Trouble at NOLUS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Corry

I am coming to the end of circling the US by Amtrak. Everything was going smoothly until I got to Union Station New Orleans. I arrived at 10 pm and decided to go to a local hotel where I could use wifi on my computer. The bag check lady was nice and told me to be back by 6:30, 1/2 hour before my train was suppose to leave. I told her that I would be back sooner, that I needed to respond to some emails. She told me to just show security my ticket and I will be allowed in.

Well I got back to the station at 4:00 am. I walked in and security said I had to go back outside. I told them that I was with them, a group of white people waiting for the train and pulled out my ticket. Security didn't even get up to see the ticket they just said "step outside". I then told them "it's not safe out here and the baggage lady said it would be okay to come in as long as I had my ticket." security said again "step outside and close the door". I stepped back outside and another black man was sitting on the curb saying that he to had a ticket but wasn't allowed in but I white elderly lady was allowed in.

I looked around and knew the area was not safe. I called the police thinking that it was better now than after I got robbed. I also informed security who again said to step outside. About 15 minutes later 4 police cars drove up. I guess that got security's attention and they got out of their desk. I told the officers my side of the story and then heard security saying I was being beligerant and I just needed to show my ticket. I objected to that and said I tried to show you my ticket and you just said to stay outside. Then I heard the security weave lies about me. I again objected. The police told me to listen to the security officers. So I kept my mouth shut and listened to their fabricated story. Afterward I said "let's say that everything you said is true. You said if I showed you my ticket I can wait inside with the white people. Well here is my ticket can I go in." she said of course I can. And I walked in sat down and pulled out a book to read.

After the police left I guess one of the security staff did not like the fact i was allowed in. He said he needed my ID, I pulled my driver's licence out of my wallet and gave it to him. I also asked him for his name because I was going to report this. He started yelling " are you treating me or my job". I said no but I am reporting you're actions to your management. He then told me that I needed to go back and stand outside since he felt I was treating his job. Of course the police were gone by then and I waited outside until they boarded my train. I have never felt like a second class citizen until now.

The funny thing is that the company I work for has Amtrak as clients and they will be in the office Monday morning. I have an earful to tell them.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon,

Unfortunately, NOUPT is not an AMTRAK facility, per se, and the local security goons are not employed directly by AMTRAK.

I'm quite certain that the OP genuinely endeared himself to the security guard when he let loose with the "I want to wait inside with the white people" remark...some days I just don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it does sound inexcusable. If Amtrak is not directly responsible for the behavior of those "security" people, I'd make sure to find out who is and file a complaint, involving the police and any other witnesses.

Time, place, location, any other useful information, time of police call (did you use 911) wrap it up nicely and send it to Amtrak, New Orleans City Government, possibly also should be some form of state agency you could and should send it to. Name the group you were with if any form of formal tour group. Try to send it with as much light and as little heat as you can. There has to have been several laws and company standards violated here.

Some rent-a-cops are characters that were rejected by regular law enforcement agencies for various reasons of unsuitability. Sounds like you found one of these walking around with a big chip on his shoulder / inferiority complex / inflated sense of his own importance / intent to be ruler of all he surveys. Strongly suggest that in what you send do not sound like you have a chip on yours. That will do a lot to damage your credibility and cause this to degerate into little more than a who screams loudest contest.

Boy, I must be reading the OP's story differently than many of you.

One data point to consider: The OP claims to have arrived at the train station at 4 a.m., and despite the fact that the station does not actually open until 5 a.m., demands to be let inside.

There's your first problem.

The fact that an elderly woman was let inside does not mean everyone else should be too. The OP's only disability seems to be that he or she is afraid to be in the proximity of black

people, a phobia so intense that the OP calls the police to report a crime that hasn't actually happened yet. You want this kind of protection, hire your own security guard. Don't tie up

public resources just 'cause you're afraid of your own shadow.

