Trouble at NOLUS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When someone uses the free wifi in a hotel lobby, calling them a moocher reveals an attitude.
Oh sorry, that was me. Sorry about my attitude. I'll amend my comment to "the person who spent nearly 6 hours in a hotel lobby using a service

intended for paying customers." I suppose you support coach passengers walking into sleeping cars and helping themselves to the amenities?

In 2012 no one is fool enough to explicitly say a story is fishy because of the teller's skin color. People who feel that way and would say it, if they didn't fear the approbation, reveal themselves in other ways. I think we have seen more than a bit of that tonight.
We don't know the OP's skin color, actually. We only know that the OP feels more comfortable in the presence of white people. Talk about "revealing" oneself.

And to those who say the OP's fears of being outside the train station were justified, feel free to take a look at this map, which shows that in the period from

July 1 through today, not a single crime was reported at the New Orleans train station. There was a "theft" about a block away back in July, which by the way

took place at 10:37 in the morning. But don't let facts get in the way of your fear-driven narrative.

When someone uses the free wifi in a hotel lobby, calling them a moocher reveals an attitude.
Oh sorry, that was me. Sorry about my attitude. I'll amend my comment to "the person who spent nearly 6 hours in a hotel lobby using a service

intended for paying customers." I suppose you support coach passengers walking into sleeping cars and helping themselves to the amenities?

In 2012 no one is fool enough to explicitly say a story is fishy because of the teller's skin color. People who feel that way and would say it, if they didn't fear the approbation, reveal themselves in other ways. I think we have seen more than a bit of that tonight.
We don't know the OP's skin color, actually. We only know that the OP feels more comfortable in the presence of white people. Talk about "revealing" oneself.

And to those who say the OP's fears of being outside the train station were justified, feel free to take a look at this map, which shows that in the period from

July 1 through today, not a single crime was reported at the New Orleans train station. There was a "theft" about a block away back in July, which by the way

took place at 10:37 in the morning. But don't let facts get in the way of your fear-driven narrative.
Actually, the theft/larceny took place in the "1000 Block of Loyola Avenue". The Amtrak station is at 1001 Loyola Ave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the theft/larceny took place in the "1000 Block of Loyola Avenue". The Amtrak station is at 1001 Loyola Ave.
The station sits well off the street. Presumably the OP was not being asked to leave the property, simply to wait outside

the building. At any rate, "theft/larceny" is a non-violent crime that in this case could simply have been a vehicle break-in,

a type of crime that takes place in every single neighborhood of every single city across the country.

Wow. How the people of this site can continuosly propogate a Guest post (not just this one, but so may) into a multi-page thread is a fascinating study in sociology.....In most instances:

1. no one is really clear on WHAT the OP really meant

2. Someone will explain what they meant-

3. Someone will counter with "what part of XXXXXXXX makes you think that? Clearly......"

4. Someone will blame the Republicans

5. Someone will ask about a "what if though, the train was actually the old route and went through XYZ, would this still have occured"

6. Someone will invariably make a statement about using a service that's not paid for (bottled water, internet, etc etc etc)

7. Someone will counter with "if it's ok to use WIFI without being a paying guest I suppose it's ok to walk into a bank, shoot the teller and take all the money out right?"

8. Someone will counter the counter with a seemingly logical argument that really doesn't have a thing to do with the post, like "is it ok to use the bathroom at a gas station if you don't buy something? how about if I bought gas there every week for 3 years, don't they owe me 3 years worth of bathroom?"

9. Someone will ask what time the diner opens.

10. Someone will respond that they don't know EXACTLY when the diner opens, but it's usally late, and the meatloaf is horible.

11. Someone will assuredly like the meatloaf disparaged in the previous post.

12. The Guest OP will not come back and read the comments, because he found his way here by accident anyway, and thought he was talking to Amtrak Cust. Service

13. Someone will post that this is NOT Amtrak Customer Service, but you should really call them.

14. Someone will ask "what part of XXXXXXX makes you think he thinks this is Amtrak?

15. Someone will ask who his SCA was arriving NOL

16. Someone will ask was he in sleeper or coach?

17. SOmeone will ask why sleepers are so high, and when are the new ones coming?

18 Someone will reply with a political post about whether it was the left, or the right who hates amtrak more. (in and of itself a binary circle of a conversation)

19. Someone will feel the need to expound on the politics theme by thinking they're being very clever using a term "T-bag, T-Pub" etc. (it was cute 4 years ago-It's a little stale now....)

