Lake Shore/Capitol Limited Sleeping Car Menu Refresh 1/16/19

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lounge car has always been added in Albany, and I don't think they have ever served snacks out of the diner.
Oh yes. They used to serve snacks in the Diner on the Albany - NY leg of the LSL on the eastbound for several years quite a while back. I have actually used such many times in the past.

For someone as young as you, you seem to have incredibly certain thoughts about thing that occurred before you could speak or stand on your feet eh? :lol:

Even before that for a brief period they even used to serve Dinner in the Diner too. The sliding backwards on food service started decades back.

Getting back on topic it seems that the LSL and CL food at the very least now includes 3 hot entrees. After reviewing the menu its still not great and its served in a box,  but good enough for my wife to book a trip for us this May. Food seems similar to what we used to get on the Cardinal but FAR less choices. Last we recall they serve on plates there too and you have the community seating which we like. The Cardinal menu offers 

[SIZE=11pt]BREAKFAST[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Southern Style Chicken Biscuit[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Continental Breakfast[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Rail Road French Toast[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Salsa Omelet with Roast Potatoes, Pork Sausage, (optional) Cheddar Cheese[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Guacamole & Chunky Tomato Salsa[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Applewood Smoked Bacon[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Chicken Harvest Sausage Links[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]LUNCH[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Chicken Pesto Focaccia Sandwich – Train 50[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Honey Turkey & Provolone Sandwich[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Ham & Turkey & Swiss Cuban Sandwich with Mustard & Pickles[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Black Forest Ham & Muenster[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Chef’s Leafy Green Salad with (optional) Diced Turkey & Turkey Breast[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Chicken Caesar Salad[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]The Cardinal Angus Cheeseburger[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Meatballs with Roast Tomato Sauce & Penne Pasta[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]DINNER[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Roasted Chicken, Madeira Sauce, Bread Pudding and Green Beans[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Seafood Jambalaya with Andouille Pork Sausage[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Pork Shanks, Tomatillo Sauce, Mexican Black Bean Rice[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Vegan Chinese Rice Noodles[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]CHILDREN'S & SPECIAL MEALS[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Kids French Toast[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Hebrew National Hot Dog[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Cheese Pizza[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]DESSERTS[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]No Sugar Added Vanilla Pudding[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Greek Yogurt Cheesecake[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Lemon Citrus Tart, Strawberry Garnish[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.02pt]Chocolate Caramel Whiskey Pecan Bundt[/SIZE]

The above is done with one chef/server and help from an SCA. If they can so it on one train then why not do it on the CL and LSL? [SIZE=11pt]                        [/SIZE]

No entrees, only main courses for lunch & dinner! Not good!

One thing that Amtrak just doesn't seem to be able to get right are salads.  Every single photo I have seen of an Amtrak salad looks like something a coffee shop from 1978 would serve with their Salisbury Steak blue plate special.

Oh yes. They used to serve snacks in the Diner on the Albany - NY leg of the LSL on the eastbound for several years quite a while back. I have actually used such many times in the past.

For someone as young as you, you seem to have incredibly certain thoughts about thing that occurred before you could speak or stand on your feet eh? :lol:

Even before that for a brief period they even used to serve Dinner in the Diner too. The sliding backwards on food service started decades back.
Sorry, I should have said "in the ten years I've been riding the LSL, they have never served snacks out of the diner".

NONE of them look appetizing to me.   The pork shanks look like vomit.    The portions don't look large enough to feed a bird.   I will probably need to grab something before I get onboard  the CL.
The pork shank is on the Cardinal, not the CL or LSL. The only one Cardinal option that can sort of be found on the LSL/CL is the Asian Noodle Bowl, albeit with the shrimp taken out.

Sorry, I should have said "in the ten years I've been riding the LSL, they have never served snacks out of the diner".
It always was a common practice. It was easy to miss... just chips, candy, and drinks.

I remember they did this back when the Crescent split too. My first memory riding the Crescent you had to get snacks from the diner until the Gulf Breeze section was added with the lounge. 

No entrees, only main courses for lunch & dinner! Not good!
I would never try to defend the Cardinal menu as the ultimate in gourmet cuisine cooked by French Chefs Just trying to suggest a budget menu that might fit on the CL and LSL. The Cardinal food is by all means basic but at least there are many choices and diners are served at the table.  Lunch has 9 choices, Dinner has four They removed the God awful french toast sticks for breakfast and added the railroad french toast which is typically good.  I'd love to have the full diner service again but with the way things are now, reheated high salt frozen foods are what Amtrak is offering right now.

