why can't food be better

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know where you live, but There's lots of people who don't eat red meat. And no, it's not my attitude so don't make comments please, not having been at the situation and suggest it was me. You don't roll your eyes at a customer-period. In non Union customer service employment people would be let go over that.

At the same seating a gentleman at the table across for me asked what the special was. True, they had announced over the PA what the special was before they went around for reservations, but the waitress said more than once, "didn't you hear?" When he asked. She knew what he was asking but thought it funny to not repeat the special.

Amtrak employees in my opinion more often than not are rude, at least on the west coast long distance routes and they wouldn't be in their jobs in customer service positions in other (non Union) businesses.

I've had great service too, but overall it seems to be hit or miss: some exceptionally good and over and. Above and others just really bad.

Regardless, this thread has been about food and tipping and how it can be made better. These are my opinions.

I still will travel by train and I hope Amtrak adds new routes, I will continue to support Amtrak etc. But it's difficult to want to tip 20% of your meal for surly service when you've just spent $$$$ on a bedroom. To me, I generally travel in the deluxe bedroom now and they aren't inexpensive. Compare to any other form of "first class" travel and service levels tend to be different.

Also, as was said one must acknowledge how much they are paid. They are paid not just a living wage but a very good, some would say even upper middle class wage. They don't need the tips to live off of as would be the case in a regular restaurant.

I really don't know what else to say. If the dining car is gone and the prices lowered, as I said before, I think I'll be fine.

The comments about Gordon Ramsey

Coming in are good ones. I just feel they could also benefit from some company like a Disney coming in for some customer service training too. I don't know why it Seems to be really focused on the long distance trains. I take the surf liner weekly and have only once seen an issue on there, and I know it's funded by the State but I believe the employees are still Amtrak.

If you've all not had those experiences, I say good. It can ruin an otherwise nice experience, especially when you're traveling with someone on the train long distance and it's their first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also, I think, something to be said for how long your trip is. I just gave the sunset example as it was my most recent, but that was 2.5 hour trip for me, so no big deal really.

When you're on the train for three days and nights each way, as I was over the holiday period, between service, out of stocks (they ran out of all tea one day into the trip, for example), it can get old no matter how much you like a particular item.

That's one of the biggest losses to me in standardizing the menu, with no variance on route or direction. I'm curious why they even make the separate menus on the routes now when there's no discernible difference. One would think it'd be another cut to save printing separate menus.

I don't know where you live, but There's lots of people who don't eat red meat. And no, it's not my attitude so don't make comments please, not having been at the situation and suggest it was me. You don't roll your eyes at a customer-period. In non Union customer service employment people would be let go over that.

At the same seating a gentleman at the table across for me asked what the special was. True, they had announced over the PA what the special was before they went around for reservations, but the waitress said more than once, "didn't you hear?" When he asked. She knew what he was asking but thought it funny to not repeat the special.

Amtrak employees in my opinion more often than not are rude, at least on the west coast long distance routes and they wouldn't be in their jobs in customer service positions in other (non Union) businesses.

I've had great service too, but overall it seems to be hit or miss: some exceptionally good and over and. Above and others just really bad.

Regardless, this thread has been about food and tipping and how it can be made better. These are my opinions.

I still will travel by train and I hope Amtrak adds new routes, I will continue to support Amtrak etc. But it's difficult to want to tip 20% of your meal for surly service when you've just spent $$$$ on a bedroom. To me, I generally travel in the deluxe bedroom now and they aren't inexpensive. Compare to any other form of "first class" travel and service levels tend to be different.

Also, as was said one must acknowledge how much they are paid. They are paid not just a living wage but a very good, some would say even upper middle class wage. They don't need the tips to live off of as would be the case in a regular restaurant.

I really don't know what else to say. If the dining car is gone and the prices lowered, as I said before, I think I'll be fine.

Coming in are good ones. I just feel they could also benefit from some company like a Disney coming in for some customer service training too. I don't know why it Seems to be really focused on the long distance trains. I take the surf liner weekly and have only once seen an issue on there, and I know it's funded by the State but I believe the employees are still Amtrak.