20. Someone will state that it's not Amtrak's fault, what did you expect?

and, around that point, I stop going back any further in the pages.....Seriously, this forum is a whole lot like Seinfeld-A site about NOTHING! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice to the OP would be this.

If arriving by Amtrak into New Orleans, to take a cab to the Holiday Inn-Superdome location *right down the street*

A cab to get there will cost you 10 dollars.

The hotel is quite comfortable, and has a restaurant within it for food, and Wifi.

They can call a cab for you in the morning to get back to NOUPT. This will again cost you 10 dollars. Cabs have a flat rate within the Central Business District of New Orleans.

Being that I dont drive, I found this to be the easiest way to be close to Amtrak and still get everything I need, food included. So for an out of country traveler, this would be an easy way to be comfortable and still have access to the things you need as well.

This hotel is sorta my go to spot when I hit New Orleans. Easy, convenient, and still within close range to Amtrak.

Ant

Wow. How the people of this site can continuosly propogate a Guest post (not just this one, but so may) into a multi-page thread is a fascinating study in sociology.....In most instances:

1. no one is really clear on WHAT the OP really meant

2. Someone will explain what they meant-

3. Someone will counter with "what part of XXXXXXXX makes you think that? Clearly......"

4. Someone will blame the Republicans

5. Someone will ask about a "what if though, the train was actually the old route and went through XYZ, would this still have occured"

6. Someone will invariably make a statement about using a service that's not paid for (bottled water, internet, etc etc etc)

7. Someone will counter with "if it's ok to use WIFI without being a paying guest I suppose it's ok to walk into a bank, shoot the teller and take all the money out right?"

8. Someone will counter the counter with a seemingly logical argument that really doesn't have a thing to do with the post, like "is it ok to use the bathroom at a gas station if you don't buy something? how about if I bought gas there every week for 3 years, don't they owe me 3 years worth of bathroom?"

9. Someone will ask what time the diner opens.

10. Someone will respond that they don't know EXACTLY when the diner opens, but it's usally late, and the meatloaf is horible.

11. Someone will assuredly like the meatloaf disparaged in the previous post.

12. The Guest OP will not come back and read the comments, because he found his way here by accident anyway, and thought he was talking to Amtrak Cust. Service

13. Someone will post that this is NOT Amtrak Customer Service, but you should really call them.

14. Someone will ask "what part of XXXXXXX makes you think he thinks this is Amtrak?

15. Someone will ask who his SCA was arriving NOL

16. Someone will ask was he in sleeper or coach?

17. SOmeone will ask why sleepers are so high, and when are the new ones coming?

18 Someone will reply with a political post about whether it was the left, or the right who hates amtrak more. (in and of itself a binary circle of a conversation)

19. Someone will feel the need to expound on the politics theme by thinking they're being very clever using a term "T-bag, T-Pub" etc. (it was cute 4 years ago-It's a little stale now....)

20. Someone will state that it's not Amtrak's fault, what did you expect?

and, around that point, I stop going back any further in the pages.....Seriously, this forum is a whole lot like Seinfeld-A site about NOTHING! :lol:
LOL

Hi,

Seems like another all too common case of one employee saying one thing, another saying something else... not exactly a rare event on Amtrak.

If I was informed that I could leave the station and be re-admitted on production of my ticket, I would be astonished to be kept outside while others were admitted within! As a visitor, if I am denied safe haven by someone that I feel is behaving with a racist agenda, and afraid of being robbed or shot, I might well call the police myself.

I have no hope of changing anyones outlook on AU, I just feel sad that travel does not always "broaden the mind".

Ed :cool:

Interesting..."go to a local hotel where I could use wifi on my computer" and then, "I would be back sooner, that I needed to respond to some emails"

According to Amtrak, NOL does not have WIFI...hence, he wanted to go to a hotel that does. Why would he return to NOL which doesn't have WIFI to "respond to some emails"?

If I was responding to emails I'd do it while I was still in an area that does have WIFI.

