Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a question that maybe should be a poll. If Amtrak said they would raise the CL ticket say another $25, $50, $100 but keep the old menu, would you pay the extra money or just not ride? Me? The reason I ride the train is not to save money. If I wanted to do that then I would fly or better take the bus.

When I travel, I no longer stay at flea bag hotels. I am still not up to first class when flying but I do pay extra for more legroom and avoid the budget airlines like the plague. When I ride the train I usually take a roomette for comfort. In my opinion, it is the perfect way to travel. The only thing that keeps me from using the train more is time. The extra cost is really not an issue for me.

I would think that most people that lay out the cash for a roomettte aren't going to balk at an extra $50 or $100 if it means keeping the trains running with good service.

So what say you? Are you willing to pay more for your room on the train?

It seems to me that we are already paying the extra especially if you don’t get the low bucket.

It seems to me that we are already paying the extra especially if you don’t get the low bucket.
Obviously you are paying extra for a room. Do you expect to pay the same as coach?

And I did not mention "extra". Read my post again.

Obviously you are paying extra for a room. Do you expect to pay the same as coach?

And I did not mention "extra". Read my post again.
No argument intended. Just wanted to point out that the room charge includes the meals and from my experience, it is a high price and that the price of a room or roomette is almost always more than the low bucket so I was not referring to paying more than coach.

Not saying I wouldn’t pay more, but feel that I often pay a lot extra above low bucket, and see the charge for a bedroom at really high prices.

That being said, there is a limit to the price one can charge. Each individual makes the determination for oneself.

When the meal is included, there is no way to determine what the proper costs are so no way to determine what “extra” would need to be charged to fully cover the cost.

Absent an outside audit to determine the proper costs and revenue, we will never know.

Further, (Congresses directive notwithstanding), even if meal service is not fully covered by the “meal revenue”, that does not mean that the meals do not cause an increased revenue which would be lost if meals were discontinued ( for purposes of this post I am including all food and beverage service as “meals”).

$100 for a dinner and breakfast on the capitol? No thanks. I'll take a box lunch for $100 savings and I think most would if given the choice. (Especially if they knew how inconsistent the dining car food is).

There was some back of the envelope guessing on how much sleeper fares would need to increase to cover F&B losses. Can’t find it on my phone, but I seem to recall it being more than $100.

I don't know if I'd pay an extra 2,000 points or so (which I think is around $60) to have the proposed menu changed back to the old style of menu and service. Nor do I think that'd be enough to cover the full cost differential between wait-staff, cooked-on-board service and pre-packaged meal service.

The diner service as it's been set up is quite labor intensive, and I don't really see wait-staff service as desirable enough to want to pay extra for it. I really don't think R. Anderson finds that aspect of the service as worthy of federal subsidy, especially since the law is still on the books that F&B has to "break even" by 2020 (I think.) If it's workable, I could see myself willing to pay extra (or finding the extra cost justifiable) for a chef on board if the service attendant for that car could handle the ordering process from a counter, calling order names/numbers, and either the chef or the service attendant prepping side items. Other than that, my main feedback is that there needs to be hot options (which I hope are added quickly; hopefully as soon as the staff are comfortable with the new process of meal service) and more options for breakfast (seriously, hard boiled eggs should be added to the current tray, perhaps being subbed in for one of the breakfast bars, and a hot breakfast sandwich with side option added as well.)

As for advocacy, I don't think there's going to be many open ears to simply reverting back to the old way of doing things; the labor costs are simply too high compared to pre-packaged meal service that doesn't use wait staff. (And, at least from what I've read on AU, a lot of the entrees were already pre-packaged and simply heated up.) That said, I'd hope that they're open to refinements on this plan or other ideas that use a similar amount of labor; this plan certainly isn't perfect and even within the labor confines of this plan there's more that can be done to make the change better. (Seriously, hot entree options!)

There was some back of the envelope guessing on how much sleeper fares would need to increase to cover F&B losses. Can’t find it on my phone, but I seem to recall it being more than $100.
I don't know if I'd pay an extra 2,000 points or so (which I think is around $60) to have the proposed menu changed back to the old style of menu and service. Nor do I think that'd be enough to cover the full cost differential between wait-staff, cooked-on-board service and pre-packaged meal service.
If one were to turn back the clock to 1990 or so, when Amtrak 'buried' the dining car costs into the sleeper fare they used some kind of formula to determine something like: 1 person, dinner & breakfast = $35 (in todays' dollars), etc. Whatever that calculation must have worked reasonably well as F&B costs were not a major 'sore spot' until John Mica appeared in Washington and decided he'd micro-manage every dollar for Amtrak, that he really wanted to kill completely.

