Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are the details about 08 and 09 going to Pueblo? Some testing with the first two units that was unresolved?

Caltrans Charger with streamline rear cowl spotted @ siemens plant. Unknown photo source, credit is attributed to original photographer.

14910402_1268925066461616_5929916390473933105_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be that each loco has to demonstrate its 125 MPH capability ? Only Pueblo and the Amtrak NEC has track capable of the 125 + 12.5 ( 138 ) MPH speeds. We know each ACS-64 had to demonstrate those speeds before entering revenue service. If California sends its locos to Pueblo we may have a possible answer.

So what are the details about 08 and 09 going to Pueblo? Some testing with the first two units that was unresolved?
The answer is in the November 8 meeting minutes of the NGEC executive committee. Excerpt from the status update section for the Charger Procurement:

Locomotive 4604 is stored at MARC after the successful completion for Vehicle Qualification Testing on the North-East Corridor.

 IDOT 4608 & 4609 have been shipped to TTCI at Pueblo, CO for 500-mile burn-in testing. The locomotives will next ship to Chicago, when IDOT and Amtrak are ready.

 IDOT will now send a locomotive to WSDOT for 238.111(b) testing on the Cascades route. WSDOT will conduct the 238.111(b) test. Other JPEs are working with Amtrak for 238.111(a) test plans.

The answer is in the November 8 meeting minutes of the NGEC executive committee. Excerpt from the status update section for the Charger Procurement:

Locomotive 4604 is stored at MARC after the successful completion for Vehicle Qualification Testing on the North-East Corridor.

 IDOT 4608 & 4609 have been shipped to TTCI at Pueblo, CO for 500-mile burn-in testing. The locomotives will next ship to Chicago, when IDOT and Amtrak are ready.

 IDOT will now send a locomotive to WSDOT for 238.111(b) testing on the Cascades route. WSDOT will conduct the 238.111(b) test. Other JPEs are working with Amtrak for 238.111(a) test plans.
The unit going to WSDOT is 4603.

peter

The unit going to WSDOT is 4603.

peter

Sooooooo, if that is the case...why are the 4605 and 4606 currently on the way to Pueblo with the 4610 preparing to head there as well?

the unit heading to cascades service is a IDOT unit only to be used for testing, it will not be owned by Washington DOT
I know that, but that wasn't my question.
Right now that one unit #4603 which is going to WSDOT will be painted in the IDOT paint scheme; as it's an IDOT unit.

In other news apparently 4605 & 4606 are arriving in Chicago today.

peter

peter
Wait, I thought those two units were, as reported above, headed to Pueblo? Is this confirmed?

I seriously hope those units are not headed to Chicago. They were supposed to be cut at Denver yesterday along with the leaders which were going back to 5.

Edit: the cut and split have been made. They are NOT heading to CHI. The power tracking has been confirmed....unless they forgot to bring the SC44's with them.

peter
Wait, I thought those two units were, as reported above, headed to Pueblo? Is this confirmed?

I seriously hope those units are not headed to Chicago. They were supposed to be cut at Denver yesterday along with the leaders which were going back to 5.

Edit: the cut and split have been made. They are NOT heading to CHI. The power tracking has been confirmed....unless they forgot to bring the SC44's with them.
Just reporting what I've been told, apparently there are railfans heading trackside specifically to catch them going thru Chicago. I'll see if I can't find out where they got that information.

peter

Edit: apparently this is from TO. I'm not finding it there, but I'm also not a paid member.

IDTX4601 Siemens (CA), previously Pueblo, CO

IDTX4602 Siemens (CA), previously Pueblo, CO

IDTX4603 Siemens (CA)

IDTX4604 MARC facility at Martin State Airport, MD

IDTX4605 Pueblo, CO

IDTX4606 Pueblo, CO

IDTX4607 Siemens (CA)

IDTX4608 Pueblo, CO

IDTX4609 Pueblo, CO

IDTX4610 Siemens (CA)

Update your scorecards accordingly

IDTX4601 Siemens (CA), previously Pueblo, CO

IDTX4602 Siemens (CA), previously Pueblo, CO

IDTX4603 Siemens (CA)

IDTX4604 MARC facility at Martin State Airport, MD

IDTX4605 Pueblo, CO

IDTX4606 Pueblo, CO

IDTX4607 Siemens (CA)

IDTX4608 Pueblo, CO

IDTX4609 Pueblo, CO

IDTX4610 Siemens (CA)

Update your scorecards accordingly
This is starting to look like a usable number!

Are they production numbers or fleet numbers> Very often transit fleet vehicle number ranges (by type) are started at the 0 mark. Ports on circuit cards are often numbered starting at zero also, but not always. (Like in Nortel where line cards that were 0-15 and trunks that were 1-16) We used to joke about that in classes- all cards start with 0 except when they don't. Not starting at 1 is much more common than one might expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back