#5 (11) Held up by flooding in Colorado

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I will be boarding the train in Denver on Saturday morning...or so we hope! Am relived to hear that the train is still running and there are no more buses BUT at the same time I'm gutted that our dream honeymoon trip has suffered another knock back - I was so desperate for my husband to see the Rockies that we booked this train journey AND a balloon ride over Boulder which was totally cancelled due to the landing sites being lakes. I shall be keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else develops from here!

My husband and I will be boarding the train in Denver on Saturday morning...or so we hope! Am relived to hear that the train is still running and there are no more buses BUT at the same time I'm gutted that our dream honeymoon trip has suffered another knock back - I was so desperate for my husband to see the Rockies that we booked this train journey AND a balloon ride over Boulder which was totally cancelled due to the landing sites being lakes. I shall be keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else develops from here!
Hopefully ya'll will enjoy the Ride up to Wyoming and across Utah to Reno (most of Utah and Nevada will be in the Dark), then the Great Scenery through the Sierra Nevadas between Reno and Sacramento! Too bad about the Balloon Ride :( , I think the Scenery in the Bay Area will help make up for it (please Ride a Ferry while you're there!) Keep us Posted, for sure your Honeymoon is Memory Book stuff! ;)

Thanks to everyone here, we are from Australia and booked the CZ eight months ago Denver to SF looking forward to the CO Rockies. Reading all your posts has kept us informed, and I have to say I was impressed when I rang Amtrak today to enquire about next Wednesday's trip - no messing around - fast clear answers - it's a day to day proposition at the moment, but the plan is the Wyoming route ex Denver but we should check back 48 to 24 hrs ahead. Without asking I was also advised because of the disruptions a full refund was available if the new arrangements didn't suit us.

With all the great info here, we are now happy to go with the WY route (a natural disaster is just that and many folks have had their lives turned upside down) . If it changes to bus, or doesn't run the we know we can claim a refund and fly if we have to. Shame we'll miss the Rockies and Dave's depot at Grand Junction though!

Thanks to everyone here, we are from Australia and booked the CZ eight months ago Denver to SF looking forward to the CO Rockies. Reading all your posts has kept us informed, and I have to say I was impressed when I rang Amtrak today to enquire about next Wednesday's trip - no messing around - fast clear answers - it's a day to day proposition at the moment, but the plan is the Wyoming route ex Denver but we should check back 48 to 24 hrs ahead. Without asking I was also advised because of the disruptions a full refund was available if the new arrangements didn't suit us.

With all the great info here, we are now happy to go with the WY route (a natural disaster is just that and many folks have had their lives turned upside down) . If it changes to bus, or doesn't run the we know we can claim a refund and fly if we have to. Shame we'll miss the Rockies and Dave's depot at Grand Junction though!
You have a great attitude. This is a natural disaster and your thoughts are with the people directly affected by it--the people who live in the area, Dave in Grand Junction, etc. Thanks for not being angry about possible changes to your vacation!
Our first Amtrak trip was detoured through the Wyoming route. We loved every moment of it. While not as dramatic as the Colorado route, the open plains, the wide expanses, the wooden snow fences, the deer and the antelope roaming (now that song is stuck in my head!), made a huge and positive impression on us. Sit back and enjoy a sight that few get to see these days.

The Overland Route is very pretty, but don't expect the same, in your face, dramatic scenery as the regular route. Lots of distant mountain views - while the deer and the antelope play near the train. Still, a very nice ride and MUCH, MUCH better than a bustitution.

We await your trip reports!
Except across the Wasatch through the Weber and Echo Canyons in Utah, where the mountains are not that distant. :)
When I took it in 1974 I was disappointed in it. Its not nearly as dramatic as the old DRG&W.
Unless you are on a "once-in-a lifetime" trip across the US, perhaps coming from overseas, etc., I consider riding any rare mileage detour a blessing....you get to see what few do, and of course, you always can go back anytime to see the regular route in the future.

The transcontinental railway offers many scenic vista's, as mentioned. And it is steeped in history. Passing thru towns like Laramie, Medicine Bow, Rawlins, Rock Springs, Green River, Fort Bridger, Evanston, and Ogden........climbing Sherman Hill and its tunnels, meeting endless freight trains at unbelievable frequencies, plenty to see!

