Overnight at SAS on TE

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texan Eagle

Conductor
What are the options available for a coach passenger on the TE to spend the long overnight layover at SAS? The sleeper passengers can sleep off but what about those with coach tickets? Is the SAS station building comfortable to spend the night in? Are there any affordable hotels close to the station where one can go for overnight stay? Are there any restaurants nearby that are open all night (Denny's etc)? Also, if I am boarding 22/422 from SAS and am at the station by the time it pulls in (9.55pm), will the attendants allow me to board the train and spend the entire night in coach seat/sightseeing lounge?

Sorry for asking too many questions at once
help.gif

If you are traveling *through* SAS, you can stay on the train. Not clear where you're actually coming from/going to.

If you are traveling *through* SAS, you can stay on the train. Not clear where you're actually coming from/going to.
I am planning to take the southbound TE from DAL to SAS and the northbound TE next morning back from SAS to DAL, just for a joyride, so was wondering what options I have to spend the night at SAS between 21's arrival and 22's departure.

Although I have never to it, I understand there is a 24-hour Denny's within walking distance of the station. (Other's will have more info.) But if you're traveling THRU SAS, if you book #422 or #421 - you can stay onboard and sleep thru the stopover if you wish. (The cars are switched while you sleep!
smile.gif
)

The SAS station is nothing to write home about. I spent about 5 hours connecting from #1 to #22 - and that was about 7 hours to long!
ohmy.gif

Most of what you asked has been answered but I'll second and third and fourth! that you dont want to spend the night in the SAS Amshak, er Station! :excl: :excl: :excl:

The Dennys is a 24/7 operation, its a couple of blocks to the West on Commerce Street heading towards the Riverwalk (you go under the IH 37 Overpass), right in front of a La Quinta High Rise! Its crowded by late night types,but its quick and fairly cheap! The Riverwalk is another couple of blocks away, sort of a Bourbon Street on the River, overpriced,overhyped, over crowded!Not much else happening at night in downtown when the Eagle and Sunset arrives!

There are three Motels in the immediate area of the station, a Holiday Inn express, the Staybridge Suites (where the Amtrak crews stay) and across Commerce street in a very nice 200 year building, a nice Best Western Highrise hotel! (Ive stayed there, google up the rates, I got $79 for 2 with breakfast!/5 minutes to station!)

As to the Trains, as was said, #422 is the Coach you want, not #22! Its cut out from the Sunset Ltd. #2, three days a week,(along with the #422 Sleeper) when it arrives into SAS on the way to NOL, attached to the back of the Eagle#422/#22 which leaves @ 7AM for AUS/FTW DAL/STL/CHI!!You will be able to sleep on the Train if booked on #422 IF you come in from the West on #2/#422!You WON"T if youre boarding in SAS!!! :(

Sometimes there is a big difference in price between #422/#421 and #22/#21, other times its the same?? No real rhyme or reason, it's Amtrak! :rolleyes: Googleit up on Amsnag or Amtrak.com Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have done this trip before except we stayed a couple of nights at the Staybridge Suites, really nice place with kitchenettes and refr., you can literally walk less than 500 steps and be in their lobby. I bid a low 69. bucks on priceline and was very happy to win the Staybridge Suites at Sunset Station. The only problem is this is where the train crew stays as well, they all beat us over there, and we had to wait for each and everyone of them to get checked in :lol: . The SAS station is small and crowded, there is a Denny's within walking distance, and I have heard the streets are safe as long as you don't croos the tracks, the Alamo and downtown Riverwalk are easy to get to on foot. Just follow normal safety procedures and you should be ok.

