Southwest Chief News & Future Operations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience poor maintenance, sloppy driving, and proud indifference to safety regulations are all core tenants of commercial trucking culture. Not every truck is a future disaster rolling on borrowed time, and some companies do a better job than others of ensuring meaningful compliance, but a lot of them are tempting fate with our lives in the balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience poor maintenance, sloppy driving, and proud indifference to safety regulations are all core tenants of America's commercial trucking culture. Not every truck is a future disaster rolling on borrowed time, and some companies do a better job than others of ensuring meaningful compliance, but a lot of them are tempting fate with our lives in the balance.
Yeah, I know I'm drifting off topic here but there are WAY too many big, dangerous trucks on the highways. And it might just get worse. They are talking about driverless trucks. In my own personal, honest, humble opinion "driverless trucks" should NEVER be allowed on our highways. Think about this for a minute: What if that truck that blew a tire had actually been the leading truck of a four-truck "platoon" with the following three driverless. O.K., so what happens to those following three trucks after he blows a tire and loses control? These are not trains; they can't just automatically dump the air and stop. The American people should begin asking some very serious questions about this before this genie is let out of the bottle 'cause once she's out it might be extremely difficult to put back in again.

Back the Chief: My question is, will passengers really and truly be safer on a bus than on a train operating over a line with an automatic block signal system but no PTC and only a few trains a day in each direction? Really?

Regards,

Fred M. Cain

Since it is generally believed (based on considerable credible documentation) that train passengers are safer while on board a train than when they are getting on or off it and getting to/from the train, it should follow that each transfer adds additional risk, irrespective of whether you are transferring to a bus or a golf cart, though exactly how much is open to debate. Ergo, a trip that involves two transfers should be a bit more risky than a trip that involves none, even if LD buses are as safe as trains (which is probably close to reality).

Frankly I think a service involving such transfers will destroy the through service market, with only those who absolutely must travel through the transfers remaining as customers.

O.K., group, anybody for a "bus bridge"? Anderson would tell us it'd be "safer" than operating a passenger train on a line with no PTC. No? O.K., how 'bout installing "PTC" on I-40? Has it occurred to anyone that there is a kind of double standard here with railroads vs highways?
Are you serious? A bus can come to a stop in 1/20 the distance that a train can. A bus can steer out of the way of obstacles. Trains can not. A bus won't fly off the road if it goes slightly too fast around a slight bend. A train going too fast around a curve can fly off the rails. The two are completely unrelated and incomparable.

These are not trains; they can't just automatically dump the air and stop.
That is actually exactly what happens. The emergency/parking brake on trucks are spring loaded, and air pressure is used to release the brake. In the event of a loss of air pressure, it fails to safe and the brake applies.

In my experience poor maintenance, sloppy driving, and proud indifference to safety regulations are all core tenants of America's commercial trucking culture. Not every truck is a future disaster rolling on borrowed time, and some companies do a better job than others of ensuring meaningful compliance, but a lot of them are tempting fate with our lives in the balance.
Yeah, I know I'm drifting off topic here but there are WAY too many big, dangerous trucks on the highways. And it might just get worse. They are talking about driverless trucks. In my own personal, honest, humble opinion "driverless trucks" should NEVER be allowed on our highways. Think about this for a minute: What if that truck that blew a tire had actually been the leading truck of a four-truck "platoon" with the following three driverless. O.K., so what happens to those following three trucks after he blows a tire and loses control? These are not trains; they can't just automatically dump the air and stop. The American people should begin asking some very serious questions about this before this genie is let out of the bottle 'cause once she's out it might be extremely difficult to put back in again.

Back the Chief: My question is, will passengers really and truly be safer on a bus than on a train operating over a line with an automatic block signal system but no PTC and only a few trains a day in each direction? Really?

Regards,

Fred M. Cain
Driverless vehicles are statistically much safer than human operated vehicles. I have no idea what you're talking about with driverless truck "platoons", but your argument that it's safest to keep people in the driver seat, is objectively false.

