EB mess

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greatcats

Engineer
Now that the famed hamster has safely arrived in Syracuse, on to less pressing matters. I saw something about the EB was routed through New Rockford, ND, but yesterday's #8 just arrived in Chicago nearly 21 hours late. What messed up this time? Must have been a really fun trip.

There was a derailment in North Dakota east of Williston. The west bound 7 made it past the site before the tracks were blocked. But the east bound 8 got halted at Williston until the tracks were cleared.

A Montanan who enjoys trail travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the EB got detoured around this guy:

3280368-giant_hamster_invandes_atlanta_by_skyshroud3.jpg

Wait, the EB couldn't have been delayed because of that hamster, he's clearly in Atlanta.

On a more serious note (and because you can't eat hamsters):

What does Amtrak do about food when trains like the EB are so late? I could see skipping a meal, but I can't imagine Amtrak keeps people onboard for 21 hours without food.

I was wondering about that especially in terms of the westbound 27, which doesn't even have a dining car after Spokane, and has been averaging 5 hours late for its 10:10 am arrival into Portland - and several times it has been as late as 11:00 pm. I've read stories where Amtrak has picked up food from KFC or Subways along the route, but you'd hope with the EB's situation that they'd have something planned nowadays.

They probably serve up the Dinty Moore special and a whole mess o' snack packs.

I've read stories where Amtrak has picked up food from KFC or Subways along the route, but you'd hope with the EB's situation that they'd have something planned nowadays.

I was on 27 back in May, 2012 when we were nine hours late into Portland and yes, those stories are true. We actually did Subway in Spokane and KFC in Pasco. When running relatively on time, a cold breakfast is scheduled to be served. I have no clue as to what that consists of, as I've had reservations on 27 twice and not experienced the cold one. We were so late on that 2012 trip that we got a hot breakfast, arriving in Spokane about 10 AM. My second trip, in June 2013, the train ended in Spokane and we were transported by bus to Portland/Seattle as we were six hours late. We did get a hot breakfast that time too. No lunch, however.

When 27 is on time, passengers get a boxed breakfast. I found this one from 2012 to be quite good.

551106_3556726031679_1244182464_n.jpg

Of course, being able to eat one's breakfast along the Columbia River helps :)

542548_3556727391713_1261961756_n.jpg

Am I dreaming or have their been derailments on the Hi-Line once every fortnight or so off late? At this rate, Amtrak should just give up on timetable for EB and advertise it as "it will reach when it reaches. Board if you dare!"

Am I dreaming or have their been derailments on the Hi-Line once every fortnight or so off late? At this rate, Amtrak should just give up on timetable for EB and advertise it as "it will reach when it reaches. Board if you dare!"
You are not dreaming. Heavy freight, grain and oil shipments are strewing the route to the max. This has wrecked havoc with the EB schedules. I'm hoping for a good ridge SBY to MSP in two weeks. I'm starting my offerings to the rail gods this weekend.

Time to bring southern Montana/North Dakota line back up to passenger standards. ;)
Agree. This is especially important in Montana where the EB serves towns without air or interstate highway availability.

I see BOTH #7 and #8 were just put into "Service Disruption" status today. Another derailment--I hope not!!!!

What an unreal mess for the EBs this winter.

:-(

Any estimates how much money Amtrak is losing on the EB due to all these delays? I can think of extra costs incurred due to-

1) Additional crew being deployed

2) Extra fuel burnt (N extra hours x 2 locomotives per train)

3) Hotel stays for stranded passengers and crew

4) Extra meals to passengers

5) Refunding ticket fare and/or issuing vouchers to disgruntled passengers who call Customer Service

etc etc

At some point, would it make more economic sense for Amtrak to just cancel EB indefinitely until the mess can be settled? Or does that risk going Sunset East way with train service never resuming?

At some point, would it make more economic sense for Amtrak to just cancel EB indefinitely until the mess can be settled? Or does that risk going Sunset East way with train service never resuming?
Wondering the same thing...things just can't continue like this indefinitely, suspending service makes a lot of sense, but getting back to operation might prove difficult-traffic on the line is only going to continue to increase. Oil loading terminals are still being built, with many more planned. If the trains are suspended, I can see it being difficult to ever get back on the tracks. Would also mean a lot of layoffs and furloughs I would think, from T&E, OBS, and station workers-but, something surely has to give eventually....keep trying to run with this level of service and the train will surely die a slow painful death anyway....this has to have an effect on bookings. I have a trip to Minot coming up soon...will be flying.....

I see BOTH #7 and #8 were just put into "Service Disruption" status today. Another derailment--I hope not!!!!

I noticed the Service Disruption also. Not sure what caused this one though.

Speaking of oil terminals on the Hi-Line, in MT the plans for eastern MT include spending over 1/2 BILLION on oil field infrastructure by various energy firms in the next two to three years! Plus, my BNSF guy says he heard that another 4,000 tanker cars where recently ordered. BNSF should be building a double track line NOW!!

I keep on reminding my non-MT friends on the Forum that while these temps in ND-MT-MN are indeed very cold, they are something that people in this region do see on a fairly regular basis at least several times each winter. What is unusual perhaps is the very cold temps in the Chicago area.

As one who depends on the EB for at least 8 trips each year I would feel really bad if the EB service was suspended, but I understand. At least I have air service that I could use. There are thousands of current passengers on the Hi-Line who have no access to air service. Plus, traveling in the winter on the hi-line via highways is not something I would ever recommend to anyone.......

As a "data point" of sorts, my in-laws were set to take 27 from GFK to PDX, boarding yesterday morning. 7/27 was being detoured via New Rockford

due to the derailment mentioned upthread. Amtrak called and advised of a bustitution from GFK to Minot. Bus ride was uneventful, and train left

Minot about 3 hours late. Arrive PDX this morning about 70 minutes late, allowing them to catch a Thruway bus connection that Amtrak had warned

via a phone call a week ago that they were no longer "guaranteed" to catch.

Bottom line is they arrived their final destination (SLM) precisely on time and had an enjoyable trip. Two of them had never taken a train before so

I was a little hesitant to recommend the EB in January. But it worked out decently well. Which just goes to show that despite everything, the EB is not

a complete screw-up this winter.

Due to the blizzard conditions and cold east of Havre and west of St. Paul, 8(25) terminated in Havre while 7(26) terminated in St. Paul. I have not heard what, if anything, Amtrak did to accommodate the passengers ticketed beyond those stations on those trains.

Due to the blizzard conditions and cold east of Havre and west of St. Paul, 8(25) terminated in Havre while 7(26) terminated in St. Paul. I have not heard what, if anything, Amtrak did to accommodate the passengers ticketed beyond those stations on those trains.
Yikes! I understand Amtrak needing to bustitute people for short trips, but St. Paul-Chicago is 400 miles, and Havre-Portland is 800 miles! Personally, I would not get on a bus for a 12+ hour, 800 mile trip. Is there a limit on how far Amtrak can/will go for a bustitution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back