Unless you are on a "once-in-a lifetime" trip across the US, perhaps coming from overseas, etc., I consider riding any rare mileage detour a blessing....you get to see what few do, and of course, you always can go back anytime to see the regular route in the future.

The transcontinental railway offers many scenic vista's, as mentioned. And it is steeped in history. Passing thru towns like Laramie, Medicine Bow, Rawlins, Rock Springs, Green River, Fort Bridger, Evanston, and Ogden........climbing Sherman Hill and its tunnels, meeting endless freight trains at unbelievable frequencies, plenty to see!
I agree completely. I love the old transcon through Wyoming. Whenever I go for work to Fort Collins, I usually tack on a weekend day or two to drive up to the old transcon for railfanning around Sherman Hill. You want to see top quality triple track action on top quality, well maintained smooth track? that is where you go. Laramie is my favorite hangout place on those random weekend trips.

I agree completely. I love the old transcon through Wyoming. Whenever I go for work to Fort Collins, I usually tack on a weekend day or two to drive up to the old transcon for railfanning around Sherman Hill. You want to see top quality triple track action on top quality, well maintained smooth track? that is where you go. Laramie is my favorite hangout place on those random weekend trips.
Is UP still running old steam loco #8444 for the excursion trips around the time of Cheyenne Frontier Days?

I've been in that engine and the passenger cars, but only during the exhibit when it's parked in Cheyenne. Tickets for the ride went mostly to news people and the rich and powerful of Cheyenne and Denver and UP.

Sherman Hill was a favored point for us common folk to watch those special trains. You can see the black smoke up in the sky way before the train flies on by your location. Around two decades ago, my spouse nearly got run over when the oversized pickup of some eager tourist busted right through a crossing barrier on the cattle guard, all to see that steam engine.

I doubt many who stop by here for information on what is going on with 5&6 foam like some here do. If folks are expecting the same scenery as they get going through the mountains in Colorado they are going to be disappointed. Its better to lower expectatioons and then have those expectations exceeded. Gosh, I guess when I was fourteen I wasn't a 'true' foamer :eek: ...when it came to trains. I had other things on my mind. :giggle:

We are on the 5 currently at the Denver station. We are the first train to use the Wyoming detour today so I am excited about that as I've been through the normal route several times. They are bussing anyone who's destinations are between Denver and Salt Lake City. For anyone going between grand junction and Denver you get bussed from Denver. Any stops between grand junction and Salt Lake City get bussed from SLC. We are going to emeryville so being able to stay on the train and not do a bus bridge is fantastic!

I doubt many who stop by here for information on what is going on with 5&6 foam like some here do. If folks are expecting the same scenery as they get going through the mountains in Colorado they are going to be disappointed.
You make a good point, Davy.

Some of the riders may live around Denver or Salt Lake where they get to experience mountains daily. I'd think that for such people, they might appreciate the understated beauty of the high-plains and desert of Wyoming as something different from their daily scenery of the Colorado Rockies or the Wasatch front.

Every time I've been on the CZ, I've met someone from Down Under. My guess is that some of the Aussies riding the Wyo route will be amazed to see America's version of the outback. They'll really love it if they get to see working cowboys riding near the tracks [not unusual in my experience of the 1990s]. The trip will not be what was expected when they signed up for the CZ, but the riders still see an awesome part of North America.

If it takes the Wyoming detour then coming into Denver from the east you will see the front range on your right, and departing towards Cheyenne (Borie) you will see it on your left. AFAIR through Weber and Echo Canyons across the Wasatch in one of them left side is better and in the other the right side is better. Across the Continental Divide, side does not matter much.

From Ogden to Salt Lake City, the spectacular Wasatch Range will be on your left.

Does anyone know how close it comes to Ogden's old train depot when going this way? There's a cool train museum there that includes one of those UP giant turbine GTEL engines. Obviously there'd be no time to get out and play on the trains since Ogden isn't a stop, but for train nerds it could be fun to stop in Salt Lake and then ride our commuter rail FrontRunner service up to Ogden to see those.

