Amtrak Accident in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN now reporting an accident involving a AMTRAK #371, inbound to Chicago from Grand Rapids.

The accident has occurred in the yard south of Union station (near 48th and Shields). For whatever reason, the AMTRAK train rear-ended a freight. The engine overran the last freight car, a stack train car with one module. It appears the passenger cars remained upright and did not derail.

Video shows the #8 Engine with three Superliner cars (#35008, xxxxx, xxxxx). (courtesy WGN and WLS)

Chicago FD reporting 100+ passengers as walking wounded, with serious and critical injuries involving the AMTRAK crew.

Really weird. No slowing down or application of brakes prior to impact. Doubt the brakes can go 'out' considering that airbrakes default to applied when malfunctioned. Wonder if the engineer just thought that the frieght was on a different track?

Its a little sureal, I was out and about last night and i stopped at the depot to see this train... I know the conductors involved and it seems that they are okay from when i saw them on cnn. Just rather odd.

CHICAGO (AP) -- An Amtrak train plowed into the back of a freight train Friday on the south side of the city, seriously injuring five Amtrak employees in an engine car that hurtled to a stop atop a crushed boxcar. Most of the 187 passengers walked away.

Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said none of the passengers appeared to have suffered serious injuries when the Amtrak train came to a "very hard stop," but were being checked by medical personnel. Some were taken away on stretchers and backboards.

The Amtrak's three double-decker passenger cars remained upright, officials said. Most of the damage was concentrated on the passenger train's engine, and no one was in the portion of the freight train that was struck.

There were 187 passengers and six crew members aboard the train, traveling from Grand Rapids to Chicago when the accident occurred in a rail yard south of Union Station, Amtrak spokesman Derrick James said.

The National Transportation Safety Board was sending investigators. James said of particular interest is what the signals were before the Amtrak train got to the area where the collision occurred.

We just got the NAVY car home this morning. From the CNN footage, I have seen that the conductors and the Student Engineer were able to walk away, and the Engineer was taken away in a stretcher. The condition of the LSA is unknown.

Consist as I remember it from last night.

AMTK 8

AMTK 35008

AMTK 34002

AMTK 34054

Is it normal in this kind of accident for the seats to come loose?Thats the report I hear from the news, seems odd to me.

Questions:

Were they "driving" into the setting sun?

Why are there windows on the side of the engine? Who sits in there to see out? I have this great curiosity as to what exactly is in the engine car (besides the engine and the engineer).

If there were 3 coaches, why would there have been an LSA on board? Wouldn't that imply that one of the cars was a lounge?

What would keep the engine from turning over on its side?

I would guess, based on the exact location of the incident, that the engineer thought the freight cars were on another track. There is a slight curve just before the site, and by the time the danger was apparent, it was far too late.

Were they "driving" into the setting sun?
Not at 10:00 AM in the morning.

Why are there windows on the side of the engine? Who sits in there to see out? I have this great curiosity as to what exactly is in the engine car (besides the engine and the engineer).
So that the engineer and the fireman can see out of the window. There are mirrors on the side of the engine so that they can see behind them. Normally only and engineer and maybe a fireman sit in the engine, but in this case it seems as though there may have been some training going on and therefore there were more people than normal in the engine. One has to wonder if the training or the number of people in the engine didn't have something to do with the crash.

As for what's in the engine, seats, controls, a bathroom, the engine, transformers, generators, large cooling fans, and an air compressor to name a few things.

If there were 3 coaches, why would there have been an LSA on board? Wouldn't that imply that one of the cars was a lounge?
It seems that they have a cart service on this train, much like they do on the Hiawatha service.

What would keep the engine from turning over on its side?
To some extent, luck. The fact that it was coupled to the car directly behind also had some influence in keeping it upright. But if the colision forces had been greater, if something had caused the engine to tilt more, or had the coupler broken or uncoupled, then it would have almost certainly rolled over. And we can be thankful that didn't happen, as more than likely that would have led to far more serious injuries, especially for the crew of the engine.

Is it normal in this kind of accident for the seats to come loose?Thats the report I hear from the news, seems odd to me.
No, it is not normal, particularly at the speed involved. At this point we really do not know that they did. This was a statement by a passenger, and if you read news reports on train accidents, there are a lot of "eyewitness" and passenger statements that have a considerable divergance from reality. If there is truth here, then the question becomes how many, where, and why, because it should not have happened.

Let's do a little calculation here:

Normally a train brakes at between 1 mph/second and 1.5 mph/second.

