Roomette outlet question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meat Puppet

Lead Service Attendant
I'm taking a very small microwave to heat things up in my roomette, I tend to be awake when the lounge & diner is closed. Does anyone know the amp rating on the Viewliner and Superliner roomette outlets?

Thanks.

Food and drink is available on almost all Amtrak routes especially on long distance runs. Roomettes are small and they do not allow cooking of any type. Spring for $10.00 and buy yourself a sandwich and a soda.

All meals are included with your roomette purchase. Sure, you may sleep through breakfast (or lunch?) but there are three meals a day served in the diner.

Oh, that would be WAY more hassle than it's worth ... especially since you're getting meals for free in the diner. Just pack some cold snacks in case you're really starving to death during the few hours the diner and lounge are both closed.

The roomette space is really too small to do that sort of thing comfortably, and I'm certain the car's electrical system isn't designed for it. At best, you'll get stern words from your car attendant, and at worst, you could conceivably blow an electric circuit in the sleeping car -- which would not endear you to either Amtrak or your fellow passengers.

How do you define small microwave? The tiniest of them all still requires 800 watts. That's enough to blow all the fuses in your sleeper car, given all the other electrical juice being consumed with normal power sources. You would represent at worst a fire hazard and at best, a nuisance forcing the train to delay because of power problems. As a previous poster said, spring for some food before the lounge cafe closes and eat it in your room later.

Now, does anyone have an opinion about a tiny chemical toilet I plan to have in my roomette on my next CZ trip?

How do you define small microwave? The tiniest of them all still requires 800 watts. That's enough to blow all the fuses in your sleeper car, given all the other electrical juice being consumed with normal power sources. You would represent at worst a fire hazard and at best, a nuisance forcing the train to delay because of power problems. As a previous poster said, spring for some food before the lounge cafe closes and eat it in your room later.
Now, does anyone have an opinion about a tiny chemical toilet I plan to have in my roomette on my next CZ trip?
It small only 600 watts, portable with handle and case. Does every roomette have its own dedicated breaker? I wouldnt want to wipe out power for the whole car.

Would you guys be more specific in your itineraries. I have a feeling I should fly on those dates, LOL :cool: !!!

I can see the new post now, "What happened to the Empire Builder"!!!!! :lol:

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
It small only 600 watts, portable with handle and case. Does every roomette have its own dedicated breaker? I wouldnt want to wipe out power for the whole car.
Honestly, bringing along a microwave oven (no matter how small) seems a little excessive. The outlets weren't designed for appliances such as microwave ovens - 600 watts is a large amount of juice to be pulling through that equipment, and is likely a fire hazard.

I know that there are some people that bring small a electric tea kettle for a proper cup of tea. Or you could bring an immersion heater to fit in a glass/metal cup.

Maybe that would be a better idea.

Then you could bring cup o noodles, hot cocoa, etc.

I don't think the Conductor would be too pleased if you brought a microwave, no matter how small.

I would suspect that anything pulling that kind of wattage could fry the circuits, or start a fire.

Since we currently have a sleeper shortage, I'd hate to see one cooked (literally!) :)

I'm taking a very small microwave to heat things up in my roomette, I tend to be awake when the lounge & diner is closed. Does anyone know the amp rating on the Viewliner and Superliner roomette outlets?Thanks.
NRPC Rules Of Passenger Conduct:

§123- Passenger Electronic Devices

¶ 456: Passengers bringing personal microwaves.

1) Passengers will NOT bring onboard personal microwaves.

2) When in doubt refer to part one of NRPC-RPC §123¶456.

Hey, maybe if we rent enough roomettes and rooms together, we could make our own 'fun train'!

Think of all the goodies we could bring!

Everyone could bring their favorites, & we could all be obnoxious together.

Wouldn't the staff love that!

Seriously, each time we have taken the train I have brought a very small cooler and packed it with bottles of wine and or cheeses.

I also packed crackers, cookies & candy. Hubby loves to snack.

You could always bring a small cooler with some sandwiches and some cokes/beverages in it.

Hey, maybe if we rent enough roomettes and rooms together, we could make our own 'fun train'!Think of all the goodies we could bring!

Everyone could bring their favorites, & we could all be obnoxious together.

Wouldn't the staff love that!
It better be like the airplane scene in "The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard"

I would suspect that anything pulling that kind of wattage could fry the circuits, or start a fire.Since we currently have a sleeper shortage, I'd hate to see one cooked (literally!) :)
And Amtrak has had at least 4 or 5 Superliners that have been cooked. One recent one, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, was due to the hot water heater. Another due to a smoker, not sure about some of the others. Interestingly, at least AFAIK, none have been a dining car where one might almost expect a fire to occur more easily.

Back