O.K., group, anybody for a "bus bridge"? Anderson would tell us it'd be "safer" than operating a passenger train on a line with no PTC. No? O.K., how 'bout installing "PTC" on I-40? Has it occurred to anyone that there is a kind of double standard here with railroads vs highways?
Are you serious? A bus can come to a stop in 1/20 the distance that a train can. A bus can steer out of the way of obstacles. Trains can not. A bus won't fly off the road if it goes slightly too fast around a slight bend. A train going too fast around a curve can fly off the rails. The two are completely unrelated and incomparable.
A bus will fly off the road, or topple over if it goes too fast around a curve. A bus going 80 mph can stop faster than a train... But not instantly to avoid collisions.

As a side note, I've been on a prevost (tour bus) that hit a concrete wall and I've been on an Amtrak train that hit a cement truck. Survived them both.

Had a talk to a railroad consultant the other day. We have truck platoon and automation trucks today. There call intermodal or TOFC Trailer on Flat Cars.

No need to reinvent the wheel here.

A lot of money is going in these new truck, not one is capable of doing, what I do ever day. Adapt to ever changing conditions. Cant be programmed. No two days are ever the same.

Had a talk to a railroad consultant the other day. We have truck platoon and automation trucks today. There call intermodal or TOFC Trailer on Flat Cars. No need to reinvent the wheel here. A lot of money is going in these new truck, not one is capable of doing, what I do ever day. Adapt to ever changing conditions. Cant be programmed. No two days are ever the same..
Even if an automatic truck is less safe and adaptable than your personal abilities it only has to be statistically safer than the average human trucker to be a net positive for everyone else. Just yesterday the ground beneath my feet shook and shuddered as a careless trucker suddenly bottomed out on a paved wash. It was so loud and jarring I had to look up from some paperwork about another trucker who had fallen off and under his own truck before it crushed him to death. I've seen these truckers ignore signs, drive double the speed limit, and take sharp turns like they're in a sports car. Playing cowboys and idiots is just part of the job for them and the current administration is doing what it can to roll our safety restrictions even further back.

What really would have made a difference in the referenced accident, would have been an adequate guard rail, to prevent an out-of-control vehicle from breaching the opposing lanes...

Better tire construction and/or maintenance may have helped, as well....

What really would have made a difference in the referenced accident, would have been an adequate guard rail, to prevent an out-of-control vehicle from breaching the opposing lanes...

Better tire construction and/or maintenance may have helped, as well....
Lack of guard rail protecting against excursions off the highway was a significant scary issue on the NEC near Claymont DE, when a truck blew onto the 125mph NEC track after blowing a tire. Fortunately there was no 125mph train approaching at that speed on that track at that time. An accident that no PTC would have prevented without much more robust incursion detection in place. Incursion prevention is way more effective. Protecting the track there with Jersey Barriers is probably a relatively cheap and effective solution, but AFAICT, that has not happened yet, while we are busy trying to discontinue an LD train because supposedly of the lack of PTC.

I should have been more specific. What I meant was, for me, the whole idea of an LD train is taking a train not a bus.

Actually, from Boca where I live, a bus would probably be faster and clearly more direct but I do not want to take a bus!

Finally, other than an emergency “bustitution” necessary to get passengers from A to B, I fail to understand how anyone, let alone the President of Amtrak, could possibly consider interrupting the SWC by placing a bus ride in the middle.

Those who may have a different opinion, are welcome to have such.

Changing modes, but within where this topic has evolved, a Flight Attendant (deceased. 55, Big C) once said to me at a Block Party, "If --- CEO of her airline ---- had his way, we'd all be flying around in drones".

Think of it folks; the only activity of air transport remaining done in the "good old fashioned way" is Air Traffic Control - and we have enough aviation hands around here to know automation of such is feasible.

Finally and completely off topic, a first for me since 9/11. Coming home from overseas last month, the United captain actually turned on Channel 9, or ATC for passengers to hear - well at least for departure from EDDM/MUC. English may be the universal ATC language....but some of THAT English.....?