I'm so happy to see that the bus detour is over with! I leaving Sunday for Chicago and am now feeling more at ease about the trip. This is the first time I'm making it solo, so I was getting freaked out at having to switch back and forth between buses and trains.

I am considering myself lucky to take the other route on the train now, since others have mentioned it is beautiful too.
Actually, the DEN-GJT bustiture was a shortcut, not a detour. The train right now is detouring through Wyoming. You will enjoy seeing Wyoming, very few rail passengers still get to see Wyoming. I've never ridden the Wyoming rail route, but I know what it looks like because I've done a very similar route on my, um, avatar.
Swadian, if you have time you ought to book a trip to Denver sometime in the next 2-4 weeks. You'll be able to get the rail mileage through Wyoming after all.

My honeymoon was supposed to feature the train from Seattle all the way to LA. The Thursday before our wedding in January 2005, Amtrak called and apologized that the tracks had been hit by a mudslide. They could put us on buses and other trains, or we could be refunded for a portion of the trip. We chose to get off in Sacramento and rented a car. The dining car attendant gave us the heads up to rent our car and drive and don't dawdle...which was excellent advice as we hit the lull in LA traffic. It was a fantastic drive.

I'd like to think rough honeymoon equals happy marriage. :)

Is UP still running old steam loco #8444 for the excursion trips around the time of Cheyenne Frontier Days?

I've been in that engine and the passenger cars, but only during the exhibit when it's parked in Cheyenne. Tickets for the ride went mostly to news people and the rich and powerful of Cheyenne and Denver and UP.

Sherman Hill was a favored point for us common folk to watch those special trains. You can see the black smoke up in the sky way before the train flies on by your location. Around two decades ago, my spouse nearly got run over when the oversized pickup of some eager tourist busted right through a crossing barrier on the cattle guard, all to see that steam engine.
The Denver Post still runs a train during Frontier Days. http://cfdtrain.com/CFDTrain/Information.html

Yes, they are. Although it has long been renumbered to its original number 844:

Last edited by a moderator:
If it takes the Wyoming detour then coming into Denver from the east you will see the front range on your right, and departing towards Cheyenne (Borie) you will see it on your left. AFAIR through Weber and Echo Canyons across the Wasatch in one of them left side is better and in the other the right side is better. Across the Continental Divide, side does not matter much.

From Ogden to Salt Lake City, the spectacular Wasatch Range will be on your left.
Does anyone know how close it comes to Ogden's old train depot when going this way? There's a cool train museum there that includes one of those UP giant turbine GTEL engines. Obviously there'd be no time to get out and play on the trains since Ogden isn't a stop, but for train nerds it could be fun to stop in Salt Lake and then ride our commuter rail FrontRunner service up to Ogden to see those.
Normally a CZ on detour will not go anywhere near the classic Ogden Station. It will take the bypass leg of the Wye after it comes out of the Wasatch and hang a sharp left towards Salt lake City.

There is an official Press Release for the detour, added at some point today, it refers to early October and further notice.

If only I still lived in Colorado, guess you could do it in one very long weekend without any real sleep DEN to SLC (for 3 hours if things are on time in the wee hours of the morning) and back to DEN. That would be me!

We are currently westbound on train 5 and I can confirm there are no smoke stops between Denver and Salt Lake City. I'm not a smoker, but if you are that's about 13 hours between breaks. The scenery in Wyoming is more plains, but there are a lot of antelope! Still better than the bus bridge. We left Denver about 9:45 am and are currently near Rock Springs, WY. We're told we will be in SLC about 10:30 pm.

We are currently westbound on train 5 and I can confirm there are no smoke stops between Denver and Salt Lake City. I'm not a smoker, but if you are that's about 13 hours between breaks. The scenery in Wyoming is more plains, but there are a lot of antelope! Still better than the bus bridge. We left Denver about 9:45 am and are currently near Rock Springs, WY. We're told we will be in SLC about 10:30 pm.
Thanks for the report! :hi: Keep us posted!