Getting back on topic it seems that the LSL and CL food at the very least now includes 3 hot entrees. After reviewing the menu its still not great and its served in a box,  but good enough for my wife to book a trip for us this May. Food seems similar to what we used to get on the Cardinal but FAR less choices. Last we recall they serve on plates there too and you have the community seating which we like. The Cardinal menu offers 
BREAKFAST

Southern Style Chicken Biscuit

Continental Breakfast

Rail Road French Toast

Salsa Omelet with Roast Potatoes, Pork Sausage, (optional) Cheddar Cheese

Guacamole & Chunky Tomato Salsa

Applewood Smoked Bacon

Chicken Harvest Sausage Links

LUNCH

Chicken Pesto Focaccia Sandwich – Train 50

Honey Turkey & Provolone Sandwich

Ham & Turkey & Swiss Cuban Sandwich with Mustard & Pickles

Black Forest Ham & Muenster

Chef’s Leafy Green Salad with (optional) Diced Turkey & Turkey Breast

Chicken Caesar Salad

The Cardinal Angus Cheeseburger

Meatballs with Roast Tomato Sauce & Penne Pasta

DINNER

Roasted Chicken, Madeira Sauce, Bread Pudding and Green Beans

Seafood Jambalaya with Andouille Pork Sausage

Pork Shanks, Tomatillo Sauce, Mexican Black Bean Rice

Vegan Chinese Rice Noodles

CHILDREN'S & SPECIAL MEALS

Kids French Toast

Hebrew National Hot Dog

Cheese Pizza

DESSERTS

No Sugar Added Vanilla Pudding

Greek Yogurt Cheesecake

Lemon Citrus Tart, Strawberry Garnish

Chocolate Caramel Whiskey Pecan Bundt

The above is done with one chef/server and help from an SCA. If they can so it on one train then why not do it on the CL and LSL?                        

That menu is not the current menu for the Cardinal.

That menu is not the current menu for the Cardinal.
Do you know if the menu currently listed on Amtrak.com is accurate?
– BREAKFAST –
[SIZE=13pt]Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich............................. 8.50[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Hearty double sausage and cheese served on a biscuit with a side of fresh fruit[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]. (685 cal.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Continental Breakfast............................................................. 9.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Includes fresh fruit, vanilla Greek yogurt, croissant and choice of cold cereal
or hot oatmeal with honey. Cereal available with 2% milk or plain soy milk. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](669 ave. cal.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Classic Railroad French Toast .............................................. 10.50[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Thick cut, egg battered French Toast, dusted with powdered sugar. Served with breakfast syrup and a side of fresh fruit. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](648 cal.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Breakfast Bowl ...................................................................... 12.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Scrambled eggs with potatoes, crumbled turkey sausage and red pepper. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](460 cal.)[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]Served with a croissant. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](190 cal.) Add toppings listed below.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Sides and Toppings[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Cheddar Cheese [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](85 cal.) [/SIZE][SIZE=13pt]...............................................................................1.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Guacamole [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](100 cal.) [/SIZE][SIZE=13pt]...................................................................................1.50[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Applewood Smoked Bacon (2 or 3 strips) [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](54/80 cal.) [/SIZE][SIZE=13pt]......................................... 2.50/3.75[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Chicken & Maple Harvest Sausage Links [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](100 cal.) [/SIZE][SIZE=13pt].....................................................3.50[/SIZE]

– LUNCH –

[SIZE=13pt]Fresh Marketplace Sandwich ................................................11.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Your server will describe today’s fresh selections [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](641 ave. cal.)[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]. Served with kettle chips and pickle. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](128 cal.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Marketplace Salad .................................................................12.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Your server can describe today's selection, available vegetarian or with added protein. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](496 ave. cal.)[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]Served with a dressing selection [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](147 ave. cal.)[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt], roll [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]([/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]100 cal.) [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]and butter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]The Cardinal Cheeseburger ...................................................12.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Angus beef burger topped with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato and red onion.
Served with kettle chips and dill pickle spear. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](778 cal.) Add toppings listed below.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Chicken Fusilli Pasta...............................................................12.50[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Pulled chicken with red peppers, peas and corkscrew pasta in a light cream sauce, dusted with Parmesan cheese. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](490 cal.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Sides and Toppings[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Cheddar Cheese [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](85 cal.) [/SIZE][SIZE=13pt]...............................................................................1.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Guacamole [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](100 cal.) [/SIZE][SIZE=13pt]...................................................................................1.50[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Applewood Smoked Bacon [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](54/80 cal.) [/SIZE][SIZE=13pt]........................................................ 2.50/3.75[/SIZE]

