Signs next to the tracks.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KmH

Engineer
I know that an X means a grade crossing. Speed limit signs & mile markers are fairly obvious.

I'm guessing a sign that has 30 above 35, or 45 above 40 means the top number is the max ascending speed and the lower number is the max descending speed?

I wonder what the W sign in this video (at about 1:30 on) means.

https://youtu.be/X7xdcAvtJf8

I know that an X means a grade crossing. Speed limit signs & mile markers are fairly obvious.

I'm guessing a sign that has 30 above 35, or 45 above 40 means the top number is the max ascending speed and the lower number is the max descending speed?

I wonder what the W sign in this video (at about 1:30 on) means.

https://youtu.be/X7xdcAvtJf8
W for Whistle. Sound the horn.

You may see a sign that has 50 on top and 40 on the bottom, or 70 on top and 55 on the bottom. The top is the maximum speed for passenger trains. The bottom is the maximum speed for freight trains.
In addition between Portland and Seattle (possibly Eugene-VancouverBC) there are three speeds. Talgo-Passenger-Freight.

Regarding speed limit signs, I have seen on some routes a downward facing arrow with 79 and 50 written one below the other, or similar up arrow with 50 and 79 etc. I am assuming those are speed restriction signs showing what is normal speed and what is restricted speed? Or does that mean something else?

Tried very hard on Google but could not find an image of what I am referring, sorry.

Regarding speed limit signs, I have seen on some routes a downward facing arrow with 79 and 50 written one below the other, or similar up arrow with 50 and 79 etc. I am assuming those are speed restriction signs showing what is normal speed and what is restricted speed? Or does that mean something else?

Tried very hard on Google but could not find an image of what I am referring, sorry.
If the sign itself is at an angle, that means an upcoming speed change.

On former lines of the Southern, the grade crossing whistle signposts simply showed the proper whistle signal, from top to bottom:

___ (Long)

___ (Long)

O (Short)

___ (Long)

I believe that standard still exists on some former Southern Railway lines.

Tom

In my old neighborhood, which had several crossings within a quarter-mile, I used to see this sign:

W

MX

I assume it means "whistle/multiple crossings".

One reference I found said Southern Pacific used X in lieu of W for grade crossings. Multiple grade crossings would be a number of X's, one above the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
This document (UP) shows, at the bottom, the yellow speed restriction and green resume speed signs being discussed. It shows other signs and signal aspects as well.

http://signals.jovet.net/rules/UPRR%20Signal%20Rules.pdf

Here is the address for the main page...pick your favorite railroad.

http://signals.jovet.net/rules/
Oh wow THANK YOU!!! I have spent years trying to understand the complicated signal aspects, with little success, until now! Finally I can understand what those weird combination of green-red, green-green-red and such other combinations mean. :)

I was told by an old time crew caller at Hoboken years ago that the speed signs on the former Lackawanna lines were as follows: The lower sign with numbers indicated the speed restriction on the curve at that location and the upper sign in yellow was the indication for the next curve.

I was walking next to the CSX Clearwater Subdivision yesterday and noticed there was both a W and an X for an upcoming crossing. I am not sure if it is ex-ACL or ex-SAL, but it is along the former Amtrak route.

1489055999392.jpg

Here in the UK it is common to have W signs at other places too, like tunnel entrances or areas of reduced trackside clearance, to alert track workers.
They brought the same system to India too and Indian Railways still uses it. "W" for whistle, but most of the time it is more specific, like "W/L" = Whistle. Level crossing (road crossing) ahead, "W/T" = Whistle. Tunnel ahead. and so on.

Similarly, end of speed restrictions are denoted by "T/P" = Termination of speed restriction for passenger train" or "T/G" = "termination of speed restriction for goods trains". Does UK use these signs too?

Thanks for the links John (FrensicPic).

Looking at the BNSF and UP Signal Aspect Charts, apparently it doesn't matter which of the 2 numbers are on top.
The higher speed (top or bottom) applies to passenger trains and the lower speed applies to all other trains.

In all that then I also discovered what CTC means - Centralized Traffic Control.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could get yourself a copy of the NORAC book you would get all of the signal applications for lit signals. Someone's probably made it a PDF online now.

Back