You know, one thing that makes me hopeful is that the opposition to Anderson's "plans" appears to be becoming well organized. Interesting article here:

http://www.lajuntatribunedemocrat.com/news/20180904/southwest-chief-rolls-on

City Manager Rick Klein of La Junta was one of the local leaders invited to the special meeting of Amtrak officials, Burlington Northern/Santa Fe Railroad, and local officials in Raton last week. Klein was out of the office after the meeting last week, but was available for comment the next week. As we would expect from his tireless efforts on behalf of the Southwest Chief, he regards the bus proposal as a no-starter and totally agrees with former Amtrak CEO Joe Boardman, who has visited La Junta several times. Klein believes a plan can be worked out with BNSF and Amtrak by which $3 million required to start TIGER IX ($25.5 million in all) can be attained. Klein said, “The federal government is on our side. We saw the overwhelming vote of the Senate to amend the transportation bill to release the TIGER IX money. When have you ever seen that overwhelming cooperation among Democrats, Republicans and Independents? The vote was 95-6.” This will have to be affirmed by the House to make it actually happen, and everyone has been requested to contact his representative in the House. The very future of Southeastern Colorado and Northern New Mexico depends upon it. “When the grassroots speak out, Congress listens,” said Klein. Further, “The rebuilding of La Castaneda in Las Vegas is under way, but the train connection is vital for its existence. The economy of the region is at stake.”

And, another interesting article:

https://ladailypost.com/content/luj%C3%A1n-leads-efforts-support-southwest-chief-line

[SIZE=1em]WASHINGTON, D.C. [/SIZE][SIZE=1em]―[/SIZE][SIZE=1em] U.S. Rep. Ben Ray Luján (D-NM) sent bipartisan letters to Amtrak Headquarters and the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development (THUD) expressing support for the Amtrak Southwest Chief Line.[/SIZE]

The letter to THUD requests the inclusion of the bipartisan Senate amendment that provides $50 million for maintenance and safety improvements along the Southwest Chief route in the final THUD Appropriations bill.

And, another interesting article:

https://ladailypost.com/content/luj%C3%A1n-leads-efforts-support-southwest-chief-line

[SIZE=1em]WASHINGTON, D.C. [/SIZE][SIZE=1em]―[/SIZE][SIZE=1em] U.S. Rep. Ben Ray Luján (D-NM) sent bipartisan letters to Amtrak Headquarters and the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development (THUD) expressing support for the Amtrak Southwest Chief Line.[/SIZE]

The letter to THUD requests the inclusion of the bipartisan Senate amendment that provides $50 million for maintenance and safety improvements along the Southwest Chief route in the final THUD Appropriations bill.
Now that seems promising (to me). Maybe Anderson will start to actually give a **** about the consequences of his actions and how it makes Amtrak look now that 13 different New Mexico reps are starting to get involved. JMO.

You know, one thing that makes me hopeful is that the opposition to Anderson's "plans" appears to be becoming well organized. Interesting article here:

http://www.lajuntatribunedemocrat.com/news/20180904/southwest-chief-rolls-on

? The vote was 95-6.” This will have to be affirmed by the House to make it actually happen, and everyone has been requested to contact his representative in the House.
How can the vote have been 95- 6 ? There are only 100 Senators and McCain for sure was not present.

Changing modes, but within where this topic has evolved, a Flight Attendant (deceased. 55, Big C) once said to me at a Block Party, "If --- CEO of her airline ---- had his way, we'd all be flying around in drones".

Think of it folks; the only activity of air transport remaining done in the "good old fashioned way" is Air Traffic Control - and we have enough aviation hands around here to know automation of such is feasible.

Finally and completely off topic, a first for me since 9/11. Coming home from overseas last month, the United captain actually turned on Channel 9, or ATC for passengers to hear - well at least for departure from EDDM/MUC. English may be the universal ATC language....but some of THAT English.....?
Enjoy Channel 9 while you can, UA is removing it from aircraft now or turning it off.

hey did anyone catch this notice?

IMG_2027.jpg

I guess the previous TIGER grants are paying dividends now! What a waste if they go and throw this away and annul the train.

Back