New TSA Rules

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While increased security would be welcome on Amtrak, the likelyhood of a major catrastopheon Amtrak is far less than on a 300+ passenger airplane at 35,000 feet.
how would increased security be welcomed on amtrak. we don't need amtrak to be security theater like on planes. thats why we like amtrak. more freedom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the latest from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (our ABC) website:

"Transport Minister Anthony Albanese says there will be increased security precautions for Australians travelling on flights to the United States.

The announcement came after US President Barack Obama ordered reviews of airport security and the country's terrorism watch lists after the attempted bombing of a passenger jet over Detroit on Christmas Day.

Australian security staff will conduct physical searches of all US-bound passengers and their bags prior to boarding.

Passengers will not be allowed to leave their seats during the last hour of the flight, cannot have any blankets, pillows or personal belongings in their laps, and will be banned from retrieving baggage from overhead lockers.

Mr Albanese says the increased security is likely to inconvenience passengers.

"I'm sure that passengers would understand the changes that the US authorities have put in place, and certainly the advice I have from the Australian airlines that travel to the United States, is that at this stage there are no undue delays as a result of these changes," he said.

But he says there will not be an increased alert level at Australian airports.

"There is no plan at this stage to increase the nature of the alert at Australian airports. But we'll continue to be vigilant and to take advice on those issues," he said.

Airports and airlines in the United States and around the world have tightened security after the foiled attack on a Northwest Airlines flight to Detroit from the Netherlands.

Security officials were investigating how Nigerian suspect Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was able to get explosive materials onto the plane, despite higher security worldwide since the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Mr Albanese says Australian authorities are still discussing the specific details of the security upgrades with their US counterparts.

But Opposition transport spokesman Warren Truss says the Government should consider reviewing the system of random checks for explosives.

"Maybe at this time we may have to do a little more if in fact the advice is that this particular incident could lead to copycat incidents around the world, or indeed is part of a wider offensive by Al Qaeda, or some other terrorist groups who have ill-intent towards airline passengers," he said."

If I wasn't already booked to JFK in March and hadn't purchased my theatre tickets in advance I'd seriously consider calling the whole thing off!

So middle aged retirees are going to be frisked prior to boarding.

Surely the inmates are runnig the asylum.

even a 1 year old baby is a terrorist. no you cannot bring that baby bottle on board its over the oz limit. just like when a 2 year old can't get on the plane with his parents cause for some reason his name is on the no fly list. like they can't tell that a freaking child is not a terrorist. after all how many suicide bombers have been children uh none.

I want to see the attendants explain to my 3 year old grandson why he can't get up to use the restroom the last hour of his flight home in 2 weeks.

Here's the latest from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (our ABC) website:
Passengers will not be allowed to leave their seats during the last hour of the flight, cannot have any blankets, pillows or personal belongings in their laps, and will be banned from retrieving baggage from overhead lockers.
And if was a cold flight, and you have your coat over you, or if you decide it gets cold 1:10 from the end of the flight, I guess they have a stopwatch and say, "OK, all passengers freeze for the remainder of the flight, and don't you dare read that book or magazine!" :rolleyes:

I want to see the attendants explain to my 3 year old grandson why he can't get up to use the restroom the last hour of his flight home in 2 weeks.
Because the TSA is keeping you safe in your bed at night. Be thankful such a brave and resourceful organization is dedicated to saving you from the barbarians at the gates.......

America the free, free to crap your pants in the last hour of your flight. :lol:

This is REALLY going to take a toll on international flights less than an hour in duration
:lol: Well put.
There's a saying we use at my hotel, and that is "You can't fix stupid."

Because the TSA is keeping you safe in your bed at night. Be thankful such a brave and resourceful organization is dedicated to saving you from the barbarians at the gates.......

America the free, free to crap your pants in the last hour of your flight. :lol:
I choose not to dump on other members' country of origin seeing as we're in the holiday season, be of good will and all that.

BTW, how's things over in the Surveillance Society? :blink:

I choose not to dump on other members' country of origin seeing as we're in the holiday season, be of good will and all that.

Is the TSA your country of origin then? I thought it was just some half baked outfit pretending it was stopping bad people getting on planes.......

Is the TSA your country of origin then? I thought it was just some half baked outfit pretending it was stopping bad people getting on planes.......
The TSA may well be inept and good at nothing but putting it's collective head up it's butt, just dishing out a little "freedom" criticism of my own.

::Beep:: "Ok get on the plane."

::Looks in bag:: "Oh no, thats a bomb. Ok get on the plane."

Hey Neil, if you promise to cease and desist from producing these lunatic pyromaniacs in Londonistan we will promise to call off the TSA loons :lol: All in jest brother. Please don't be offended.

The TSA may well be inept and good at nothing but putting it's collective head up it's butt,
While the TSA is trying to put its head up its butt, apparently the Australians are trying to put their hands on our feet (?!):

Joel Barnes and Bryan Duncan, both 27, were sitting in a Starbucks at Los Angeles International Airport, after a 13-hour flight from Brisbane, Australia. They were awaiting the arrival of a friend who had sent them a text message to alert them that his flight from Vancouver had been delayed for two hours because of heightened security measures at the airport there.
The men said their armpits and shoes had been searched before they boarded their flight, and Mr. Barnes said, “They rubbed their hands on the soles of our feet.”
Is this enhanced security? A new free pre-flight massage service? Or an opportunistic guard indulging in foot fetishism?