In todays' terms, would pricing the currently $25 steak dinner at $35 work better, adding the extra $10 to per person sleeper fare? The question becomes what would a coach passenger be willing to pay for the same meal? Obviously Amtrak made some kind of meal calculations 2 years ago when they removed the diner from the Silver Star and roomette costs dropped anywhere from $15 or so to more than $100 vs the same (common) board/deboard cities, depending on what buckets are being offered. So, what if they simply do the same with the Lakeshore and Capitol Ltd...take the 'free meals' away from the first class ticket prices and go back to ala carte pricing in the dining car. Unfortunately, that provides more opportunity for cash shortages by the staff. Making it cashless only would drive away a LOT of customers, in my opinion. How would they process a credit card while traversing the emptiness of a lot of the southwestern states where there's no cell service? Perhaps they could piggyback on PTC bandwidth for credit & debit cards? Even Apple Pay etc won't work without cell service.

Maybe the solution is to implement an upgraded-selection to what's available now on the Cardinal. In my opinion, it's not as bad as many make it to be. Somehow, the Cardinal feeds 2 Viewliners full of passengers and 3 or 4 coaches from a single service car. Most of the meals are simple heat-and-eat variety handled by ONE person handling the dining section and another handling the snack bar and some cooking functions for the dining section. They're both working non-stop during meal times, but they likely get their breaks during the non-meal times. How would it work with 3 sleepers & 6 coaches like the Lakeshore will be running? They'd have to put a second 'meal car' in place, probably like the Lakeshore does when it has both Boston & New York sections. They'd both be laid out like the Cardinals' lounge/dining car. Alternatively, keeping the Amfleet 2 'dining car' currently in use on the Lakeshore seems to work quite well in my opinion with a crew of 3. Meals are all heat-and-eat, too.

Another option would be to put the same meals as the Acela first class passengers get in the planned 'first class lounge/place-to-eat' car. The single attendant could easily heat the meals selected by the passengers. But I'd open it up to coach and business class passengers as well with items appropriately priced. The few times I've used an upgrade to Acela first class was at breakfast time and I NEVER had a decent breakfast on the Acela. It's doubtful I'll ride the Acela again because of the food. But that's my opinion.

If it were up to me, they should make the diners all 'ala carte' and remove the extra charge from the sleepers. The key would be to price the food such that the diners & lounges break even or close to it. The union would scream bloody murder, but contracting it out like they tried (and failed) in the Empire corridor a couple years ago would be worth another try...and I'm a former TCU union member! Give each union member a decent severance based on years of service, etc. They'll still get RRR when they reach 60, just not the 100% rate with 30 years service. I've seen it happen too many times, especially in contracted-out operations, both white- and blue-collar jobs. A new company gets the contract, tells the current workers take a pay & benefits cut or take a hike. Sadly, that's the way business has to run if they want to keep their stockholders happy.

Whatever dining car 'solution' ultimately gets implemented on LD trains, I'm quite sure the days of steak dinners and eggs cooked-to-order at breakfast will soon be a thing of the past on all LD trains. So ride 'em while you still can get hot food! I'll miss the lush chocolate deserts, too!

I still don't see how tables for 4 with booth seating is a "lounge".
What do you consider a lounge? The SSL has booths and the swivel chairs, as did the PPC, but both of those are Amtrak inventions (the PPC never existed as we saw it on the Santa fe).
Traditional lounges I've been in had single seats facing in towards the center of the car, via rail park car as an example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Include me in the not worth $100 extra to ride the Cap or LSL.

I favor going back to the modified traditional operation of Diners,Lounges and Cafes which had all food and beverages a la carte for Sleeper,Lounge and Coach passengers.

Of course being able to pre-order when you book would be wonderful but since this is common sense it won't happen @ Ambus!