If the area outside the New Orleans train station is so terrifying at 4 a.m., why did the OP get there that early when the station agent clearly indicated this was not necessary?

Would the OP care to clarify his or her remarks?

Boy, I must be reading the OP's story differently than many of you.

One data point to consider: The OP claims to have arrived at the train station at 4 a.m., and despite the fact that the station does not actually open until 5 a.m., demands to be let inside.

There's your first problem.

The fact that an elderly woman was let inside does not mean everyone else should be too. The OP's only disability seems to be that he or she is afraid to be in the proximity of black

people, a phobia so intense that the OP calls the police to report a crime that hasn't actually happened yet. You want this kind of protection, hire your own security guard. Don't tie up

public resources just 'cause you're afraid of your own shadow.

If the area outside the New Orleans train station is so terrifying at 4 a.m., why did the OP get there that early when the station agent clearly indicated this was not necessary?

Would the OP care to clarify his or her remarks?
I don't know anything about this station but it sounded like s/he was connecting from one train to another (as were others) and they were allowed to stay in the station overnight. S/he chose to go out and was told s/he would be allowed back in if s/he showed his/her ticket. Others were in the station at 4:00 am so there's no reason not have let him/her into the station.

I don't know anything about this station but it sounded like s/he was connecting from one train to another (as were others) and they were allowed to stay in the station overnight. S/he chose to go out and was told s/he would be allowed back in if s/he showed his/her ticket. Others were in the station at 4:00 am so there's no reason not have let him/her into the station.
It's not clear to me whether the OP was part of a "group" or whether the OP simply preferred the company of "white people." If the OP had an itinerary that involved

an overnight connection in New Orleans, the OP was free to book a hotel (rather than simply mooching off their wifi for a few hours). Amtrak clearly indicates

the station is closed overnight. That some people were evidently allowed to stay inside (we're told) is a point that deserves consideration, but the OP left on

his/her own accord.

In any case, it's inexcusable to call the police just because you're scared. The OP offers no evidence of a crime being imminent.

Something doesnt add up here?? :wacko: Since None of Us was there and don't know the full details, all We Can Do is Speculate or Make Stuff Up! :rolleyes: I am old enough to remember when just being Black was a reason to be Denied Access to Public Places and being treated as Second Class Citizens. :angry2: But I also know that to This Day there is a Fear among Some People of Blacks when they are Encountered in Certain Situations which seems to be the Case Here!

Calling the Police because something "Might" happen is Really Going Too Far as has been said! :rolleyes: That being said, lots of Black people are still harrased by the Police (aka "Profiling",Being Denied the Right to Vote, Driving While Black! etc)

Im not sure if the Rent -a Cops or Amtrak Police that were on duty @ NOLUS but this Incident Definitely needs to be Investigated at all Levels and IF True,Actions need to be taken to ensure it doesnt happen again! As the old saying went, "It could happen to You!" (At any time or anyplace!)

Hope there will be more Info and follow up on this,NOL is a great place to visit but as has been said, there are Big problems on the streets of this City! :help:

I dont see why he would need to be at NOUPT at 4am to begin with. The first train out doesnt leave until 7am *crescent*.If the station opens at 5am, then the OP should have waited until that time, its not like he was going to miss the train in any case. The hotels have wifi, you dont need to be at Union just to use that wifi. If the station opens at 5, then wait until 5, its not that hard of a concept. Some people just expect to be let in no matter what the time or situation. As far as for the ticket issue, thats a moot point, reason being is that he was trying to enter the station before the 5am opening time. By the time all the drama was over with, it was probably past the 5am point, so thats probably why he was finally let in. Im just guessing here.

Regardless, throwing out the white/black thing is just causing more trouble. "I want to wait with the white people" um what? :eek: Calling the cops because you think something is going to happen? Wow, thats just...wow. Way to tie up 4 cop cars for no good reason.