....1.5 mph/s = 2.2 ft/s/s = about 7% of gravity

Transit cars normally brake, and in the low speed range, accelerate at around 3 mph/second

....3 mph/s = 4.4 ft/s/s = about 14% of gravity.

If the pictures and stated speeds are to be believed, by riding up over the container, the train stopped from 15 to 20 mph in a distance of about 50 feet. Churning through the math gives a stopping rate of about 9 ft/s/s, or the other way, 6 mph/second. Yeah, I know the actual conversion 9 ft/sec is 6.136 mph, but the 9 is a result of an approximation of both speed and distance so it could well be anywhere between more or less about 8 and about 10, so 6 is good enough. This gives an acceleration rate of 28% of gravity, call it somewhere between a 25% and 30% range. This will throw you off your feet, and if unexpected, and this was, shove you into the seat in front of you. But, normally the results of a stop at this rate are in the bumps and bruises range. People seated should have for the most part have experienced a good shaking, spilled coffee and little more. A quick stop in a car can be at a higher rate than this, but you are supposed to belted in there. The time between initial contact and stop should have been somewhere in the range of 3 to 4 seconds.

As some had said, if the containers had been two high and loaded, the stop would have been much more abrupt, and there would have been a lot more injuries and more serious injuries. In addition, the engine crew would most likely have ended up dead.

From things said elsewhere, it appears that there were three people in the cab and the third was a student engineer.

Here's the Amtrak press release on the accident.

Amtrak Train Strikes Norfolk Southern Freight Near Chicago
November 30, 2007

3 pm EDT

Amtrak customer care and investigative teams have arrived at the scene of an accident involving Amtrak train 371. The train, called the Pere Marquette, traveling from Grand Rapids, Mich. to Chicago struck a Norfolk Southern freight train at approximately 11:30 am CT, in south Chicago.

The locomotive of the Amtrak train derailed. The remainder of the train, which consists of one engine and three cars, is upright and on the rails. A total of 30 injuries have been reported. Among those, five serious injuries were to Amtrak crew members. There were 187 passengers and six crew members on board the train. Uninjured passengers and their personal effects are being bussed to their destination.

Concerned friends and family can call the passenger hotline at 800-523-9101.

Amtrak service between Michigan points and Chicago is currently suspended.

Passengers should call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for specific information and train status updates.

This information is correct as of the date and time above and will be updated as needed.
The full press release can be found here.

Why is it that the first thing that came to my mind was didn't that big Metra derailment a couple of years ago happen somewhat near the same place. I'll be interested to see what the factors that are viewed to be the cause of this wreck. I'm just glad there were no fatalities.

I kind of wonder why (per the news reports) there were 5 Amtrak employees in the cab...

It seems that they have a cart service on this train, much like they do on the Hiawatha service.
If the first coach was 35008, then I suppose it's possible the LSA could have been selling food downstairs.

This consist used the lower level of the snack coach which was the 1st car in the consist. The set up is loosely like the Superliner I lounge lower-level attendant area. The main benefit for the snack coaches HOT COFFEE!!!! Which a cart based attendant can't do.

Why is it that the first thing that came to my mind was didn't that big Metra derailment a couple of years ago happen somewhat near the same place. I'll be interested to see what the factors that are viewed to be the cause of this wreck. I'm just glad there were no fatalities.

Geographically, yes. However the Metra derailment was on a different set of tracks that were on the east side of the Dan Ryan Expressway (90-94). Those were the Rock Island RR's tracks. I believe NYC used them too.

Today's incident occurred on the set of tracks that are west of the Dan Ryan. These tracks used to belong to the Pennsylvania RR. The two sets of tracks intersect at Englewood. If you use google maps, you should get a clearer picture of this area. Hope this helps.

i realize we don't know who was in the cab but i read one may have been a student engineer. what kind of experience, training and certification are necessary to be an amtrak engineer. also, i was watching a crew change on the eb at minot, nd a few weeks ago and saw, what i assume were, our new engineer and fireman climb into the cab. they looked young(maybe 30's)to me. what is an average age for engine crews? thanks and our thoughts to those who were injured in this accident.

xinsrc_24212040109374841508850.jpg

xinsrc_2521204010937093984851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the whole front end of the engine is bend downwards, and looks like a lot of the front workdesks came loose and flew forward, or perhaps it is the downward bend of the exterior that is causing that effect. That must have been a horrendous jolt to the front of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back