EB mess

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, both 7 and 27 arrived in SEA/PDX less than an hour late this morning.

The revised schedule may help turn the 4 hour delays into 3 hour delays, but on days when things go well, it will mean a lot of extra sitting

around in stations waiting for the timetable to catch up. The folks on these trains would still not have arrived (as of this writing).

FWIW, both 7 and 27 arrived in SEA/PDX less than an hour late this morning.

The revised schedule may help turn the 4 hour delays into 3 hour delays, but on days when things go well, it will mean a lot of extra sitting

around in stations waiting for the timetable to catch up. The folks on these trains would still not have arrived (as of this writing).
You need to remember these trains were traveling over the weekend. According to the BNSF folks for whatever reason the EBs tend to do a little better on Saturdays and Sundays, thus the Monday arrivals for both East and westbound trains tend to be better. I would venture to guess looking at weekday traffic the extra 90 minutes will be closer to average delays going west bound. They were just barely under an hour late, by a few minutes-If you take the 90 minutes of "extra" time being added to the schedule that doesn't leave a lot of room for any other delays.

I would like to hope things will improve so that the original schedule can be reinstated, but the construction season has yet to begin in earnest.

Maintaining an "extra board" has no cost. Train crews do not get paid if they are not called.
I thought people on the extra board had a minimum garuntee. They are garunteed pay for a certain number of hours even if they are never called.
I stand corrected. Was of the impression that this was not so in the past, at least.

depends on the company, NS for instance has no guarantee for conductors but engineers have one.

Qualifying for the territory is a necessity because of the line of sight issues for starts.
You just pointed out that trucks are operated on line of sight and trains aren't...
I understand that in "dark territory" the engineer basically has to know where everything is, and in "roadside signal" territory the engineer has to at least know where the signals are, and with manual switches the engineer has to know where the switches are. My point was regarding PTC-controlled automated lines.

Another point is the nature of the grades, particularly with long freight trains. If you have a long freight train it could be spread over two or three grades. Improper train handling will result in slack action that can give you broken knuckles or harsh slack action that could damage freight.
That'll be automated within a few years.

These are just a couple of examples. Some of the engineers that visit here could probably come up with a page or two of reasons for the need for qualification by territory. Remember also, most of the railroad lines were initially built over 100 years ago. They do not begin to have the nice consistency that roads have.
You think roads have "nice consistency"? You don't know JACK about roads.
The roads in my area were upgraded incrementally from Revolutionary-era bridle paths. They have less than no consistency.

Rail lines have *massive* consistency and their characteristics (clearances, suitable speeds, etc.) are *much* more accurately documented compared to roads.

People have been chasing the concept of "unmanned operation" for quite a few years in the transit world. So far the reality says don't do it.
Docklands Light Rail. Case closed. Problem solved. Unmanned operation in the transit world Just Plain Works. (Also, Vancouver SkyTrain.)

Of course, people are uncomfortable having the train unmanned, so there's a "train captain" -- a.k.a. a conductor. Who can also watch for trespassers and fallen trees and hit the "stop" button. No driver/engineer, though.

Several years back now there is an outstanding example of a WMATA operator
WMATA has a defective train control / cab signal system. It wasn't designed failsafe, unbelievably. BART had the same bug (literally, they bought the same signalling system from the same vendor) and BART fixed it. WMATA failed to fix it for 30 more years, despite knowing that their "sister agency" had fixed it. There is something seriously wrong with the safety culture at WMATA. This all came out in a recent disaster.

The unqualified on the territory train engineer might be "less dangerous" than the truck driver on a road he does not know, but that is not saying a lot when you consider the relative accident ratios.
Well, that was really my entire point!

The crash rates on trucks and buses are *very high* compared to the rates on trains. Allowing a much less safe method of operation is a subsidy to trucking.

I feel generally unsafe on intercity buses. The drivers are generally extremely unprofessional. I've been on a bus where the driver ripped off the mirror of a neighboring truck by passing too close. (I saw the truck driver writing the license plate number of the bus down, so presumably that guy got reported to the police.) I've been on buses which were speeding by quite a lot. I've been on buses with aggressively rude drivers. This is among multiple carriers.