The TSA may well be inept and good at nothing but putting it's collective head up it's butt,
While the TSA is trying to put its head up its butt, apparently the Australians are trying to put their hands on our feet (?!):

Joel Barnes and Bryan Duncan, both 27, were sitting in a Starbucks at Los Angeles International Airport, after a 13-hour flight from Brisbane, Australia. They were awaiting the arrival of a friend who had sent them a text message to alert them that his flight from Vancouver had been delayed for two hours because of heightened security measures at the airport there.
The men said their armpits and shoes had been searched before they boarded their flight, and Mr. Barnes said, “They rubbed their hands on the soles of our feet.”
Is this enhanced security? A new free pre-flight massage service? Or an opportunistic guard indulging in foot fetishism?
that's creepy. sir or ma'am remove your shoes and socks we need to touch the bottom of your bare feet to make sure you don't have anything taped to them. :rolleyes:

Hey Neil, if you promise to cease and desist from producing these lunatic pyromaniacs in Londonistan we will promise to call off the TSA loons :lol: All in jest brother. Please don't be offended.

Offend me? You will have to do much better than that!

Anyway, we will try to stop lunatic pyromaniacs, you promise that your military only goes on vacations it has been invited on...... :lol:

the TSA are the real terrorest alongs with DHS.
Your statement is both wrong and offensive, and I invite you to retract it.
I agree with amtrakwolverine.
Honestly, I agree and disagree. The TSA are meant to keep us safe, but in doing so have instilled terror in everyone that chooses to fly. The majority of TSA regulations are overbearing, while some are just plain silly. Even with all of this security nothing has really been done to prevent a plane from being hijacked and run into a building. The primary issue of control being entirely with the person in the plane's cockpit has essentially been ignored. The Dept of Homeland Security in conjunction with the FAA and all airlines operation in the US should devise "PPC" Postive Plane Control. Just like trains have PTC to override the cab controls and bring a train to a stop should the train be operated out of its authority, All planes should have "PPC" to allow FAA flight controllers to override cockpit control to bring a hijacked plane to a safe landing at the closest airport. If such a system was in place and operating on 9/11 the planes could have been safely landed and the hijackers could have been arrested.

Honestly, I agree and disagree. The TSA are meant to keep us safe, but in doing so have instilled terror in everyone that chooses to fly. The majority of TSA regulations are overbearing, while some are just plain silly. Even with all of this security nothing has really been done to prevent a plane from being hijacked and run into a building. The primary issue of control being entirely with the person in the plane's cockpit has essentially been ignored. The Dept of Homeland Security in conjunction with the FAA and all airlines operation in the US should devise "PPC" Postive Plane Control. Just like trains have PTC to override the cab controls and bring a train to a stop should the train be operated out of its authority, All planes should have "PPC" to allow FAA flight controllers to override cockpit control to bring a hijacked plane to a safe landing at the closest airport. If such a system was in place and operating on 9/11 the planes could have been safely landed and the hijackers could have been arrested.
If they are going to do that then they might as well just get rid of the pilots altogether. There is a reason why pilots are in the air and not on the ground. PTC and "PPC" are apples and oranges. Stopping a train is one thing since all a train can ever do is stop or go, but an airplane is much more complicated of an animal (have you seen how many switches are in the cockpit).

Last edited:
Basically pilots are on board to take the plane off, be available if anything occurs to take over from the computer and

LAND the Plane! May as well have model planes or drones if there is going to be ground control of airliners!

The pilots are in tamper proof cabins, that is not the problem, the problems occur in the airport and in the pax cabin if

crazies manage to avoid detection while boarding with dangerous items!

If they are going to do that then they might as well just get rid of the pilots altogether. There is a reason why pilots are in the air and not on the ground. PTC and "PPC" are apples and oranges. Stopping a train is one thing since all a train can ever do is stop or go, but an airplane is much more complicated of an animal (have you seen how many switches are in the cockpit).

The US Army can already fly planes remotely. Having a pilot shouldn't be necessary but people would be apprehensive of a computer controlling the plane.

As a side note the President of SNCF has said that the TGVs and the new AGV have the capability of being operated solely by a computer. Since a computer can't think and react to unexpected circumstances there still needs to be an engineer in control with a computer to monitor the train and take action when the engineer fails to operate the train properly.

Thought: Since a radio signal, albeit encrypted, must be able to take control of the plane, does it not allow for terrorists capable of devising an appropriate overriding signal (or with deep enough pockets to bribe the person who has it) be able to take advantage of this to simplify all their problems and circumvent all of this security nonsense?

Thought: Since a radio signal, albeit encrypted, must be able to take control of the plane, does it not allow for terrorists capable of devising an appropriate overriding signal (or with deep enough pockets to bribe the person who has it) be able to take advantage of this to simplify all their problems and circumvent all of this security nonsense?
Considering that I just saw a news report that AlQuida had brought a $12 electronic part that allowed them to tap into the video feeds for our survailence drones that are tracking them, I'd say that there would be a very strong possibility of what you suggest happening GML.

Considering that I just saw a news report that AlQuida had brought a $12 electronic part that allowed them to tap into the video feeds for our survailence drones that are tracking them, I'd say that there would be a very strong possibility of what you suggest happening GML.
Those drones aren't using an encrypted signal. This is blown way out of proportion.

"The naive reaction is to ridicule the military. Encryption is so easy that HDTVs do it -- just a software routine and you're done -- and the Pentagon has known about this flaw since Bosnia in the 1990s. But encrypting the data is the easiest part; key management is the hard part. Each UAV needs to share a key with the ground station. These keys have to be produced, guarded, transported, used and then destroyed. And the equipment, both the Predators and the ground terminals, needs to be classified and controlled, and all the users need security clearance..."

See this site for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back