We have done this trip before except we stayed a couple of nights at the Staybridge Suites, really nice place with kitchenettes and refr., you can literally walk less than 500 steps and be in their lobby. I bid a low 69. bucks on priceline and was very happy to win the Staybridge Suites at Sunset Station. The only problem is this is where the train crew stays as well, they all beat us over there, and we had to wait for each and everyone of them to get checked in :lol: . The SAS station is small and crowded, there is a Denny's within walking distance, and I have heard the streets are safe as long as you don't croos the tracks, the Alamo and downtown Riverwalk are easy to get to on foot. Just follow normal safety procedures and you should be ok.
If you're doing a turn trip, you cannot stay on board overnight. You must detrain and find somewhere else to stay.

Just did this trip last October myself. I also stayed at the Staybridge suites just overnight. I payed a little bit more, but I didn't do the PriceLine thing. They have non-refundable rates if you know you won't cancel. Don't know about food - I was in a sleeper so I didn't need food.

Because I was taking my time to get to the hotel, I also arrived at the hotel just after some of the crew as well. I didn't mind however, I figured they'd given me a great vacation thusfar and they needed to be up and out long before I did, so I let them all go ahead of me (including the ones that arrived after me).

Thanks for all the replies. From what I read, this is what I understood, correct me if I am wrong-

The events that happen at SAS in the night when TE and eastbound SSL operate (eg: Saturday night) are as follows-

1) The southbound 21 arrives at SAS, drops off all passengers and the train goes somewhere to sleep.

2) The eastbound 2 arrives at SAS, leaves the 422 cars, and departs for New Orleans. The passengers in 422 sleep the night in their cars at SAS station.

3) The northbound 22 gets ready for departure sometime in the morning, connects the 422 cars at its back, takes on passengers and departs for Chicago.

Is this sequence correct?

Now, if I book SAS to DAL coach class on 422, will the attendant let me in to sleep in coach car of 422 once it has arrived in SAS, say something around 11pm? Or will he ask me to wait in the station until its departure time and only then let me in?

Thanks for all the replies. From what I read, this is what I understood, correct me if I am wrong-

The events that happen at SAS in the night when TE and eastbound SSL operate (eg: Saturday night) are as follows-

1) The southbound 21 arrives at SAS, drops off all passengers and the train goes somewhere to sleep.

2) The eastbound 2 arrives at SAS, leaves the 422 cars, and departs for New Orleans. The passengers in 422 sleep the night in their cars at SAS station.

3) The northbound 22 gets ready for departure sometime in the morning, connects the 422 cars at its back, takes on passengers and departs for Chicago.

Is this sequence correct?

Now, if I book SAS to DAL coach class on 422, will the attendant let me in to sleep in coach car of 422 once it has arrived in SAS, say something around 11pm? Or will he ask me to wait in the station until its departure time and only then let me in?
A couple of points: you will NOT be able to board #422 and spend the night in SAS, unless you came in on #422 from the West! Suggestion: Buy a ticket on #421 to DRT (Del Rio), sleep on the Train in SAS until 5:00AM., (#1 Leaves @ 5:40AM), have the Coach attendant wake you up, catch the Eagle #22 or #422, whichever is cheaper,, it boards @ 6:45PM heading North! Otherwise snag a cheap room as has been mentioned, Google is your friend!

"Train" #422 actually consist of 1 coach and 1 sleeper west of SAS. These are disconnected from #2 after arrival and put on a siding - hooked up to ground power to provide lights, power. etc... Then they are hooked up to #22 sometime before departure. (I don't know when because I slept thru the night, and awoke as we were just pulling away from the station!)

As to if you can get off or on during the night, it depends. I've heard both yes and no, depending on the crew. And if you're in the #422 sleeper, you will have 1 SCA from LAX-SAS and another SCA from SAS-CHI. So if you want to tip your SCA from LAX, do so before SAS. I don't know about the CA in the coach car.

"Train" #422 actually consist of 1 coach and 1 sleeper west of SAS. These are disconnected from #2 after arrival and put on a siding - hooked up to ground power to provide lights, power. etc... Then they are hooked up to #22 sometime before departure. (I don't know when because I slept thru the night, and awoke as we were just pulling away from the station!)