What they've done to the Starvation,CONO and now the Cap and LSL( as well as taking the PPCs off the Starlight which is now just another train with good scenery) is a disgrace! YMMV

Lots of comments here, so I might as well add my two cents. I realize these cuts are coming because of a wrong-headed congressional mandate, but dining cars are essential to long distance travelers. My wife and I have been on numerous long Amtrak trips and eating in the diner and associating with other passengers has always been a highlight. Moving to cold meals of sandwiches and chips sounds terrible. Also, my wife has to be gluten free and these meals don't allow for that. And, besides, who wants to travel on two or three day trips that feature cold meals/box lunches all the way? And breakfast sandwiches and sweet yogurt that my wife can't eat? Very disappointing, and we've traveled tens of thousands of miles on Amtrak.

Another point. Sleeper travel on Amtrak is hugely expensive -- much more than air fare. Taking away the diner experience will be the end of the road for many long distance sleeper customers. What does this mean for the future of the long distance passenger train?

What do you consider a lounge? The SSL has booths and the swivel chairs...
The SSL's chairs haven't swiveled for many years now. Apparently they were locked down by some FRA decree. Normally I'd be disappointed but the idea of combining three separate seats into a single pivoting contraption never made any sense to me.

It's a place for people to chill away from their rooms. Don't see why that's not a lounge.
For me Amtrak's fiberglass DC and SSL look and feel more like a generic fast food dining room than a genuine lounge. Compare the DC/SSL to the PPC and VIA Park cars to see what I mean.

Include me in the not worth $100 extra to ride the Cap or LSL.
The routes I rode most have already gone up more than $100 in the last few years alone. Will they finally break even at $200? Or is this a meaningless moving target with no end in sight?

As far as cost of Sleeper goes, I reached a point where I started preferring flying round trip to Tahiti (just to pick a random far away attractive place) than to travel the same route cross country one more time by Sleeper, for about the same price. But then I am probably not a typical traveler or user of Amtrak either. So I am not sure what that chocie of mine exactly means for Amtrak on the whole.

Another point. Sleeper travel on Amtrak is hugely expensive -- much more than air fare.
Have you priced airfare that includes a bed, if such is available for your flight?

How about the price of business or first class airfare (sans a bed), plus transportation from the destination airport, if necessary?

Is comparing airfare prices to train prices kind of like comparing apples to baseballs.

I can fly round trip Iowa (DSM) to Sacramento Biz/First for essentially the same as it cost me to ride the CZ from OTM to SAC in a Roomette this last March - $900.

Round trip on the train, 12 meals and a bed for 4 nights were included in my cost.

No doubt, I haven't factored in being assumed to be a criminal at the airport before boarding the plane, being herded and wedged into the econo seating space with the other sardines, layovers in airports along the way, etc.

Factor in too that for many of us regular or semiregular Amtrak riders the train itself is our destination.

For me, first/biz isn't nearly as necessary on a 4-hour flight than sleeper is on a 2-day train ride. On a four-hour flight, I'm typically travelling during my normal awake hours, so being in a seat is fine. On an overnight (or two-overnight) trip, I'll want to lay down and sleep somewhere. Thus, people may easily compare sleeper on a train to economy or economy plus on a flight; the upgrade isn't needed until it gets into the overnight hours. (And, of course, if I'm flying first class I don't need to be worried about being "herded and wedged into the econo seating space.") Having TSA Pre is definitely helpful, and if I'm flying internationally having NEXUS/GE helps a lot too.

Sure, the train is the destination in many cases, and for me train travel definitely adds to the experience, but if sleeper service went away I'd honestly just switch to flying instead of taking overnight train segments. Of course, that's helped by the fact that I'm at a hub airport for Delta and almost every major or semi-major domestic airline flies into MSP. (Even now I only take overnight trips when points allow; almost all of my cash trips are short-distance trips, even if they're on LD trains.)

Another point. Sleeper travel on Amtrak is hugely expensive -- much more than air fare.
Have you priced airfare that includes a bed, if such is available for your flight?
Why would you need a bed to fly anywhere Amtrak goes?

How about the price of business or first class airfare (sans a bed), plus transportation from the destination airport, if necessary?
Where I live flying First Class to any major city in lower 48 is typically cheaper than Amtrak sleeper compartments, and has been for many years now.

