Sleeper/Observation car question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan O

Conductor
I will be going to Chicago from Southern California in a roomette in 7+ weeks. I have taken the same trip in coach about 5 years ago. I was wondering how one gets from the sleeper car to the lounge car when the dining car is in between. With coach, it was just walk through a few coach cars and there we were in the lounge car. Is it possible to come and go the other way to one's sleeper car, especially when the diner is being used?

Thanks,

Dan

Absolutely....I usually make several round tips through the whole train to get some exercise....but be sure and have your ticket with you.and probably some form of ID...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just nod and walk through the dining car when I want to access the lounge -- but I am usually not doing that during meals, as I will be eating in the diner during some or most of that time. You do know, don't you, that meals in the diner are included with your ticket for sleeper accommodations? Sleepers are considered "first class" accommodations. You'll receive everything at the meal including "extras" like breakfast meat, dessert, beverages, etc. The only thing that is not complimentary is alcoholic beverages.

Just bring your ticket with you, as you'll need to sign for the meal with your car and room number (and referring to the ticket is the easiest way to get that). They'll pretty much be able to tell that you are a sleeper passenger by the direction you enter the diner from, but you will *need* that ticket if it's your first time in the diner and you enter form the lounge car direction. After that, there's a good chance they'll remember you, ha, ha! They are good at knowing their passengers.

There is no problem passing thru the Dining Car to get to the Lounge Car. Just remember that during meal times, servers are walking around with trays full of hot food. That is why I try not to transit thru the Dining Car during meals! :excl:

I may come from my room, enter the Dining Car for my meal then go to the Lounge Car. Unless necessary, I do not return to my room until after meal time is finished. If I need to use the rest room (for example), I'll use one in one of the coaches!

The only portion of the diner that gets locked down is the kitchen area (which passengers should never be in regardless). On the west coast where the OP is the kitchen is downstairs, so this is a non-issue since the kitchen is invisible to most passengers. On the single level diners a series of doors or gates are used, but passage is possible on the aisle parallel to the kitchen. Depending on the route the OP is using the lounge could be very attractive, such as on the CZ through Donner Pass and the Rockies. Don't be afraid to pass through, just be courteous and all will be just fine.

However, if you are an ex-Navy Seal with a second job as a cook, you probably can enter the locked down area of the diner on the lower level, since no one can beat you in the kitchen.

Just remember commerical kitchen courtesy 101. Since you have to pass through the servers area in the middle of the car, if going through when there is alot of activity in that area, just a courtious "behind you" to alert that you are behind them so you don't end up doing the booty bump. Pardon me and excuse me is also nice too.

And if you really want to show some courtesy, take off your hat as you pass through the dining car, as do all of the Amtrak conductors and assistant conductors when they pass through the dining car when meals are being served.

And if you really want to show some courtesy, take off your hat as you pass through the dining car, as do all of the Amtrak conductors and assistant conductors when they pass through the dining car when meals are being served.
That's interesting. I never noticed that.

Thanx

I have never witnessed that, even once. I'm sure it was considered courteous back in the day. But, seems likely that it would create hair flying onto my food if removed while walking through the diner.

For those who wear ball caps all the time, it's also considered courteous to remove them (or leave in the room) when dining in the dining car, or any sit down restaurant for that matter.
Maybe in 1955. I see men wearing ball caps in Denny's style establishments and the Diner car all the time these days. It's likely less objectionable than if they were to take it off and display their 'bed head'.

I have never witnessed that, even once. I'm sure it was considered courteous back in the day. But, seems likely that it would create hair flying onto my food if removed while walking through the diner.
I have seen that many times in my recent trips! :)

I've noticed it but didn't know it was a rule . And although I am one of the ballcap wearing guys, I always take it off and comb my hair before going to the diner, whether riding coach or sleeper. I guess it's an age and upbringing thing - but probably not genetic. :)

I traditionally wear a Red Beret when riding and because I have Long Hair will leave it on in the Diner simply so tablemates do not worry about a Longhair possibly shedding on the table or on their food :)

I believe it is in the Employee regulations for conductors to remove their hats in the Dining Car. I don't have it with me but if anyone has the citation I believe it is in there.
You're correct, it's in the Blue Book.
Page 5-14 of the 2011 version:

Hats that are required, must be worn when in uniform. (When entering the Dining Car, hats must be removed and carried under the arm as a matter of common civility.)

Same in Japan...

I've also seen the drivers both silent in signal observation and extremely vocal.

Interestingly in Japan, when it's hot in the summer, there is actually a placard on busses and in taxis that show a bowing driver with the apology "We are sorry for not wearing our hats and gloves during this high temperature time."

Last edited by a moderator:
Little Known CONO Blue Book Employee Regulation

Pants that are required, must be worn when in uniform. (When entering the Dining Car, pants must be removed and carried under the arm as a matter of passenger entertainment.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back