As to if you can get off or on during the night, it depends. I've heard both yes and no, depending on the crew. And if you're in the #422 sleeper, you will have 1 SCA from LAX-SAS and another SCA from SAS-CHI. So if you want to tip your SCA from LAX, do so before SAS. I don't know about the CA in the coach car.
"put on a siding - hooked up to ground power" - that's the key information I was looking for, thanks! I was under the impression the two cars of 422 are detached from Sunset Limited and kept on a platform line at the SAS station itself, so was wondering why would it be such a big deal about whether someone is allowed on and off in the night because if the cars are sitting at the platform I'd imagine several people going out and in to stretch out, smoke etc, but since it sits on a siding, its a different story altogether.

So I guess the only options I have are to either spend the night at the SAS station, or book a hotel room. Booking a ticket from DAL to Del Rio as someone suggested above is not possible since I intend to travel DAL-SAS on a Saturday and the LAX bound cars do not run on that day.

Ok, one last question. I promise (or maybe not
mosking.gif
) -

For the day I wish to travel, the SAS-DAL fare on #22 is $39 and #422 is $49. Now, would it be worth spending that extra amount and booking a coach ticket on #422 so that I can try talking to the Attendant at SAS if he/she will let me board the coach car as soon as the Sunset Limited arrives, that is, before those two cars from SL are separated and put in the siding, and spend the night in my coach seat? Or are you folks absolutely certain I will not be allowed to board the train until its time for departure in the morning, so I rather book the cheaper ticket on #22 and save those $10 for a midnight meal at that Denny's outside the station?
smile.gif

"put on a siding - hooked up to ground power" - that's the key information I was looking for, thanks! I was under the impression the two cars of 422 are detached from Sunset Limited and kept on a platform line at the SAS station itself, so was wondering why would it be such a big deal about whether someone is allowed on and off in the night because if the cars are sitting at the platform I'd imagine several people going out and in to stretch out, smoke etc, but since it sits on a siding, its a different story altogether.
There are two active sidings with power and water connections at SAS, both of which have a platform. However, due to limitations of the layout the train closest to the station will block access to the train on the other track. There used to be a third siding but the only thing it's used for now is parking an old steam engine. I'm not sure why Amtrak staff insist you either stay off or stay off. Maybe they don't have anyone tasked with managing the cars during the crew change period so they simply lock them up and let them sleep.

Assuming everything is on time you'll have about nine hours in San Antonio. On a Saturday night things should already be rocking on the River Walk. Pretty much everything will be closing up by 2:00AM as that's last call in the State of Texas. If you can last the next four hours or so at Denny's then that would pretty much wrap up your night. Or you can sit in the station and watch infomercials on their TV. But if it was me I'd definitely try to get a room in a hotel somewhere.

I guess the only options I have are to either spend the night at the SAS station, or book a hotel room. Booking a ticket from DAL to Del Rio as someone suggested above is not possible since I intend to travel DAL-SAS on a Saturday and the LAX bound cars do not run on that day.
Technically the westbound Limited does run on Saturday but it will have already left at 5:40AM or so. If you could swing a Friday trip then you'd be able to do the Del Rio throwaway ticket option for a nice and leisurely layover.

Would it be worth spending that extra amount and booking a coach ticket on #422 so that I can try talking to the Attendant at SAS if he/she will let me board the coach car as soon as the Sunset Limited arrives, that is, before those two cars from SL are separated and put in the siding, and spend the night in my coach seat? Or are you folks absolutely certain I will not be allowed to board the train until its time for departure in the morning, so I rather book the cheaper ticket on #22 and save those $10 for a midnight meal at that Denny's outside the station?
The eastbound Limited is scheduled to arrive within a few minutes of the southbound Eagle and with the Eagle's routine delays the Limited is likely to arrive before the Eagle does. You can certainly ask to board if you want, but in my experience coach passengers have to wait for the next day's conductor to call for the lineup a few minutes before departure. If you're in a sleeper you can board maybe an hour or so before the coach passengers but I've never seen anyone try to board the Eagle eight or nine hours before departure.