Looks like youll have an Hour in SLC if #5 Arives @10:30PM! Theres Nothing around the Station but you can Stretch your Legs and get some Mounbtain Air! Glad the Antelope are still in Wyoming, they are disappearing Fast on the Sunset Route, used to be Millions of them! :( Get ready for the Sierra Nevada Scenery between Reno and Sacramento, especilly the Donner Pass/Lake to Truckee part of the Route! I personaly think its better than the Glennwoood Canyon Scenery!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Overland Route is very pretty, but don't expect the same, in your face, dramatic scenery as the regular route. Lots of distant mountain views - while the deer and the antelope play near the train. Still, a very nice ride and MUCH, MUCH better than a bustitution.

We await your trip reports!
Except across the Wasatch through the Weber and Echo Canyons in Utah, where the mountains are not that distant. :)
When I took it in 1974 I was disappointed in it. Its not nearly as dramatic as the old DRG&W.

I do agree, I've taken the regular CZ route a lot, so I really want to ride through Wyoming now. You said before that you used to have ridden every passenger train in the US, back in the 1970s, so I bet you've ridden the regular route many times as well. I know Wyomin's desolate, but I've never seen it from a train.

I doubt many who stop by here for information on what is going on with 5&6 foam like some here do. If folks are expecting the same scenery as they get going through the mountains in Colorado they are going to be disappointed. Its better to lower expectatioons and then have those expectations exceeded. Gosh, I guess when I was fourteen I wasn't a 'true' foamer :eek: ...when it came to trains. I had other things on my mind. :giggle:
Not much guests hanging around here right now. We have 3 users and 1 guest. The users are probably interested int he detour, whether for rare mileage, rare scenery, a historical ride, or what else.

I doubt many who stop by here for information on what is going on with 5&6 foam like some here do. If folks are expecting the same scenery as they get going through the mountains in Colorado they are going to be disappointed.
You make a good point, Davy.

Some of the riders may live around Denver or Salt Lake where they get to experience mountains daily. I'd think that for such people, they might appreciate the understated beauty of the high-plains and desert of Wyoming as something different from their daily scenery of the Colorado Rockies or the Wasatch front.

Every time I've been on the CZ, I've met someone from Down Under. My guess is that some of the Aussies riding the Wyo route will be amazed to see America's version of the outback. They'll really love it if they get to see working cowboys riding near the tracks [not unusual in my experience of the 1990s]. The trip will not be what was expected when they signed up for the CZ, but the riders still see an awesome part of North America.
I used to live in Denver. That's why I'm always not that excited to ride the CZ's regular route. Now I live near RNO, so I'm pretty much staring at the Sierras all day. That's why the CZ has really lost it's allure to me except hearing its horn every day. I'd rather ride the SWC again before Raton gets cut.

I'm so happy to see that the bus detour is over with! I leaving Sunday for Chicago and am now feeling more at ease about the trip. This is the first time I'm making it solo, so I was getting freaked out at having to switch back and forth between buses and trains.

I am considering myself lucky to take the other route on the train now, since others have mentioned it is beautiful too.
Actually, the DEN-GJT bustiture was a shortcut, not a detour. The train right now is detouring through Wyoming. You will enjoy seeing Wyoming, very few rail passengers still get to see Wyoming. I've never ridden the Wyoming rail route, but I know what it looks like because I've done a very similar route on my, um, avatar.
Swadian, if you have time you ought to book a trip to Denver sometime in the next 2-4 weeks. You'll be able to get the rail mileage through Wyoming after all.
Sorry, no can do. I just came here from DEN in June and I don't have that much time or money available. I'm trying to save moeny for my international trip next year. So another missed oppurtunity. Man, every time the CZ detours, I can't do it for one reason or another! Oh well.

Wait, hey, the 5 (19) was just reported at GSC! What's going on? It didn't stop anywhere DEN-GSC. Is the bus bridge back again or is the Moffat line repaired?

Wait, hey, the 5 (19) was just reported at GSC! What's going on? It didn't stop anywhere DEN-GSC. Is the bus bridge back again or is the Moffat line repaired?
:eek: Yeah, I noticed that too on the Status Maps! I know UP does Fast Track Work But not this Fast! ;) (when it affects their Freights!)

Would Amtrak Track Bustitutions or is this just a Computer Glitch??? :help:

I'm on the #5 and I can tell you we went nowhere near GSC!!! It is cool riding such a historic route as this detour. I've also never seen so many freight trains as I have on this detour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back