! I do believe Amtrak (and bus services for that matter) suddenly just picked up a load of potential new customers. I haven't flown in 2 1/2 years and do not miss it at all.
As a flyer with over 500k miles I have not flown since 2005.

There they go again, overreacting and confusing apples with oranges! This is a great opportunity, especially in the NE and around the Big Cities to pick up business type riders and also to attract more leisure riders! :eek: And what about shuttle flights, those shorter than an hour, this is stupidity @ it's zenith! :rolleyes:

Guess next you will be locked in your seat in a cocoon with relief tubes like astronauts, makes it sort of tough if you have any problems with relief for sure! I will not fly again but I'm retired and dont have to be anywhere @ any particular time, perfect for Amtrak! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking on the TSA site, I don't see such an announcement, but do see mentions of it on other news sites as being imposed on inbound international flights, and being mentioned as a likely candidate for implementation for at least some domestic flights.

The whole thought does make air travel seem more and more bleak, and its impact is likely to swing some riders to Amtrak - of course how many remains to be seen. I don't think Amtrak is significantly under capacity to have a whole lot of seats to spare for new riders, though.

A rule which will be ignored when it's found to be unworkable. OTOH, on long flights from overseas, the last hour is often spent getting ready for customs. Perhaps the paperwork will have to be taken care of earlier.

“during the final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps"

That is off the air canada web site. It probably only will apply to international flights flying into the US.

“during the final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps"
They're going to look mighty stupid with their skirts and pants around their ankles... :blink:

Pretty soon the only option on a flight will be the color of the handcuff keeping you attached to your seat in flight. Aircraft interiors will resemble something out of the movie "Con Air." Airlines will save money by not providing any kind of beverage service due to "federal regulation."

I guess there will be another fee forthcoming. All passengers will be assessed $7.50 for the "Depends Fee" issued to passengers, to be used if needed , during the last portion of the flight! BTW: Credit or Debit/No Cash!!!

RF :(

I guess there will be another fee forthcoming. All passengers will be assessed $7.50 for the "Depends Fee" issued to passengers, to be used if needed , during the last portion of the flight! BTW: Credit or Debit/No Cash!!!RF :(
Gives new meaning to the old phrase they've always been telling us before the flight: "In the event of an emergency, your seat cushion can be used..."

Would you please give us a link to the official TSA announcement? Thanks.

The new rules apply to inbound international flights to the USA, including flights from Canada. The rules do not apply to domestic US flights. How long the rules will remain in effect is anybody's guess. I understand that the IFE system on some trans-Atlantic flights was turned off to disable the flight position display.

So if I got this right, it's ok to blow a plane up 1 hour and 1 minute from its destination, but it's a bad thing to blow it up less than one hour from its destination?

So if I got this right, it's ok to blow a plane up 1 hour and 1 minute from its destination, but it's a bad thing to blow it up less than one hour from its destination?
The official reactions to incidents like this can be a bit odd at times. Whether you know where you are or not, beginning descent is a hint that you are near the destination. Fortunately, some element of sanity usually works its way back sooner or later (witness the liquids ban). I hope it's sooner and not later.

the TSA are the real terrorest alongs with DHS ****s.
Your statement is both wrong and offensive, and I invite you to retract it.
I agree with amtrakwolverine.
"****" is probably a bit over the top, but I agree with the sentiment as well. Even though this guy didn't succeed in bringing this plane down, it certainly was a victory in the sense that it's got us reacting and changing our behavior because of their actions.

I know it's not Englands fault, it's happening here too, but what's up with these wealthy kids getting caught up in this fanatic insanity to harm the western world? I've read that all the world's intel agencies knew about this guy, what's he doing getting a visa from us to pull this stunt? In the meantime Joe Smith and Susie American are being hassled daily @ the airport, now even more draconian measures coming soon to your favorite airport! Hope Amtraks brass miss the meetings they have @ Homeland Security ( a **** term if ever there was one!)and dont try this bs @ the stations! :angry:

The old childrens story about closing the barn door after the horse gets out sure applies with these keystone cops!!

'Homeland Security' sounds like something Orwell would come up with.......

Makes you laugh at all the nonsense we have to put up with to come and spend our money in your country, filling out all manner of nonsense with snappy Acronyms, yet this clown was on the list of ****wits to watch and you lot let him have a visa! Hopeless.........

Much like all the rather stupid questions we have to answer on the back of the visa waiver form....

"Were you in the **** Party between 1939 and 1945?"

"Are you coming here to be a terrorist?"

" Are you coming here to indulge in criminal or immoral behavior?"

Yes, all of the above.............. :ph34r:

'Homeland Security' sounds like something Orwell would come up with.......Makes you laugh at all the nonsense we have to put up with to come and spend our money in your country, filling out all manner of nonsense with snappy Acronyms, yet this clown was on the list of ****wits to watch and you lot let him have a visa! Hopeless.........

Much like all the rather stupid questions we have to answer on the back of the visa waiver form....

"Where you in the **** Party between 1939 and 1945?"

"Are you coming here to be a terrorist?"

" Are you coming here to indulge in criminal or immoral behavior?"

Yes, all of the above.............. :ph34r:
I've always wondered if anyone has ever answered ýes' to the terrorist question on the green immigration card :lol: .

On the other hand, 1 hour before landing is when they pack up breakfast and the passengers make a stampede for the toilets on inbound Qantas flights to the US. Might have some very anxious people in the immigration lines at LAX...

I've always wondered if anyone has ever answered ýes' to the terrorist question on the green immigration card :lol: .
Trust me, every time I fill in one of those stupid cards I am sooooooooo tempted.......... :cool:

As a flyer with over 500k miles I have not flown since 2005.
I flew in July 2009 for the 1st time in over 5 years - and it was 15 years to soon - and I had (and still had) over 600K miles!

"Are you coming here to indulge in criminal or immoral behavior?"
It's a good thing that I'm already here! I can do them without problem! :lol:

the TSA are the real terrorest alongs with DHS ****s.
Your statement is both wrong and offensive, and I invite you to retract it.
I find his statement to be perhaps a bit hyperbolic but not all that far off the mark. The ideal reaction to a group of terrorists is to spend more time, money, and effort on behind the scenes investigation efforts. The ideal public reaction is to look up at the plane blowing up, shake your head sadly, mutter "kids these days", and keep walking. The purpose of terrorism is to terrorize. If you shrug it off, you are failing to achieve its purpose. And by ignoring it, it will go away.

By annoying the living hell out of us, the government is increasing public resentment to it. It creates hostility, disorder, and discordance. This is precisely the concept behind terrorism. The DHS and its puppets and puppetmeisters are not really terrorists- but they are certainly playing right into the terrorists hands.

Since landing is the most dangerous... it makes sense

After all if you wanted to blow up a plane going from London to New York it's best not to do it in the middle of the ocean hours away from land... apparently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back