If no access is available, the emails will have to wait until some kind of access is available.

John

Interesting..."go to a local hotel where I could use wifi on my computer" and then, "I would be back sooner, that I needed to respond to some emails"

According to Amtrak, NOL does not have WIFI...hence, he wanted to go to a hotel that does. Why would he return to NOL which doesn't have WIFI to "respond to some emails"?

If I was responding to emails I'd do it while I was still in an area that does have WIFI.

If no access is available, the emails will have to wait until some kind of access is available.

John
I took it that he went to use the hotel wifi to respond to some emails and he didn't expect that to take too long so he would be back sooner than necessary to catch his next train.

Wondering why I had to geive a name and do the security thing when I posted this...I wasn't logged in...LOL! John

John

If the area outside the New Orleans train station is so terrifying at 4 a.m., why did the OP get there that early when the station agent clearly indicated this was not necessary?
Exactly what I was thinking. It's maybe not the nicest of places, but I don't think you'll get robbed there if you use your street sense and don't do anything stupid.

In contrast, there are other places in New Orleans that make Union Station look like a picnic.

Well I guess thats just New Orleans for you. I have had the same treatment, but in reverse as I am white(and old) and as the former mayor Ray Nagin said, New Orleans is a 'chocolate city'. I have had to wait while blacks were served ahead of me. I have been ignored. etc. You just have to take it and next time go somewhere else. I have no idea what was or is going on at NOUPT but next time I would just wait in my room. Descrimination is a two way street. I was waiting to cross the street there one time and I was standing, I guess, too close to the curb and a pickup truck almost ran over me. The old man standing nearby said "yeah, they will just run over you here". He was a black guy. Descrimination comes in many forms and sizes, but most people are just people and try to be nice. I took a cab from my hotel to the NOUPT one time and the cab driver just complained all the way there because he didn't get an airport fare. I didn't even tip him. In my opinion, NOL is not a friendly city and is a very dirty one.
There are rough and bad neighbourhoods in virtually all cities, and yes, racism exist, but I wouldn't automatically combine one with the other.

The color of the skin of the people you see on the street is not really a reliable indicator of the danger (or otherwise) that you are in.

What does strike me in New Orleans is that the majority of the people you see on the streets are black, whereas people in tourist-facing jobs, be it hotel receptionists or restaurant waiters or tourist guides are largely white.

I don't know if that's racism or if there are other reasons, so I won't construct something negative where there may be another explanation.

I don't know how safe New Orleans is. A camera was stolen from me there once, but it was my own fault as I left my coat unattended when I went to the bathroom and somebody must have slipped it out of the inside pocket then. I asked the waiter and poeple around if they'd seen anything but nobody had. Anyway, it was regrettable but I'm not mad at anyone (although I would pay a reward to get my pictures back, the camera itself doesn't mean much to me).

Apart from that I never fealt threatened and didn't see any illegal or suspicious activity.

I don't know if I'd agree with New Orleans being dirty. At least not worse than other cities. It's maybe badly organised, badly managed and everything's a bit unreliable. But the reverse of that is that is that nobody gets mad at you if you're the one breaking some minor rules. And anyway, if it was perfectly run, it would lose much of the charm that makes it New Orleans.

In the Op's post he stated that he then went outside to wait with another black man. That makes me think he is a black railfan. New Orleans is the number 1 murder capital in America, let alone the fact that petty thefts and robberies run rampant in this town. Look at what a cab ride cost. Two miles, two minutes,two blocks or 20 blocks = $10. We were there last halloween for three days and someone was killed on each of those days. One of the murders was done right on Bourbon St. with many onlookers. New Orleans is a dirty,expensive,crime ridden city that exploits tourist. If I was told by a station agent that I could re-enter the station after going to a hotel to check/answer some emails, then I would believe that agent,and expect to be let back in especially after telling her it would not take me until 6 or (6:30?) to take care of my business. I have 1 question though. Did that meatloaf have creole sauce on it or not?

I have been at this station a few times. There isn't much to do within a short walking distance. No, I wouldn't care to be there in the night hours. Kind of isolated. There are some buildings across the street (kind of far across the street) but I don't remember them being anything fantastic. Maybe closed at those night hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back