– DINNER –

[SIZE=13pt]Mediterranean Chicken......................................................... 17.50[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Chicken breast with cheese polenta, vegetable ratatouille and roasted red pepper tomato sauce. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](470 cal.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Asian Shrimp Noodle Bowl .................................................... 22.75[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Lo Mein noodles in a garlic-chili sauce with ginger, broccoli, scallions, sesame, red pepper, carrots and tail-off shrimp. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](801 cal.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Classic Beef Bourguignon .................................................... 22.75[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Slow cooked, fork tender beef loin braised in red wine with bacon, mushrooms and pearl onions. Served with mashed potato, green beans and carrots. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](380 cal.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Vegetarian Rigatoni Pasta..................................................... 16.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Rigatoni pasta with tomato, mushroom medley, peas and crumbled vegan sausage. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](500 cal.) [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]This menu category features vegetarian offerings which are vegan compliant. A healthy option for those seeking bold flavor with reduced calories, fat and sodium.[/SIZE]

– DESSERTS –

[SIZE=13pt]Sugar Free Vanilla Pudding..................................................... 2.75[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]For those seeking a gluten-free, lower calorie dessert. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](90 cal.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Specialties ................................................................................. 6.50[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Select from a creamy Greek yogurt cheese cake, topped with whipped cream [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](345 cal.)[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]or an apple streusel tart with whipped cream. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](445 cal.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Amtrak Signature Dessert ..................................................... 7.25[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Ask your server about today's selection.[/SIZE]

– CHILDREN’S MENU –

[SIZE=9pt]Available for Children 12 and Under[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Children may order any item from the regular dining car menu at the regular menu price.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]French Toast with Syrup ......................................................... 5.25[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Available during breakfast meal periods only. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](403 cal.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13pt]Hebrew National Hot Dog ..................................................... 7.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Served with Kettle chips and a pickle spear. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](678 cal.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13pt]Cheese Pizza [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt](760 cal.) [/SIZE][SIZE=13pt].................................................................. 7.00[/SIZE]

I have a trip scheduled in a bedroom on the CL in March. This actually sounds like an upgrade and I am looking forward to the trip. The food is always a perk to me, not a requirement. And this will be my first time in a bedroom (I usually do roomettes).

To the above poster who suggested Amtrak look to how Caledonian Sleeper does it... umm....  here's some photos from actual travelers on the Caledonian Sleeper... this is the first class breakfast.   (photos are not mine, copied from travel blog sites for demonstration). 

View attachment 12217View attachment 12215View attachment 12216

Yes breakfast is served like that to some passengers since train arrives early 7:07 to London and 7:22 to Glasgow.  Sleeping car pax still have option of full breakfast though. The dinner is still as shown earlier, sit down service. 

The dinner/light bites/snack menu is actually 8 pages. Check it out at Sleeper.scot . Coach passengers have access to meals on a separate “seated” to go menu perhaps that’s what the breakfast photos are as well. 
I took the Caledonian 2 years ago from Inverness to London.  The train left Inverness at 8:45 pm so most passengers do not eat a meal.  Also the Caledonian does not have a diner car, it's a lounge car with couches and about 6 tables.  I had the haggis, it was fine but it was essentially microwaved airplane food.  The breakfast was exactly as pictured above, delivered to my room and heated in a convection oven at the end of the sleeping car.  We all concluded that Amtrak had better food and the sleeping cars on Amtrak were better as well.  I find that European and Asian trains run more frequently and have good connections but their amenities such as food and beverage are just adequate.          

Doing a little digging, and it seems (at least according to The Man in Seat 61) that if you have your meals in the lounge, you get the nicer meals seen; where as in your compartment it's the boxed meals.

Also, the Caledonia should be getting new Mk5 cars this year, so they might be a change in service.

peter

Doing a little digging, and it seems (at least according to The Man in Seat 61) that if you have your meals in the lounge, you get the nicer meals seen; where as in your compartment it's the boxed meals.