If you've all not had those experiences, I say good. It can ruin an otherwise nice experience, especially when you're traveling with someone on the train long distance and it's their first time.
I'm with blondninja on nearly all of this. (Also: avoiding red meat is really not at all unusual. Can't we agree to live and let live where food preferences are concerned?)

One difference: I'm unwilling to pay a 20% tip for surly service ANYWHERE, regardless of whether I'm off the train or on it, paying for coach, roomette, or bedroom. Being mindful of the legally allowed minimum-wage evasion with land-based waitstaff, I almost never completely stiff a waiter off the train, but don't hesitate to do so if a dining car attendant is rude.

I wonder if some of the customer service problem on long-distance trains is because most of the customers on those trains aren't "regulars." It's easier to think you can get away with being rude to a customer you think you'll never see again.

For the record: I'm not anti-union, and I'm in a customer-service business myself. Most of my customers are regulars, folks I see almost every week. I'd be out of business if I started rolling my eyes at them. Amtrak, and its union, needs to retrain or weed out the rude employees.

There has been mention of paying for meals separately from sleeping car costs.

When we travel LD, we find that 2 meals per day are plenty and would like to pay per meal rather than have a sleeper/meal package.

We'd like to have a lower cost sleeper and fewer meals.

Is this realistic for the future of Amtrak?

There has been mention of paying for meals separately from sleeping car costs.

When we travel LD, we find that 2 meals per day are plenty and would like to pay per meal rather than have a sleeper/meal package.

We'd like to have a lower cost sleeper and fewer meals.

Is this realistic for the future of Amtrak?
Yep, see the Silver Star and possibly the CONO soon! ( currently has No Chef, just heat and eat food !)

Hi- We were thinking dining room meals, Bob.

Have dining meal costs been separate from sleepers before on Amtrak?

They used to be separate I forget the year they were lumped together with the sleeper cost. I believe it was in the 1990's.

And I agree with you: sitting all day I can get by with breakfast and lunch and pass on dinner.

That is my biggest beef. I am forced to pay for all sorts of meals that are painful and unhealthy to partake in and have no choice about it. That is why I am relatively ambivalent about the Silver Star thing and personally I tend to select the Silver Star over Silver Meteor. I know this is contrary to the popular mythology here, but such is life.

Just wondering- if the meals were a separate cost- independent caterers could supply Amtrak with a variety of "interesting" meals

and those who wanted to pay for better quality could do so. Realistic?

Just wondering- if the meals were a separate cost- independent caterers could supply Amtrak with a variety of "interesting" meals

Not from a costs standpoint.

American Airlines has a system for first class passengers whereby meals can be ordered on line. Is something like this feasible for ALL Amtrak passengers?

I'm with blondninja on nearly all of this. (Also: avoiding red meat is really not at all unusual. Can't we agree to live and let live where food preferences are concerned?)

One difference: I'm unwilling to pay a 20% tip for surly service ANYWHERE, regardless of whether I'm off the train or on it, paying for coach, roomette, or bedroom. Being mindful of the legally allowed minimum-wage evasion with land-based waitstaff, I almost never completely stiff a waiter off the train, but don't hesitate to do so if a dining car attendant is rude.

I wonder if some of the customer service problem on long-distance trains is because most of the customers on those trains aren't "regulars." It's easier to think you can get away with being rude to a customer you think you'll never see again.

For the record: I'm not anti-union, and I'm in a customer-service business myself. Most of my customers are regulars, folks I see almost every week. I'd be out of business if I started rolling my eyes at them. Amtrak, and its union, needs to retrain or weed out the rude employees.
Agreed 100%.

