Signs next to the tracks.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not realize that there are actual signs which indicate when the engineer is required to sound the horn.

I always thought (at least on modern trains) that there was some sort of audible or visual signal inside the cab that was activated by the locomotive hitting a sensor on the tracks.

Or is it both things?

I did not realize that there are actual signs which indicate when the engineer is required to sound the horn.

I always thought (at least on modern trains) that there was some sort of audible or visual signal inside the cab that was activated by the locomotive hitting a sensor on the tracks.

Or is it both things?
Nope, signs and, more importantly, knowing and being qualified on the territory.

Sensors in the track trigger the crossing signals.

If you could get yourself a copy of the NORAC book you would get all of the signal applications for lit signals. Someone's probably made it a PDF online now.
In case you don't have the updated version of the new signals that were added a few years ago, here you are:

Updated Signals :ph34r: ^_^ *

*The link is clean!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back