What does your Forum User Name mean?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diecastaussie:

Well firstly I'm from Australia; secondly, I have collected die cast model cars for about 35 years, don't have any model trains though - yet!..

Started using this name on a model car forum about 15 years ago and now use it for everything as I can't be bothered trying to remember lots of different sign in names.

Booked our first Amtrak journey from Los Angeles to New York in March next year - 161 days to go I think - but I'm not really counting :rolleyes:

Have traveled on several Australian intercity trains and really love the German ICE trains, can't wait to see how Amtrak measures up.

Garry :lol:

What train are you taking? Have you taken the Ghan? How was that?
G'Day Swadian Hardcore,

We will be taking the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Oakland (San Francisco), The California Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago, the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington and the North East Regional from Washington to New York.

Haven't traveled on the Ghan which crosses Australia north to south or the Indian Pacific which crosses east to west simply because they are too expensive. The Ghan is a 2 day journey and costs a whopping AUD$2100.00 for a sleeper the Indian Pacific is no better costing virtually the same for the 3 day journey.

Will be able to tell you more about the Ghan next week as my father is on it at the moment - boarded in Darwin this morning and will arrive in Adelaide on Friday morning.

G'Day Swadian Hardcore,

We will be taking the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Oakland (San Francisco), The California Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago, the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington and the North East Regional from Washington to New York.

Haven't traveled on the Ghan which crosses Australia north to south or the Indian Pacific which crosses east to west simply because they are too expensive. The Ghan is a 2 day journey and costs a whopping AUD$2100.00 for a sleeper the Indian Pacific is no better costing virtually the same for the 3 day journey.

Will be able to tell you more about the Ghan next week as my father is on it at the moment - boarded in Darwin this morning and will arrive in Adelaide on Friday morning.

I agree, it's too expensive for me as well. Personally I would have taken the SWC or SL/TE from LAX to CHI.

G'Day Swadian Hardcore,

I agree, it's too expensive for me as well. Personally I would have taken the SWC or SL/TE from LAX to CHI.
G'Day Swadian Hardcore, looked at both of those routes but my wife insisted that we had to visit San Francisco on the way.

G'Day Swadian Hardcore,

G'Day Swadian Hardcore, looked at both of those routes but my wife insisted that we had to visit San Francisco on the way.

Smart wife.
biggrin.gif

The choice you guys made is absolutely the right one. The Pacific Coast and the Mountain West are SO much better represented on those routes. I would not exactly recommend the SL/TE as the preferable option when it comes to touring/vacationing in the US from abroad - sorry Texas, I'd rather be in the Rockies.

G'Day Swadian Hardcore,

Smart wife.
biggrin.gif

The choice you guys made is absolutely the right one. The Pacific Coast and the Mountain West are SO much better represented on those routes. I would not exactly recommend the SL/TE as the preferable option when it comes to touring/vacationing in the US from abroad - sorry Texas, I'd rather be in the Rockies.
I strongly disagree. I find the CZ extremly disappointing as far as scenery. I much prefer the Southwest or Big Sky Country.

Smart wife.
biggrin.gif

I strongly disagree. I find the CZ extremly disappointing as far as scenery. I much prefer the Southwest or Big Sky Country.
I would say ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?! but knowing you, I'm honestly not that surprised

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart wife.
biggrin.gif

I would say ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?! but knowing you, I'm honestly not that surprised
No, I'm not kidding, and I've taken these trains so I know what I like.

I didn't say you didn't know what you're talking about because you haven't ridden the trains - in a much nicer way, I mean that your opinion is likely in the minority when it comes to choosing either a) seeing the Pacific Coast on the CS, touring San Francisco, and then riding across both the Sierras, desert environments (eastern Utah) and then the Rockies all in daylight or b) see some desert, Raton Pass, and then a couple farms

I didn't say you didn't know what you're talking about because you haven't ridden the trains - in a much nicer way, I mean that your opinion is likely in the minority when it comes to choosing either a) seeing the Pacific Coast on the CS, touring San Francisco, and then riding across both the Sierras, desert environments (eastern Utah) and then the Rockies all in daylight or b) see some desert, Raton Pass, and then a couple farms
Yeah, yeah, I know, I was just saying. Sorry if you took offence.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I was just saying. Sorry if you took offence.
No offense taken whatsoever. If anything, I am sorry. I am simply saying that for a foreign tourist, the choice they made really is a better one when it comes to experiencing the west has to offer. I believe that there is a greater range of diversity in landscapes and culture on the route chosen by diecastaussie and his wife.

Engine58 is from my account on CruiseCritic. Its a referall to the boat company that is part of our department. My name was origianlly 'Next stop? Hoboken!' which was an homage to my father who introduced me to the rails via a fear of flight, which I have inherited.

The 'SAN' in SANSR represents the starting initials of my first, middle and last name; as I named my son for myself, the trailing 'SR' represents 'senior.' Not elegant, nor prolific in any way, shape, or form, but it is easy to remember and works for me!

(Sorry if this is a duplicate post-got kicked off in the middle of my first one)

My forum name is because I'm known as 'Jackie's Mom' to the SWC crew on the LAX-ABQ run.

I guess now it'll change to 'little Stevie's grandma' since his daddy Stevie will be going from being an AC on the ABQ-LAJ run to being an Engineer (he starts school in WIL in a week).

OK...what does my forum name mean? It goes back to my youth. Before I joined the Air Force, I had hair, a pretty good head of bushy, kinky hair.

Then I reveived my Basic Training haircut...well, it grew back, but just not the same as it was when I enlisted. It grew back fairly normal and straight.

When I was young, I was "given" the nickname "Brillo". I liked it, I thought it was kind of unique, so that's what my friends call me to this day. When I made my first email address, I went with Dabrilloman and that is what I use for some of my online ID's. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I moved to Palm Desert California back in the 80's and was hanging out with my girlfriend and 3 other couples and we realized I was the only Reagan supporter in the bunch. They gave me a bit of grief about it and I was not having any of it, so I told them, "Look, every liberal needs a tough conservative to keep him in line. Look at Jimmy Carter, he had Zivniew, Zivien.. You know, the Bndzrski guy!" All of us remembered the guy but not one of us could remember Zbigniew Brzezinski's real name, which might have been because of the beer we had imbibed, but I ended up being know as Ziv Bndzrski and the nick name stuck.

lo2e = "Lesser of 2 Evils" - because I have an older brother! :giggle: :p :ph34r:

Amtksstn is the name of my user name in honer of my first amtrak trip in 1986 out of Newton Kansas, my home station.

My real Name is Dave W. aka the_traveler, but they were already taken, so I took the handle of jimhudson in Honor of a Famous Guy that is a Legend in his Own Mind! <_<

My user name is a pseudonym, based on my father's first name. My father is one of the best friends I will ever have in my life, so I thought it only fitting to make an online name based on his. Online I am known as nora_roan. My father's first name is "Roan" and I rearranged the letters to form the female name "Nora" So therefore, I am known as Nora Roan. But my real name (first and middle) is Karen Jane, (I never reveal my last name). Anyway, Karen Jane is what I go by in real life. But Nora Roan suits me fine online, I like it. Feel free to call me Nora, I answer to it just as quickly as I answer to Karen Jane. :p

Latest posts

Back