I've been on a few intercity buses with solid, professional, competent drivers, but they seem to be the exception. On passenger trains, the average conductor seems to be much better, despite Amtrak's reputation for inconsistent service. (And of course I never meet the engineer -- but they don't speed.)

Most city bus drivers in most cities seem to be better, though I've seen some awful ones.

By the way, most truck and bus drivers do run the same territory over and over normally, so they do become quite familiar with their normal territories.
Yeah, but they aren't "required to be qualified on the territory". And they go on detours without being "qualified" and without having pilots. I know atlases exist... but they don't look at them.

As I say, perhaps they should be required to be qualified.

They don't necessarily know their equipment. Just so you know, the Megabus driver who slaughtered his passenger in Syracuse did not know how tall his bus was. The bridge he crashed into was marked.

However, it's also worth noting that overhead bridges on minor roads are NOT required to be marked and are often not marked. Once you're off the main road, anything can happen...

By the way, in past years the legal limit was 16 hours. It was well the norm during WW2 that crews would be out on the road for their 16 hours and then being called out again "on their rest."
Thanks for the historical detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just-Thinking-51; Yes, I know that is reality. I have relatives that drive trucks. However, I also know that from the same that in the long distance trucking world 90% plus oof their miles are on roads they drive multiple times, so even thought there is not qualification on the territory as on the railroads, familiarity develops. Professionalism is knowing your limitations and driving accordingly.

Neoroden: I can see that discussing these points with you is a waste of time. Much of what you said in your most recent post seems to in general be in line with what I said.

As to the New York State road system, I can see somewhat where you are coming from. I have driven in New York State. ONCE. That was enough. However, New York is not the world, and the general thrust in road design and construction is to deal with the difficult locations, and even in New York there is more money to spend on road problem areas than the most flush of railroad companies will ever see. Just from what I say on my drive across the state I do wonder where it is being spent.

Megabus is not Greyhound or any of the other legitimate bus companies.

This conversation is getting well of the subject, so I will stop my part of it with this.

Wonder what's going on with #8 today? It left MSP just over 2 hours late, and been sitting at this location for a while.

Wonder if fright issues? My partner was going to CHI for a gathering, but he didn't buy his tickets and watched it day by day, and he ended up driving down.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1397156508.711482.jpg

-Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum App.

As to the New York State road system, I can see somewhat where you are coming from. I have driven in New York State. ONCE. That was enough.
Ha. :) And I live right in the middle of it and have to use it to get anywhere.

I do think we agree on most things.

It's worth noting that our NYS road system makes trains more attractive here than it does in, for instance, the "driver's paradise" of Texas. (Also, speed limit here -- still 55 except on freeways, 65 on some freeways.) Somehow this hasn't been leveraged to get us better trains, though.

Much of New England has similarly archaic roads, FWIW.

Wonder what's going on with #8 today? It left MSP just over 2 hours late, and been sitting at this location for a while.

Wonder if fright issues? My partner was going to CHI for a gathering, but he didn't buy his tickets and watched it day by day, and he ended up driving down.
8(8) lost 4 hours between MSP and RDW today. Not sure what is going on.

Now well over 6 hours late. Something clearly happened in the MSP area to cause it to lose over 4 hours. Bummer.
Asked one of the conductor of what happen, and he said "What didn't happen today?!"

Turns out that they got hammered just of MPS with freight. Then one had a car derail, and had to wait over 2 hours for that to get back on track. Then they were pushed back into siding at Duke, and had to wait for several freight.

He didn't have enough time to work 7 back so a crew been cabbed to replace them.

Driving commercial since 1996. With over 2 million safe miles driven. Almost ever week finding myself at a new location for a pick up, or deliver.
Good for you. So you aren't one of the many truckers I see speeding, following too close, cutting people off, etc.

(I have noted that trucks with "How's My Driving? Call XXX-XXX-XXXX" stickers on them are almost always well driven. The companies which don't put the stickers on perhaps want to attract dangerous drivers, you think?)

