Silliest OBS Made 'Rules'

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the Posts that mention Coach Seat Assignments Made by OBS that Make No Sense such as there are Empty Coaches/Half Full etc. and the Pax that are on the Train are all Forced into One Car and made to Share Seats even though Plenty of Empty Seats are Available! (the usual Explanation is "We're Gonna Fill Up Down the Line!") and LSAs and Waiters in the Diner that just Make Up stuff for Their Convience, not the Passengers!(ie "You can't Have Refills/Hurry Up, we need Your Table, We're Closing" etc. etc.)Especially Irritating is when the LSA or Waiter Sits around talking on their Cell Phone/BSing with other Crew when the Diner is Very Busy!! ( :rolleyes: Their Breaks come when the Diner is Closed, and they get more Sleep than the rest of the OBS!! Some of the OBS on the Texas Eagle Specialize in this! :angry2: !

But my Personal Pet Peeve is when SCAs expect you to do their Job for them such as Putting Up/Down your own Bed (it's Not that Hard but this IS their Job!)since they go "Off Duty" @ 10PM! etc.(not True!!) :rolleyes:

Other such things are Enptying your own Trash,not Putting out Juice/Water/Coffee, Hiding the Towels and Washrags, Not Cleaning the Restrooms! and Not Helping Older or Handicapped Passengers with their Luggage when they Board/DeBoard!!! Of Course the "Invisible SCA" is the Worst of All! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too long ago I was boarding the Sunset Limited with some friends and a cooler full of drinks. A passing cafe attendant inquired if we had alcohol in the cooler, and sternly warned us that consuming your own alcohol was not allowed anywhere on the train. We mentioned that we were in a sleeper, but she said it did not matter and threatened to bring the matter up with the conductor. We decided not to argue, and just promised not to drink said alcohol...

Last edited by a moderator:
But my Personal Pet Peeve is when SCAs expect you to do their Job for them such as Putting Up/Down your own Bed (it's Not that Hard but this IS their Job!)since they go "Off Duty" @ 10PM! etc.(not True!!) :rolleyes:
Actually Jim, that can happen depending on how things are worked out with the crew. If there are two sleepers, one of two things can happen. The attendants can trade off with each other, read attendant #1 works both cars from 10PM to 2AM, while attendant #2 gets their 4 hours of sleep. Then they swap.

Or, the conductor could cover 1 of the sleepers from 10 - 2 and then the other from 2 - 6.

Other such things are Enptying your own Trash,not Putting out Juice/Water/Coffee, Hiding the Towels and Washrags, Not Cleaning the Restrooms! and Not Helping Older or Handicapped Passengers with their Luggage when they Board/DeBoard!!! Of Course the "Invisible SCA" is the Worst of All! :rolleyes:
Any attendant asking me to empty my trash will find that the trash can is still full upon arrival.

Not too long ago I was boarding the Sunset Limited with some friends and a cooler full of drinks. A passing cafe attendant inquired if we had alcohol in the cooler, and sternly warned us that consuming your own alcohol was not allowed anywhere on the train. We mentioned that we were in a sleeper, but she said it did not matter and threatened to bring the matter up with the conductor. We decided not to argue, and just promised not to drink said alcohol...
She was of course wrong!

And had she pursued the matter, the conductor would have corrected her no doubt.

I have mentioned this before but since the topic out here is about listing annoying self-made "rules" by OBS, I would point out my Southwest Chief journey last November where the coach attendant was adamant about not letting me sit at a window seat at an empty row in a half-empty train because "all seat pairs are for families" and single riders should all sit next to each other in one half of the coach. He enforced this "rule" all the way up to Albuquerque in spite of the three coaches being around 50% empty at all points of time during the journey.
This happened to me once on 49. The attendant had posted signs on several seats "for families only". There really wasn't anyplace else to sit. I removed one of the signs and sat down. When she challenged me I told her that I get motion sickness unless I am next to a window.

She walked away.
What I hate is single travelers hogging pairs of seats so that groups can't sit together. A few trips back Mrs. Ispolkom and I rode the Empire Builder in coach. When we boarded, I found a man sitting alone under a sign that said "For Families traveling together." I asked him to move, so that I would share the pair of seats with my wife. He declined, and asked what I was going to do about it. I told him that I'd find the conductor and that the conductor would make him move. He moved, grumbling, to double up with someone. When the conductor came by to take tickets, he made my new friend move to a different coach, I suppose for ease in doing a middle-of-night stop. Me, I like coach attendants who enforce the rules, though I'm certainly willing to stand up for myself.

In all fairness, a good coach attendant won't ask a passenger to move during their trip at all. Hopefully, proper management would avoid that. Again - a call for reserved seating. Technology is there!! Amtrak even has it. Just gotta turn it on!