Two suggestions:

1. Go to Fort Worth to catch the Eagle, instead of Dallas. You can park your car in any of the Sundance Square lots and as long as you are picking it up after 6:00 pm, or on a weekend or holiday, there is no parking charge...no matter how long you leave it. That is good, compared to the 15 a day at Union Station. Or take the TRE to Ft. Worth, there is a stop at the intermodal, which is where the Eagle departs. But REMEMBER, the TRE does NOT run on Sundays.........that is why we usually just park at a Sundance lot.

2. There is a really good Holiday Inn Express right around the corner fron SAS Amtrak station. Weekend rates are very reasonable, and you get 10 Priority Clib points per dollar, and only 5 per dollar at Staybridge.

We make this trip from Grand Prairie at least 5 times a year just to go down to relax, or to go to Sam's Burger Joint to see a blues show. The riverwalk is in easy walking distance from the station, especially after dark when it has cooled down a little, and the lights under the expressway bridge are a real hoot! We generally make it a trip where we get to spend a full day in SA, instead of arriving late at night and returning early the next morning. If you do that, you can ride the VIA trolley for a pittance and go almost anywhere you could want to go in SA for a day.

It is a really good, fun trip on the Eagle, and who can't have a good visit to SA?

Have fun...

I am planning to take the southbound TE from DAL to SAS and the northbound TE next morning back from SAS to DAL, just for a joyride, so was wondering what options I have to spend the night at SAS between 21's arrival and 22's departure.
You could buy a #421 sleeper to Del Rio (DRT). That would let you stay onboard until the ~0540 departure. Then jump off at ~0535 and hope for an early boarding #422 !!!

You could buy a #421 sleeper to Del Rio (DRT). That would let you stay onboard until the ~0540 departure. Then jump off at ~0535 and hope for an early boarding #422
If you arrive on a Saturday night there is no #1 the following Sunday morning and thus no #421 to ticket.

Two suggestions:

1. Go to Fort Worth to catch the Eagle, instead of Dallas. You can park your car in any of the Sundance Square lots and as long as you are picking it up after 6:00 pm, or on a weekend or holiday, there is no parking charge...no matter how long you leave it. That is good, compared to the 15 a day at Union Station. Or take the TRE to Ft. Worth, there is a stop at the intermodal, which is where the Eagle departs. But REMEMBER, the TRE does NOT run on Sundays.........that is why we usually just park at a Sundance lot.
That's a nice suggestion! Thanks! The thing is, I already purchased my tickets an hour back for DAL to SAS and back. Is there any way I can change it to FTW now? Or can I just board the train from FTW while having a ticket from DAL?

I was considering leaving the car at home, taking a bus to the DART Red Line station at Parker Road (that's near my home) to Dallas Union Station, and the same route on way back simply because I am not sure about parking availability and rates around DAL Union Station. This is turning out to be a quite time-consuming option, so if FTW has free parking in Sundance Square, I'd definitely consider boarding from FTW.

2. There is a really good Holiday Inn Express right around the corner fron SAS Amtrak station. Weekend rates are very reasonable, and you get 10 Priority Clib points per dollar, and only 5 per dollar at Staybridge.
By Priority Club, are you referring to AGR points?

As of now I have just booked the tickets for consecutive days (reaching SAS at night and leaving on #422 next day morning) and considering TE's performance over the last ten days- reaching SAS on an average 2 to 3 hours late- I guess I will reach SAS only post midnight, so I guess I will spend the six-odd hours going to riverwalk before things close down, spend an hour or so at Denny's and the rest at the station, this is in the case I am not allowed to board the #422 cars sitting in the sidings. If the attendant is good and lets me board the #422 in the night, I'll just catch a short sleep in the coach. I've got varying opinions about whether or not I would be allowed to board #422 several hours in advance, we will all get to know a definite answer in a few days time, stay tuned in
smile.gif

By Priority Club, are you referring to AGR points?
No, Priority Club is the reward points program for the Intercontinental hotel brands, which include Holiday Inn and Staybridge Suites. Unfortunately, there's no agreement between Priority Club and AGR; unlike with a number of other hotel chains, you can't earn AGR points at Priority Club hotels, and you can't transfer points between AGR and Priority Club.

