Next 30% Points Sale?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahZ

Quality Control
My apologies if this has been asked already.

Does anyone know when AGR usually has another 30% points sale? I missed the two sales earlier this year, and I'm hoping to book travel on the SWC in the next couple of months. We managed to get a roomette at low-bucket, but I'm holding out on the return trip, as I'd like to buy us enough points to treat my boyfriend to a bedroom.

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth..........I too missed the last 2 sales and was about to post the same question. How does one track the "buy points" promotion other than signing into the Amtrak Guest Rewards account on a weekly basis?

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth..........I too missed the last 2 sales and was about to post the same question. How does one track the "buy points" promotion other than signing into the Amtrak Guest Rewards account on a weekly basis?
I receive e-mails from AGR &, of course, here at AU!

I've always seen announcements on this forum. I want to say I got an email last time, but I can't be sure. I could be remembering incorrectly.

Normally, I would purchase the reservation now to lock it and then switch to points if there's a points sale, but I don't feel like maxing out my credit card. I have to pay tuition. Tuition > train.

Thanks, I guess I need to go and change my email notification settings on the Amtrak guest reward site......I do get emails about special travel promotions but I don't recall receiving any emails about "buy points" promotions......I'll go check it out and make the necessary changes.......thanks....... :p

Special offer just for you: 50% more points
Now you can reach rewards, like free Amtrak® travel, even faster. Buy Amtrak Guest Rewards points between July 15th and July 31st, 2013 and automatically receive a 50% bonus on the number of points purchased.

Isn't there one going on right now? Or is it targeted?

This is what I see on the buy points page, and I just bought 15 000 points for $275 USD.

It must be targeted. I just logged in and went to the "Buy Points" page, and it's showing the regular prices.

I will be sure to keep checking in the fall and I will try not to miss the next one......I need to log in here more often too because ya'll are a wealth of information..... :)

I believe that the 30% bonus points sale is going on right now but someone please tell me why $275.00 for 13,000 points is a good buy? That comes out to .021 per point or a bit over 2 cents. They would have to reinstate the 50% bonus for me to consider buying points. The only reason that I can see buying points is for filling in where you are missing some to book a trip. What am I missing here?

I believe that the 30% bonus points sale is going on right now but someone please tell me why $275.00 for 13,000 points is a good buy? That comes out to .021 per point or a bit over 2 cents. They would have to reinstate the 50% bonus for me to consider buying points. The only reason that I can see buying points is for filling in where you are missing some to book a trip. What am I missing here?
You nailed one of the chief reasons. In our case, a roomette to Albuquerque will cost nearly $600 one way. If I buy 13,000 points, I can use those plus the 2000 points already in my account to get our roomette. I've just saved nearly $325.

Then my boyfriend buys 13,000 for his account, and we save another $450-ish for the return trip, which is higher-bucket than the outbound trip.

Points sales are awesome. :)

Ive done AGR Redemptions where the Point Value was as High as 10 cents a Point which is an Excellent Deal! (Example, 2 Zone AGR Roomette Redemption from AUS-CHI-WAS-MIA for 2 Persons, 19,000 Points (I have the AGR MC so get a 5% Rebate). Full Rail Fare and Roomette for 2 on a Paid Trip= $2275!!!!

Since i use my Card for Everything I can including money I have to spend anyway (ie Rent, Bills, Gas, Food etc.) my Total Cost for this Trip would work out to the $275 that the 13,000 Points Cost which is better than a 8-1 Return! :)

Clear????

Based on JimHudson and SarahZ's comments Yes I can understand why points can be a good deal but not on every trip. Here is our most recent redemption.

June 2014 PHL to CHI and CHI to SEA and back.

Price for this 3 zone trip in a bedroom is $4370 according to the AGR clerk. The trip cost 120,000 points.

Now lets do the math.

$4370/120,000= .0364.

If you buy points at 30% bonus you'll get 13,000 for $275.00 or .0211 per point.

Using all purchased points (if it were possible) the trip would cost $2532. Good deal!

Now lets take this years trip on the CL from HFY to CHI and back. The 2 zone trip cost (bedroom both ways) was $780. That's a two zone trip that would cost 80,000 AGR points. At .0211 that comes out to $1692.30 This would also apply on the 1 zone A/T trip. That's a bad deal.

I guess it all depends on the bucket fare, the grade of accommodation desired and the train. I might use points to make up a shortage when booking on an expensive route but have chosen to hold out until that time.

The one nice thing about purchasing points, is it is like a savings account. For our trip to NOL, if we didn't have the points, we probably wouldn't be going on the trip. So as long as you get value out of your points that you put in, you are better off.

I neglected to mention that purchased points do work out (most of the time) being a good deal on roomettes. In our case we are two reasonably tall people. The wife 6' and me 5'11". Roomettes just don't offer the legroom around the table, so we bite the bullet and opt for the luxurious bedrooms-LOL.

If I may resurrect this topic........does anybody have an idea when the next 30% match deal might be?

Have they already done the second round this year? I haven't gotten an email from AGR. I think the second round last year was around November-December or so.

In 2011, the last point sale was in December - I remember because that's the first time I bought points so I could treat my daughter to a CS/EB roomette from Emeryville in the summer that would have been out of our budget to pay outright for (~ $1400 at the time I was looking to book).

Have they already done the second round this year? I haven't gotten an email from AGR. I think the second round last year was around November-December or so.
Yes, they did the second round already. Ended back on September 30th IIRC.

The last 2 years did see a 3rd sale in December. But I have no idea if that will happen again this year or not.

Back