Also, the Caledonia should be getting new Mk5 cars this year, so they might be a change in service.

peter
I think it's the same menu. It may be plated nicer if you eat in the lounge (but not sure what the current practice is?). 

One day I hope to be able to tell you first hand... that's a route I've always wanted to take as well as the Great Western's overnight train "Night Riviera" 

https://www.railpassengers.org/happening-now/news/hotline/hotline-1-100/

RPA post talking about the menu changes...

Interesting line in the posting... the author states that Amtrak mentioned in their meeting with RPA about dining that the long term vision for the two night National Network trains would be an improved service with "more traditional dining options."

Will be interesting to see what that ends up meaning...

Hopefully that indicates that the two night trains are not destined for this same fate.

Further reading would hint that RPA's long term goal is to get the language about F&B breaking even removed in the 2020 re-authorization.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's the same menu. It may be plated nicer if you eat in the lounge (but not sure what the current practice is?). 

One day I hope to be able to tell you first hand... that's a route I've always wanted to take as well as the Great Western's overnight train "Night Riviera" 
Ist class gets the same meals but have first dibs on eating in the lounge.  Technically if the lounge is full 1st class passengers get preferential seating.   Again breakfast is heated in a convection oven that is located in the passenger car galley.  Each sleeper car has a galley at one end.  Dinner was microwaved and placed on a plate.  I complimented the server on my haggis and said; "I'll pass on the compliments to the microwave".  The meal was decent but I have had much better on Amtrak.  

https://www.railpassengers.org/happening-now/news/hotline/hotline-1-100/

RPA post talking about the menu changes...

Interesting line in the posting... the author states that Amtrak mentioned in their meeting with RPA about dining that the long term vision for the two night National Network trains would be an improved service with "more traditional dining options."

Will be interesting to see what that ends up meaning...

Hopefully that indicates that the two night trains are not destined for this same fate.

Further reading would hint that RPA's long term goal is to get the language about F&B breaking even removed in the 2020 re-authorization.
But what does that mean for the other full service "single night" trains like the Silver Meteor and the Crescent?

I think a lot's going to depend on what comes of the proposals they put out for the F&B program and whether they outsource F&B. The proposals included a number of options including continuing with Amtrak staffing on the trains but with the OBS program fully managed by a contractor all the way to fully outsourcing F&B company wide with staffing by that company - if they went outsourced F&B I wouldn't be surprised if that also includes managing all other OBS including the sleeping cars..

Last edited by a moderator:
I so need to rob a bank and ride the Canadian.
Good luck riding the Canadian, starting this April it will only run twice a week.  The Ocean runs 3 times a week.  Via rail long distance trains are essentially vacation trains and do not provide adequate rural or intercity service.    

Well - I’m going to be trying the new meals on the Lake Shore next month. I’m getting tired of the menu on the CONO plus the fact that my room was going to be in the Trans Dorm (no problems with the car per se but it’s just obnoxiously loud on 58/59 with no baggage car) that I’m flying to NYC and starting my transcon trip from there instead.

I tried the original boxed meals back in November and I thought they were OK, tolerable for one night, but this new menu seems to be substantially better. Guess I’ll find out!

At the risk of opening up a can of worms, what is the tipping protocol for this new menu?  I don't think that it deserves the same level of tipping as genuine table service, but I want to make sure that my instinct is shared by others.

At the risk of opening up a can of worms, what is the tipping protocol for this new menu?  I don't think that it deserves the same level of tipping as genuine table service, but I want to make sure that my instinct is shared by others.
There isn’t any set “tipping protocol”, per se.  In a normal dining car, we just tip 15-20% off the menu price of what we order. It sounds like many crews actually have been offering table service, so I think the main issue here is the lack of menu prices. I guess I would probably just assess what I think the meal is worth myself, and then tip accordingly. If they don’t provide table service and I have to pick it from the counter, I don’t know if I’d tip at all (maybe $1).

Good luck riding the Canadian, starting this April it will only run twice a week.  The Ocean runs 3 times a week.  Via rail long distance trains are essentially vacation trains and do not provide adequate rural or intercity service.    
When I rode the Canadian, I met Canadians who were traveling for work, back to school, visiting family, and one who was in the process of moving from Toronto to Vancouver area. I also met Canadians on vacation, as well as others, like myself from the USA, and also several vacationing from the UK and Australia. 

Back