Mouthing off to security is never a good thing, regardless of if you are right or not.

The reason the elderly lady was let is isnt because she was white, its because she was elderly. Big difference, although its easier for some to pull the race card in situations.

Amtrak and Greyhound share the building, but I dont think either one has actual control over the building itself, or the security, so you are barking up the wrong tree as far as blame goes.

Ant

Well I guess thats just New Orleans for you. I have had the same treatment, but in reverse as I am white(and old) and as the former mayor Ray Nagin said, New Orleans is a 'chocolate city'. I have had to wait while blacks were served ahead of me. I have been ignored. etc. You just have to take it and next time go somewhere else. I have no idea what was or is going on at NOUPT but next time I would just wait in my room. Descrimination is a two way street. I was waiting to cross the street there one time and I was standing, I guess, too close to the curb and a pickup truck almost ran over me. The old man standing nearby said "yeah, they will just run over you here". He was a black guy. Descrimination comes in many forms and sizes, but most people are just people and try to be nice. I took a cab from my hotel to the NOUPT one time and the cab driver just complained all the way there because he didn't get an airport fare. I didn't even tip him. In my opinion, NOL is not a friendly city and is a very dirty one.

I read this thread a couple of hours ago and was blown away and truly upset by some of the reactions to the OP. I am bother enough to craft this reply.

The OP was upset- it was the first time he tells us he has felt like a second class citizen in his life. Details are missing, but I suspect he felt, as a railfan, he would be sharing his story with similarly oriented people. Half of the responders seem to be working from the assumption he is a trouble maker.

It seems he was told by the baggage check clerk that he could come back anytime, i.e. no reference was made to the station being closed until 5:00am. Choosing not to get a hotel room overnight would not be my decision, but in no way makes him suspect. Security personnel have security as their first priority, but are also customer service representatives of the station, Amtrak and Greyhound. At the very least, they had an obligation to listen to his side of the story. The OP tells us they did not.

My reading of the OP was that other passengers from the Sunset who were connecting to the Crescent were waiting inside the station and he recognized them and made the point that he was part of the same group. Save for the color of their skins, their circumstances were identical- in that sense they were a group. I have certainly made some inferences and given the OP the benefit of the doubt, but see no reason not to. You give people the benefit of the doubt until there is reason not to. I personally haven't seen any reason to deny this gentleman that benefit.

When someone uses the free wifi in a hotel lobby, calling them a moocher reveals an attitude. When someone seeks to reenter the station at 4:00am, saying “what were they doing trying to get in there then anyway?” says something more about attitude and orientation. When someone assumes another person’s objection to waiting outside at 4:00am is that they are afraid of black people, it says a great deal. The station is in a neighborhood that doesn’t feel great for strangers in town. New Orleans is a multi-racial city. Blacks are victims of crime too. His fear was not irrational and his being upset makes a great deal of sense in the context of being told by an Amtrak employee that he could come back at any time and then not being listened to and then thrown out by security guards.

In 2012 no one is fool enough to explicitly say a story is fishy because of the teller’s skin color. People who feel that way and would say it, if they didn’t fear the approbation, reveal themselves in other ways. I think we have seen more than a bit of that tonight.

I don’t know the OP from Adam, but I would like to tell him that he didn’t deserve the reaction he got.

I agree with our last response from Tom_Tepe. I am sorry that our original guest poster was treated so poorly.

Agree with Tepe's post. Those who declare that one is playing the race card tend to be oblivious to racial realities.

I don't.

The OP is a guest in our country. We are a bunch of whiney apologists when it comes to travel. American's are always apologizing for biligerent, loud and obnoxious Americans abroad, but sympathetic and nurturing to foreigners in our land.