In all fairness, a good coach attendant won't ask a passenger to move during their trip at all. Hopefully, proper management would avoid that. Again - a call for reserved seating. Technology is there!! Amtrak even has it. Just gotta turn it on!
does the coach attendant have a manifast of all there passengers names

so they know were they get off the train

Yes, the attendant does have a manifest. However, it's not always 100% up to date, as people can buy tickets after it is printed. The manifest also doesn't indicate if each person actually showed up to ride the train and it doesn't have a picture of the traveler, so it's not very useful for helping the attendant knowing who gets off the train at what stop.

Yes, the attendant does have a manifest. However, it's not always 100% up to date, as people can buy tickets after it is printed. The manifest also doesn't indicate if each person actually showed up to ride the train and it doesn't have a picture of the traveler, so it's not very useful for helping the attendant knowing who gets off the train at what stop.
the reason i asked alan was i was on the cascade 3 years ago going to vancouver as the train slowed down and almost stoped in the outskirts of the vancouver station i saw 3 young people open a door and jumped out with there backpacks, noboby noticed it

and they made it into vancouver and avoided customs does that happen much

Actually, only sleeper manifests for LD trains have names. Coach manifests are numbers on/off at each stop only.

the reason i asked alan was i was on the cascade 3 years ago going to vancouver as the train slowed down and almost stoped in the outskirts of the vancouver station i saw 3 young people open a door and jumped out with there backpacks, noboby noticed it

Did you mention it to anyone when you saw it? That would definitely be a problem.

That said, if you were on a Talgo train, I don't think you can even open the doors unless the train is stopped (the doors are trainlined and connected to the locomotive), and if the train was stopped, the train wouldn't move again until the door was closed. That would certainly require the conductor "noticing" something.

I don't specifically know if the Talgos require a coach key to open the doors.

Did you mention it to anyone when you saw it? That would definitely be a problem.

That said, if you were on a Talgo train, I don't think you can even open the doors unless the train is stopped (the doors are trainlined and connected to the locomotive), and if the train was stopped, the train wouldn't move again until the door was closed. That would certainly require the conductor "noticing" something.

I don't specifically know if the Talgos require a coach key to open the doors.
what i remember was it was going vary slow when they jumped off

Some of the dumb things I have seen...

"NO PICTURES" -- (not really on-board crew, but worth a mention) I had two serious "run-ins" with Amtrak employees who insisted that pictures were not allowed in "their station". I ran into a surly gate attendant at Chicago Union Station (tall woman who always wears a skirt) who told me I couldn't take pictures of the concourse and south gate. I always carry the photo policy with me and she wouldn't even come over and acknowledge it. She said if I kept taking pictures she would call Amtrak Police. I have the number of a Station Manager in my cell phone who is a personal friend and when I threatened to call her she backed off. The most serious run-in that I had was in July 2011 at Penn Station. I was taking a quick picture outside Club Acela and got accosted by this guy in a suit (no Amtrak ID or anything) -- he refused to provide his name and said he was "in charge" of Penn Station and told me to stop taking pictures. I didn't and he threatened to get an NYPD officer. I lost it, as I was riding Acela FC to have lunch with one of the Vice-Presidents of Amtrak in WAS that day. When I told him who I was going to see, he clammed up and said "do whatever you want"... and actually refused to provide his name. A $10 tip to a red cap got his name and I informed the folks at 60 Mass what an a@@ he was. Hopefully something was done about it.

"BLOCKING DELUXE ROOMS FOR SCA" - This was from the Southwest Chief in March 2011... I was traveling on a 10-day loop around the country with my friend Mike. We were in "Bedroom C" on a pretty empty Southwest Chief #4. Out of LAX, it was discovered that the top bunk wouldn't latch -- meaning the top bed couldn't be used because it could fold up against the wall if you hit a bump. The SCA wanted us to move to "Bedroom A" (which was unsold all the way to Chicago). We didn't want to do this because Bedroom A is a little smaller... and didnt see the point of being stuck in a smaller bedroom for the next 2 days just because of a bad bed. I suggested how about just letting us keep "C"... and I'd just go in and sleep in "A" during the night (if it remained un-sold). The SCA threw a hissy fit and came up with tons of reasons why we couldn't do this. We later found out the reason why she didnt want this (we overheard this at ABQ and La Junta) was because she wanted a big bedroom for herself and her own private toilet for the trip. She went as far as to talk to the station agent in La Junta and have her block out "A" for herself all the way into Chicago. The SCA from the other sleeper did the same thing in La Junta to block off "B" in our car all the way to Chicago. BTW, again with some name dropping (I hate to do it), I was able to secure Roomette 2 for my use for the two nights.

"10PM CUT-OFF FOR BEDS" - I was on the City of New Orleans a few years ago and had a very bad sleeping car attendant who was surly... and got on the PA right out of Chicago and shouted that if you wanted your bed made up to pull out your call button before 10PM or she WASNT going to make it up for you. I hate using the call buttons... and saw her on my way to dinner... and said that anytime she wanted to make up my bedroom it was fine. She barked at me that I should go back and pull the button. Okay. She then went for her own dinner from like 8:30-9:45pm (yes, over an hour for sure)... I went to bed around 10:15PM but was awoken around 10:45PM with a comotion going on in the next bedroom. A very elderly couple was trying to get her to put the bed down, but she flat out refused because it was after 10PM. The point was... she was up already... and the couple was near 90 and probably couldnt do it themselves. :( I finally gave in and did it for them.

