Lake Shore/Capitol Limited Sleeping Car Menu Refresh 1/16/19

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never tipped on Amtrak or VIA based on menu prices. I tip $2 or $3 for breakfast and lunch, $3-5 for dinner based on service. 

With the new service, maybe a $1-$3 tip depending on the service. If they are being friendly, cleaning tables, delivering food, etc. than I''m going to leave something. If they are just sitting at the counter and not seeming to care than I probably won't tip anything. 

At the risk of opening up a can of worms, what is the tipping protocol for this new menu?  I don't think that it deserves the same level of tipping as genuine table service, but I want to make sure that my instinct is shared by others.
The union LSA makes average $25 an hour to hand out boxes and bags at 1-2 minutes a customer.  I didn't see anyone leave a tip in the 5 meals I had on  2 LSLs  in the D/Lounge. Everyone  self cleared their tables like at a fast food place with no help from the LSA. Amtrak's printed protocol on tipping is that it "isn't required '', but you can reward "exceptional service" if you want too. It is a stretch to call passing out boxes and bags "exceptional service" ?  

The union LSA makes average $25 an hour to hand out boxes and bags at 1-2 minutes a customer.  I didn't see anyone leave a tip in the 5 meals I had on  2 LSLs  in the D/Lounge. Everyone  self cleared their tables like at a fast food place with no help from the LSA. Amtrak's printed protocol on tipping is that it "isn't required '', but you can reward "exceptional service" if you want too. It is a stretch to call passing out boxes and bags "exceptional service" ?  
You and I go way back (well, seven months) when it comes to relatively heated tipping discussions, but I'm still going to say that I disagree with the suggestion that one should only tip for "exceptional service".

I mean, the job of an LSA in the LSL/CL "sleeper lounge" definitely isn't too complicated or elaborate on paper, but if I were to see on a busy train that that person is working to make service quick and smooth for me, I will probably tip. I likely won't tip much, but I can appreciate someone doing a basic job well. Just my take. Obviously, YMMV.

At the risk of opening up a can of worms, what is the tipping protocol for this new menu?
There isn’t any set “tipping protocol”, per se.  
I know that there is no actual written policy.  No need to be pedantic.
I know you know that there is no actual written policy. My point was not that you (or anyone) thought it was mandatory, but rather was just leading with the fact that there isn't real general consensus here on the matter. No need to pull a 1@cpotisch[/USER] and get defensive. :p  

If I go up to the counter (as in my last CL trip) and just pick up a box, a drink and bus my own table I feel there is no reason to tip. Although providing me an extra beer for getting the table ready for the next guest would be reasonable.

I'm still going to say that I disagree with the suggestion that one should only tip for "exceptional service".
Most of the usual reasons for tipping (basic wage recovery, special requests, stronger drinks, etc.) don't really exist in the Amtrak dining environment.  This is especially true in the era of boxed lunch style meals.  In my view the only remaining reason is for exceptionally positive service.

If I go up to the counter (as in my last CL trip) and just pick up a box, a drink and bus my own table I feel there is no reason to tip. Although providing me an extra beer for getting the table ready for the next guest would be reasonable.
Now with multiple hot menu choices I don' t see how you can self serve.  Someone will need to take your order otherwise how do they know what to heat up? .  Even with boxed meals it may come down to table service again. In the past meals were staggered to allow all sleeper passengers to get their meals. Now it seems like a free for all, first come first served scenario. I guess that we will know for sure come this May's CL  WAS-CHI trips.

Now with multiple hot menu choices I don' t see how you can self serve.  Someone will need to take your order otherwise how do they know what to heat up? .  Even with boxed meals it may come down to table service again. In the past meals were staggered to allow all sleeper passengers to get their meals. Now it seems like a free for all, first come first served scenario. I guess that we will know for sure come this May's CL  WAS-CHI trips.
During my trips on the LSL in 2018 you could go to the Diner/Lounge and receive your boxed meal at any time between 6:30 am and 9:00 pm. There were no set meal times.You could have any meal, at any time, such as the hot short ribs for lunch and dinner. The attendant never appeared to be harried or busy.

You may be right and I shouldn’t compare since I haven’t tried the menu yet. I’ve had some great short ribs and lamb shanks on Amtrak in the past neither of which was “cooked” onboard.

I’m skeptical in general but all three of the hot entrees line up almost word for word with a healthy choice entree. I know I’ve said it before but it’s pretty blatant.

9A77A50E-8F25-432C-A8CB-D1938A6AB157.jpeg

7357376F-16F1-4694-83A8-470E2DB1E6B2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What descriptions to do see as being "almost word for word"?  The only two words I see in common are "beef", "wine", and "vegetable". The pictures don't even look alike.
Damn, you beat me to it. But since I like beating dead horses and I already spent way too much time on it, here is a Venn diagram I made on the matter, showing every single shared word. :D

venndiagram.png

So yeah, considering there are a total of six shared words, including the words "with" and "a", it seems a bit of a stretch to say that it's anything close to word for word.  ^_^

The duplicate words are the main points of the dish: Beef with vegetables and some sort of potatoes.

the rest is "contemporary' fluff. (see what I did there?)

Results may vary but can we agree it’s some commercial brand of frozen food, “similar” to what can be found in the frozen section of the grocery store. It may or may not be an upgrade. Time will tell. 

I think a lot's going to depend on what comes of the proposals they put out for the F&B program and whether they outsource F&B. The proposals included a number of options including continuing with Amtrak staffing on the trains but with the OBS program fully managed by a contractor all the way to fully outsourcing F&B company wide with staffing by that company - if they went outsourced F&B I wouldn't be surprised if that also includes managing all other OBS including the sleeping cars..
Because of the Railway Labor Act, and associated laws, it wouldn't be nearly as easy to contract out OBS as everyone thinks.

For one, the OBS contracts allow us to work without hours of service limitations, meaning we can do those crazy things such as 18 hour days, 3 hours of sleep/downtime at night, or being of the train for 3 days.

If an outside contractor wanted to take over OBS, they would have to abide by hours of service laws, because there is no way the OBS unions would negotiate to give our jobs away.

So while it COULD happen, it'd be highly unlikely. Having to have OBS personnel change out every 8-12 hours would drastically raise operating costs, as well as be highly disruptive to onboard operations. (Imagine being in the diner for dinner during an OBS change, and having to wait 15-30 minutes while the attendants change out.)

If think they would have to be for any cost savings, storage etc. Its not like the Ocean where a caterer is preparing them. Good question for the LSA if anyone is riding the train. 
 A good question. I know that airline meals are often blast chilled to near, but not quite, the point of freezing. 

I just assumed that Amtrak’s meals are frozen.

Back