American Airlines has a system for first class passengers whereby meals can be ordered on line. Is something like this feasible for ALL Amtrak passengers?
I presume you mean dining car customers on LD trains since other examples wouldn't make much sense. I believe the premise is reasonable in general but perhaps still unrealistic on Amtrak. On my trips the Amtrak staff on board the train rarely seem to have any clue what's actually stocked on their own train. So many times I've been asked what I'm having with no information beyond a vague entry in a tiny menu. When I ask extremely basic question such as what the specials are or what the "craft" beers consist of or which desserts are available in the vast majority of cases the waiter or waitress has to go and find out. Even on those occasions when they gave me an immediate answer they often get it wrong and then shrug when they bring the wrong beer or the wrong dessert. In some cases they don't even seem to know (or have not yet decided) which menu (full vs express) they'll be using until just before they begin serving. Sometimes they change the menus even after they've already handed them out. In other words it's a total cluster fork and I'd be shocked if a company like Amtrak still has the ability to fix the problem to the satisfaction of discerning customers and congressional partisans alike.

On my trips the Amtrak staff on board the train rarely seem to have any clue what's actually stocked on their own train. So many times I've been asked what I'm having with no information beyond a vague entry in a tiny menu. When I ask extremely basic question such as what the specials are or what the "craft" beers consist of or which desserts are available in the vast majority of cases the waiter or waitress has to go and find out. Even on those occasions when they gave me an immediate answer they often get it wrong and then shrug when they bring the wrong beer or the wrong dessert. In some cases they don't even seem to know (or have not yet decided) which menu (full vs express) they'll be using until just before they begin serving. Sometimes they change the menus even after they've already handed them out. In other words it's a total cluster fork and I'd be shocked if a company like Amtrak still has the ability to fix the problem to the satisfaction of discerning customers and congressional partisans alike.
The Amtrak Way (actual conversation I've witnessed on Amtrak).

Server: What to drink?

Customer: What type of wine do you have?

Server: Red or White. We only have the 2.

The VIA Rail "Canadian" Way -

Steward (not server): While your server is on the way with water for the table are there any questions regarding the wine list?

I'll let you guys guess which scenario resulted in alcohol sales! (Ok I'll just tell you.... VIA.)

Very! Just about every airline does something like this now. Just keep the cost of the chow fairly reasonable.

There was another thread where someone suggested doing airline type meals (reheat and serve). Sleeper accommodations are classified as first class. I don't think it would be cost prohibitive for Amtrak to allow people to choose their meals at the time of booking and those meals could be boarded, kept in the chiller until time to be served. I was a flight attendant for eight years and all you need is a convection oven. Typical domestic first class meal costs around 10.00 to produce. I'm not kidding. If Amtrak did this, then they could have plenty of options (vegetarian, vegan, Kosher, etc.) on board for those who want it.

At one time Sleeper accommodation was classified as First Class. That is no longer the case. If they were classified as First Class they'd be getting bonus TQPs in AGR. They don't. They are just an accommodation with flat sleeping surfaces in a private room. There is absolutely no pretensions about them being First Class.

At one time Sleeper accommodation was classified as First Class. That is no longer the case. If they were classified as First Class they'd be getting bonus TQPs in AGR. They don't. They are just an accommodation with flat sleeping surfaces in a private room. There is absolutely no pretensions about them being First Class.
Amtrak sleeping compartments are certainly priced as though they were First Class. Last I checked Amtrak still refers to sleeper meals as "First Class Meal Packages" on the menu. That being said with the singular exception of the Acela most examples of First Class references have indeed been erased from Amtrak operations, rolling stock, documentation and marketing. Amtrak's service standards and related terminology are often rather vague and arbitrary, so who knows what if any significance such terminology ever carried to begin with. The most obvious example of this are numerous versions of seemingly unrelated "Business Class" services that range from highly beneficial to utterly pointless.

FirstClassMealPackage.png

I never understood the half bottle pricing. So you really can't order a full bottle of wine?
Not on Amtrak! Buy your own if you want some decent Wine @ a worthwhile price!( the swill Amtrak has on offer is a joke!)
You can't bring your own wine for dinner, can you? Certainly, you can enjoy in your sleeping accommodations, but not in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back