Thanks to everyone who replied so far. I am taking this trip tomorrow and would like to know a couple of tips from people who have been on this train and/or been to San Antonio-

How are the seats assigned for passengers boarding en-route? Do conductors already have it decided where they are gonna put whom? I mean, if I board at DAL, will the conductor tell me "go to seat number X' at the platform itself or I get to choose any empty seat myself?

What do the coach passengers do about their carry-on bags while they move away from their seats to the lounge car or dining car? Can I just leave my backpack in the overhead bins (which I believe are open) and go around the train or is there a risk of things getting stolen? Is it generally safe?

After reaching San Antonio (which will mostly be post-midnight seeing the SAS arrival time of TE over last ten days), if I want to walk to the Riverwalk is it safe? How long would it take to walk and what is the closest point of the Riverwalk from the station? Also, any tips on where to go and things to see along the Riverwalk? I don't drink and nor am I a nightclub person, I prefer outdoors and good-for-photography places, so if someone can suggest something that'd be great
smile.gif

Also, we will get to know for sure whether or not a passenger is allowed to board coach of #422 six or seven hours in advance once I try it tomorrow night
hi.gif

How are the seats assigned for passengers boarding en-route? Do conductors already have it decided where they are gonna put whom? I mean, if I board at DAL, will the conductor tell me "go to seat number X' at the platform itself or I get to choose any empty seat myself?
Conductors don't assign the seats, coach attendants are. Each attendants have their own way to assign.

What do the coach passengers do about their carry-on bags while they move away from their seats to the lounge car or dining car? Can I just leave my backpack in the overhead bins (which I believe are open) and go around the train or is there a risk of things getting stolen? Is it generally safe?
It is generally safe to leave your backpack. Take your valuables with you. Ideally, it is better to put overhead bins.

Have had it both ways, depends on how full the car is. Fuller car, the attendant gives you seating, emptier car, you pick. Just FYI, once got on with ex-wife and could not find seats together, decided to just fly instead, and deboarded the train, were walking back to Union Station and conductor stopped us and opened up a completely empty car for us.....more got on in FTW, and points south, but we were relieved to not ride in a full car, without sitting together.........car attendant was being an a**, but conductor was fabulously nice to us.

Never had a problem, even leave my books, snacks, etc. sitting in my seat while going to SSL or to the can.

After reaching San Antonio (which will mostly be post-midnight seeing the SAS arrival time of TE over last ten days), if I want to walk to the Riverwalk is it safe? How long would it take to walk and what is the closest point of the Riverwalk from the station? Also, any tips on where to go and things to see along the Riverwalk? I don't drink and nor am I a nightclub person, I prefer outdoors and good-for-photography places, so if someone can suggest something that'd be great

Safe to walk to riverwalk, but after midnight the only places busy will be like Dick's Last Resort, Hooters, and such that are primarily watering holes instead of mainly food places. Riverwalk is safe as long as you stay in busier well lit places from Convention Center (Marriott) toward the Mall, just walk where there are a lot of people, and there will be a pretty good bunch. Common sense prevails.

Consider walking to Menger Hotel, good for photos, as is the Alamo at night, it looks great. There is good walking around downtown, and photo ops, just stay in well lit busy areas......again, common sense.

Good photos also on the underside of the expressway bridge (you will walk under it going toward downtown), great art and fantastic light show.

Have made this trip with early arrival (before 9:00 pm) and then there is plenty of time for dinner and walking around the riverwalk. When arrival is late, there is always the Denny's.............

After 3:00 AM, there is nada.......rail station is small and usually crowded. Not inviting at all...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back