No doubt, I haven't factored in being assumed to be a criminal at the airport before boarding the plane, being herded and wedged into the econo seating space with the other sardines, layovers in airports along the way, etc.
Running away from a problem doesn't make the problem go away. Now that the TSA has a valuable revenue generating system (PreCheck) they have an incentive to spread their influence as far and wide as possible. Logic and reason aside, there is no rule or law that prevents airport style security theater from infiltrating major passenger rail terminals. One highly publicized attack on a passenger train station during a friendly administration's tenure and here comes the TSA (or another similar entity).

DA has made most of the points I was going to make. However to add some color to it....

This relative price discussion is so extremely origin/destination and also personal taste specific that it boils down to almost meaningless.

Take Orlando to Los Angeles for example.

Amtrak Sleeper is $1435 in Roomette two months out. Orlando is 60 miles from my home, about the same distance that Orlando Airport is.

United First Class $499 in Domestic First Class - nonstop, including a free meal and freshly baked Chocolate Chip cookie
default_smile.png
and all the Tomato Juice in the world
default_biggrin.png

I suspect that Yumacool may be thinking of an itinerary of this sort. This of course does not mean that such is true in all cases. One can be interested in other itineraries where train will come out cheaper and even faster taking everything into account.

In general, I personally like to take the train, but I would seldom take this itinerary from Orlando to Los Angeles by train, even after service is restored from Florida to New Orleans. As I have mentioned in a previous message, there are too many other places to visit and experience in the world, for me to fritter away time and money on traveling the same route over and over and over again. But that is just me.

OTOH, if I am traveling from San Louis Obispo to LA, I would probably opt for taking Amtrak California on price over the $300+ flight, even though it takes considerably more time on the train even after one has factored in the favorite whipping thing TSA of train enthusiasts and all the to/fro travel to and from airport to wherever.

Every individual has their own taste, prerogatives and choices to make, for every origin/destination pair.

When Amtrak police have questioned me (multiple "random" selections in chicago, both in the station and on the train before departing) I felt more like a criminal being questioned than TSA has ever made me feel. Even when my luggage was alerted and scanned at an airport they just routinely searched my bag, swabbed the electronics and off I was.

Im not saying I like the TSA, but if that's your reason for avoiding amtrak, just wait till you meet the Amtrak cops!

Just to see, I searched for flights from Vancouver to Miami, the furthest reaches of the Amtrak system that I could think of. A one way flight in economy on August 2 is $346, leaves Vancouver at 8:20 AM and arrives in Miami at 9:12 PM, with a two hour layover in Phoenix. While certainly some long flights, I probably wouldn't feel the need to upgrade past a standard economy seat, and that's cheaper than coach on Amtrak ($389.) First class starts around $725 (though options vary wildly) which is still half the price of sleeper on the same itinerary/departure date, and has the benefit of not requiring four nights in transit. (The other end-to-end, SAN/LAX - Portland, ME, isn't even possible on Amtrak without an overnight stay but is $250 for a one-way flight without a single overnight.)

Outside of some oddball cases to small airports where connections don't time well, I don't think there's any itinerary that would require an overnight in transit if it's not desired, and even the oddball cases would likely have an overnight layover at the airport/airport hotel, which would still be cheaper than the Amtrak itinerary in almost every case.

It doesn't always come down just to money or not wanting the annoying airport hassles.

Some of us truly can't fly. The last couple of times I flew, I felt truly ill from the awful air, plus claustrophobic, plus terrified of take-off and landing. That was years ago, but I can't believe that it has gotten any better.

For me, the only choice for a long trip in this country is the train.

It will be a sad day when the only long distance public transport in this country is a cramped, probably low-quality bus, or a crowded, cramped airplane with security.

At least Amtrak coach is roomy, and you can walk around and get food on board.

No one has yet commented (that I have seen) on the new cold meals for gluten free or wheat free passengers. It is probable that special meals of this type would be salads. But if one is truly taking a long trip, salads at each meal just don't cut it. Look at a train like the Lake Shore Limited. An end-point to end-point ride involves numerous meals and an all-salad menu doesn't sound appetizing. And what if this menu was implemented on multi-day western trains? That could kill the deal as far as long distance travel.

Many of us have spouses with whom we take train trips. I've taken my wife along for years and she has always enjoyed the dining car experience. If that is gone, it will be difficult for me to get her on a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back