Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Siemens only released 2 units for testing and these are the 2 that are shown in the above video heading back to Sacramento...correct? Does anyone know what the next step will be and when the units will be tested out of Chicago? The units tested in Pueblo and on the NEC so what is the plan going forward? I don't remember the electrics heading back to Sacramento once they finished testing on the NEC but I could be wrong.

Two more are supposedly headed for Pueblo in the next week or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updates on the Siemmens Charger production from the October 11, 2016 draft minutes of the NGEC executive committee. The key info is that IDOT #4608 is ready to ship, so production is moving along.

There is a lengthy section on issues that have arisen with insurance and indemnification for the Chargers and presumably the NS Bi-levels that have to be resolved. An excerpt from that section:

The primary difficulty has to do with the fact that the equipment owner is not the operating entity and this has created a series of unforeseen issues such as insurance, warrantees and the like. Tim mentioned that somewhere in or related to the specification, the NGEC may be wise to make some sort of documentation that will make the process better and not prone to the pitfalls that this procurement has fallen into.

Mario Bergeron re-enforced what Tim had said agreeing that the issues are complex, but he emphasized “Amtrak is committed to make it happen in a timely matter.” There are a number of complexities “but we will get it all figured out.”

Mike Jenkins, Oregon DOT mentioned that as the equipment is being readied to roll out the prohibitive insurance requirements make the transition difficult. He has seen this before outside of the PRIIA effort with regard to a sudden awareness of “oh we didn’t know you were going to run them on our tracks” and indemnification and insurance became a problem. These issues “take away from a perfect specification process developed by the NGEC.”

Updates on the production and testing:

· Testing of the first two pilot locomotives is complete at TTCI. All tests have been successful and the locomotives are en-route back to Siemens’ Sacramento factory.
· The four MARC cars were used at TTCI for locomotive propulsion tests for the revenue simulation Test and should also be en-route back to Maryland.
· Vehicle Qualification Testing on the North East Corridor, is also complete. All testing went well with no issues noted. During the testing, nearly 1,000 failure-free miles were accumulated on locomotive 4604.
· IDOT 4608 is ready to ship from Siemens and will be released as soon as IDOT and Amtrak are ready.

Updates on the Siemmens Charger production from the October 11, 2016 draft minutes of the NGEC executive committee. The key info is that IDOT #4608 is ready to ship, so production is moving along.

There is a lengthy section on issues that have arisen with insurance and indemnification for the Chargers and presumably the NS Bi-levels that have to be resolved. An excerpt from that section:

The primary difficulty has to do with the fact that the equipment owner is not the operating entity and this has created a series of unforeseen issues such as insurance, warrantees and the like. Tim mentioned that somewhere in or related to the specification, the NGEC may be wise to make some sort of documentation that will make the process better and not prone to the pitfalls that this procurement has fallen into.

Mario Bergeron re-enforced what Tim had said agreeing that the issues are complex, but he emphasized “Amtrak is committed to make it happen in a timely matter.” There are a number of complexities “but we will get it all figured out.”

Mike Jenkins, Oregon DOT mentioned that as the equipment is being readied to roll out the prohibitive insurance requirements make the transition difficult. He has seen this before outside of the PRIIA effort with regard to a sudden awareness of “oh we didn’t know you were going to run them on our tracks” and indemnification and insurance became a problem. These issues “take away from a perfect specification process developed by the NGEC.”

Updates on the production and testing:

· Testing of the first two pilot locomotives is complete at TTCI. All tests have been successful and the locomotives are en-route back to Siemens’ Sacramento factory.

· The four MARC cars were used at TTCI for locomotive propulsion tests for the revenue simulation Test and should also be en-route back to Maryland.

· Vehicle Qualification Testing on the North East Corridor, is also complete. All testing went well with no issues noted. During the testing, nearly 1,000 failure-free miles were accumulated on locomotive 4604.

· IDOT 4608 is ready to ship from Siemens and will be released as soon as IDOT and Amtrak are ready.
Could you post the link to NGEC executive committee update from Oct 11? I couldn't find it.

How could this group (NGEC) not understand that the operating entity would not be the equipment owner? Hasn't it been that way in California for quite a while? Amtrak runs the Capitol Corridor, Surfliner, San Joaquin, etc. but the equipment is owned by the state. Someone in that group should have know that various states are purchasing the equipment but that Amtrak would be the operator. All the meetings, reports, etc. from insiders in the industry and they still get caught off guard regarding how Amtrak operates.

From the minutes:

Mario Bergeron [Amtrak CMO] re-enforced what Tim had said agreeing that the issues are complex, but he emphasized “Amtrak is committed to make it happen in a timely matter.” There are a number of complexities “but we will get it all figured out.”
There is the kiss of death. The dreaded "we'll make it happen" statement from Amtrak. If I had gotten 10 cents every time I heard that same statement from someone at Amtrak, and then had things delayed for months when no one could make anything happen, I could have retired much earlier. :)

Also Amtrak is but one party in this multi-party circus, and not always the most confused participant of the lot either. The CMO's statement is at best aspirational since he really does not have anywhere near significant control over the situation all by himself. At best he can try to make Amtrak's side of the participation trouble free. Even that has proved to be too much to ask for at times. Look at the frickin' fiasco that the NEC HSR work in NJ has devolved into as an example.

In parallel apparently at least two AAF units are getting shipped out later this month or early next month, together with at least four cars.
How are those getting to Florida? Amtrak? What routing would those take?

AFAICT AAF Chargers cannot hookup anything with AAR couplers to its rear end, unless they have some kind of a transition doo-hicky to insert into the drawbar and lock into place that has an AAR coupler at its other end.

The plan is being finalized but the projected route is through CHI-WAS-FLA.

Amtrak. Route unknown. Since the cars do not have AAR couplers, the entire train set will have to be delivered in a single piece. Route unknown. Maybe Thirdrail knows.
Which Chargers are on 6(25)? Illinois or AAF?
Two more should come out in the next week or so. I don't know how to tell if they belong to Illinois or AAF but in any event, these additional units are heading to Pueblo.

Ok, had a chance to take a walk. 4608 and 4609.
Per announcement on board 6(25), we'll be cutting cars in Denver. Seems that 4608 and 4609 are indeed heading to Pueblo.
I figure we'll also lose a couple of the 4 Amtrak engines leading the train in front of 4608 and 4609.

Per announcement on board 6(25), we'll be cutting cars in Denver. Seems that 4608 and 4609 are indeed heading to Pueblo.
I figure we'll also lose a couple of the 4 Amtrak engines leading the train in front of 4608 and 4609.

I'm guessing the AAF equipment would use the FEC from Jacksonville to WPB?

By the way, I drove past the repair facility last week (no pics). Looks quite nice, with multiple tracks laid out. Can't wait to see the equipment!

I'm guessing the AAF equipment would use the FEC from Jacksonville to WPB?
If Amtrak is doing the move, won't it be more likely they'll be using tracks over which they have access rights and on which their staff have route knowledge?

It is not easy to get to FEC WPB from Amtrak route, at WPB, but it can be done. Going from JAX to FEC WPB over FEC would probably be the easiest and most obvious way. In effect it could be handed over to FEC at JAX.

Last edited by a moderator:
gatehouse, can you update if the Chargers were in fact cut out in Denver, or if it was something else?

peter

PerRock,

Two P42s, two Chargers, one heritage bag, all cut for movement to Pueblo

PerRock,

Two P42s, two Chargers, one heritage bag, all cut for movement to Pueblo
KnightRail is precisely right. These were cut and dropped on the adjacent track at DEN.
All this extra equipment made for quite the train through the canyons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back