Corry is apparently a business person (noted by the comments in the last paragraph) and it seems as though if one is willing to pay thousands to travel overseas to ride a train, another $100 for a hotel room wouldn't be unreasonable. Heck, $400 wouldn't be unreasonable considering the cost of sleepers on the trip. You get a comfortable room, a hot shower, and if you're lucky, some good food before leaving in the morning. Wifi included. You're seat mate in coach will be quite appreciative. You should also be familiar with customs and behaviors when travelling abroad.

OP chose the cheap route - essentially loitering at a hotel (a crime - defrauding an inkeeper), then loitering at the train station until it opened (also a crime - trespassing). He got scared.

The OP doesn't really tell the whole story. Sure, he was told he could come earlier than 1/2 hour before his departure. Was it communicated that he meant 4 AM?

So, scared and upset, he made some bad decisions. Made some bad statements.

I'm sorry that there was confrontation with Security. I'm not really feeling sorry for ya, though.

I don't.

The OP is a guest in our country. We are a bunch of whiney apologists when it comes to travel. American's are always apologizing for biligerent, loud and obnoxious Americans abroad, but sympathetic and nurturing to foreigners in our land.

Corry is apparently a business person (noted by the comments in the last paragraph) and it seems as though if one is willing to pay thousands to travel overseas to ride a train, another $100 for a hotel room wouldn't be unreasonable. Heck, $400 wouldn't be unreasonable considering the cost of sleepers on the trip. You get a comfortable room, a hot shower, and if you're lucky, some good food before leaving in the morning. Wifi included. He should also be familiar with customs and behaviors when you travel abroad.

OP chose the cheap route - essentially loitering at a hotel (a crime - defrauding an inkeeper), then loitering at the train station until it opened (also a crime - trespassing). He got scared.

The OP doesn't really tell the whole story. Sure, he was told he could come earlier than 1/2 hour before his departure. Was it communicated that he meant 4 AM?

So, scared and upset, he made some bad decisions. Made some bad statements.

I'm sorry that there was confrontation with Security. I'm not really feeling sorry for ya, though.
The OP hasn't responded -- another hit-and-and run post from someone. Somewhere. Maybe even from NOL or nearby.

Why do you think he's a guest in our country? I saw nothing in the OP to indicate this.

Why do you think he's a guest in our country? I saw nothing in the OP to indicater this.
The good, but strange use of the language "I am coming to the end of circling the US by Amtrak" is a clue. The reference to "white people" is a bigger clue. Having no idea how to deal with local cops is another clue.

But not conclusive.

Dealing with "guests in our country" is something that Americans aren't used to -- maybe back-country Indians might have similar problems.

The hit-and-run OP is very clearly NOT aware of cultural norms in North America.

Whatever the case may be - the responses DO reflect cultural norms in North America (sorry that includes Canucks) -- much more interesting than the original unsubstantiated and possibly troll post.

The OP hasn't responded -- another hit-and-and run post from someone. Somewhere. Maybe even from NOL or nearby.
He was boarding a train! He went to a hotel to use WiFi. Trains don't have WiFi outside of the NEC and selected routes.

And even if he's not still on a train, after some of the posts here, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't come back to post anything more.

Why do you think he's a guest in our country? I saw nothing in the OP to indicater this.
The good, but strange use of the language "I am coming to the end of circling the US by Amtrak" is a clue. The reference to "white people" is a bigger clue. Having no idea how to deal with local cops is another clue.

But not conclusive.
Considering this is AU where several members are known to "circle the US" or at least want to, that does not sound like a clue to me.

If s/he is a non-white and feels s/he is being discriminated against because of that, then it seems likely s/he would use "white people" to describe the discrimination.

Key to your last one - "local cops". I would not know how to deal with cops in cities other than my own...and I'm not sure I'd know how to deal with my own cops...since I haven't found a "need" to.

Sounds like a few AUers are conjuring up their own biased scenarios.

I believe that if there is an element of racism here it must be remembered that everyone is entitled to equal protection under the law and should not be descriminated against. The area around NOL Union Station is not safe and common courtesy should have prevailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back