I don't appreciate the sniping of truck drivers as a profession, Nathaniel. I've driven trucks for my business, and have spent a lot of time in and out of truck stops because due to the (at the time) interstate nature of my business, I was bound by all the rules and regulations all the other truck drivers are bound by. And let me tell you the group that most hates, most despises, and absolutely would like to hang, draw, and quarter the shitty commercial drivers that have recently been entering the road- that being the vast majority of career truck drivers.

Most career bus drivers and a vast majority of career truck drivers are competent professionals who carefully and diligently do a job. They carefully study their route atlas or truck-specific navigation system, or use both. They know their routes very well, and don't get into trouble. They follow every rule, cross every T and dot every I in their manifest, log, and bill of lading. And you don't notice them, because they drive just fine. You only notice the idiots who have no business holding a CDL or operating a truck, or in some cases operating any motor vehicle at all.

They are very safety oriented, because contrary to common belief truck drivers do get hurt in accidents, and their primary goal is often to simply bring home their pay safely to their family.

You clearly don't understand the differences between truck driving and train operations, but they are huge. Qualifying a driver for a specific route is not practical, for one thing. Qualifying a train crew is both practical, and because of the nature of the the way trains operate, absolutely necessary.

Back to the topic of the EB - from what I remember, the new schedule is into effect through 5/31/14, even though I don't see that date printed on the schedule. It seems extremely likely that these changes will stay in effect after that date. So, since the new schedule breaks the 14-28 connection, how soon in advance will they post a version that goes into the summer? And when they do, assuming that the 14-28 connection is broken, what will they do for the passengers who are booked for those connections?

I know the new schedule doesn't technically go into effect until 4/15, but Amtrak is well aware of the problems on the EB route. It seems to me like the longer Amtrak waits to deal with these scheduling problems, the worse it's going to be trying to fix them.

Back to the topic of the EB - from what I remember, the new schedule is into effect through 5/31/14, even though I don't see that date printed on the schedule. It seems extremely likely that these changes will stay in effect after that date. So, since the new schedule breaks the 14-28 connection, how soon in advance will they post a version that goes into the summer? And when they do, assuming that the 14-28 connection is broken, what will they do for the passengers who are booked for those connections?

I know the new schedule doesn't technically go into effect until 4/15, but Amtrak is well aware of the problems on the EB route. It seems to me like the longer Amtrak waits to deal with these scheduling problems, the worse it's going to be trying to fix them.
FWIW: Just did a trial reservation on Amtrak's website for EB for late September, and it's showing the old arrival times (10:10AM into PDX).

For those interested in the Oil Patch issues in ND and how it will effect BNSF, et. al. this current article captures what is happening in this area and the extent and timelines for the Bakken development. Note these experts expect the production to peak at a max of 1.5 million barrels per month (currently at 1 million per month) within the next five years (interestingly, to be limited by weather (6 months of frigid conditions) and competition from TX), but for drilling to continue for more than 20 years (considering the average well life in ND is projected to be anywhere from 10-30 years this makes ND a long term production player to be sure). More importantly for rail travel, more oil will move by rail and these folks estimate that it will take up to 5 years for the railroads to sort things out on the Hi-Line, which is almost exactly what my BNSF contacts have been telling me: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/431833/

FWIW: Just did a trial reservation on Amtrak's website for EB for late September, and it's showing the old arrival times (10:10AM into PDX).
This is because the changes "expire" at the end of May. After that, the schedule reverts back to the current one.

This is because the changes "expire" at the end of May. After that, the schedule reverts back to the current one.
I've tried several other "trial" trips, and while the schedule may revert, the 14-28 connection is still broken.

I would be quite surprised to see them go back to the old schedule before the mess is cleared up in ND. Without that 3 hour "cushion" the eastbound EBs would continue to arrive very late at night most of the time. At least they have a shot at getting in at a reasonable hour now.

I've tried several other "trial" trips, and while the schedule may revert, the 14-28 connection is still broken.
And AGR will not reserve anything on a 14/28 same day connection before or after May 31st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back