"SSL CLOSING FOR QUICK TURN" - Some crews like to make up the fact the train is making a quick turn in Chicago Union Station and will use that as an excuse for closing the Sightseer Lounge car early. As far as I know, the only long distance trains that make a same-day turn in Chicago are the Cardinal, Capitol Limited, and Lake Shore Limited... and the City of New Orleans into the Texas Eagle and vice-versa. Regardless, I have had crews on the California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, and Empire Builder claim the train is going out in a couple of hours to (insert your destination) and so they have to close the SSL at a stop or two outside of Chicago. I can understand closing the lower level to count stock, etc but leave the upper level open into Chicago if you want to stay in there. Don't lie and say the car is going out to another city somewhere. #4, #6, #8 all go to the yards for servicing coming into Chicago... they dont go out to New York that night (normally).

That was the case when gold and silver was used, but today there is little intrinsic value in coins. That being said, it's true that the ratio of cost to value of a coin is much greater than currency. But not enough to make it a commodity.
US coins have value that is inherent in the fact that they were coined by order of Congress. That's in the Consitution. The content of the coin is irrelevant to its value; this is why dollar coins are worth more than four times as much the metal in it, and the $50 Gold Eagle is made with gold currently worth many times its value.
Notes are not "money" in the strictest sense. They are a representation of "real money," and are, in fact, obligations of the Federal Reserve Banks. Notes have value because they are backed by collateral held by the Reserve Banks. They are money in the looser sense only because the Treasury will exchange them for "real money":

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/12/411

I don't get the last part of your comment. Yes, that is the law of the United States. We are talking about using US coins on a US train (arguably to pay a PUBLIC debt, as this is a Federally operated program). We're not talking about anyone elses or any other kind of money. Nickles, dimes and pennies for the Cafe car is legal tender. Period.
I don't think that you understand the law. The the law states that US currency is valid and foreign currency is not. It is not making a statement on whether US coins or notes are legal tender, let alone that anybody *has* to accept them. Those subjects are covered elsewhere.

"BLOCKING DELUXE ROOMS FOR SCA" - This was from the Southwest Chief in March 2011... I was traveling on a 10-day loop around the country with my friend Mike. We were in "Bedroom C" on a pretty empty Southwest Chief #4. Out of LAX, it was discovered that the top bunk wouldn't latch -- meaning the top bed couldn't be used because it could fold up against the wall if you hit a bump. The SCA wanted us to move to "Bedroom A" (which was unsold all the way to Chicago). We didn't want to do this because Bedroom A is a little smaller... and didnt see the point of being stuck in a smaller bedroom for the next 2 days just because of a bad bed. I suggested how about just letting us keep "C"... and I'd just go in and sleep in "A" during the night (if it remained un-sold). The SCA threw a hissy fit and came up with tons of reasons why we couldn't do this. We later found out the reason why she didnt want this (we overheard this at ABQ and La Junta) was because she wanted a big bedroom for herself and her own private toilet for the trip. She went as far as to talk to the station agent in La Junta and have her block out "A" for herself all the way into Chicago. The SCA from the other sleeper did the same thing in La Junta to block off "B" in our car all the way to Chicago. BTW, again with some name dropping (I hate to do it), I was able to secure Roomette 2 for my use for the two nights
I think that I may have run into the same SCAs on my room reassignment debacle. Both women took up residence in a bedroom.
It was nice, however, that I could grab supplies stored in room one whenever.

"BLOCKING DELUXE ROOMS FOR SCA" - This was from the Southwest Chief in March 2011... I was traveling on a 10-day loop around the country with my friend Mike. We were in "Bedroom C" on a pretty empty Southwest Chief #4. Out of LAX, it was discovered that the top bunk wouldn't latch -- meaning the top bed couldn't be used because it could fold up against the wall if you hit a bump. The SCA wanted us to move to "Bedroom A" (which was unsold all the way to Chicago). We didn't want to do this because Bedroom A is a little smaller... and didnt see the point of being stuck in a smaller bedroom for the next 2 days just because of a bad bed. I suggested how about just letting us keep "C"... and I'd just go in and sleep in "A" during the night (if it remained un-sold). The SCA threw a hissy fit and came up with tons of reasons why we couldn't do this. We later found out the reason why she didnt want this (we overheard this at ABQ and La Junta) was because she wanted a big bedroom for herself and her own private toilet for the trip. She went as far as to talk to the station agent in La Junta and have her block out "A" for herself all the way into Chicago. The SCA from the other sleeper did the same thing in La Junta to block off "B" in our car all the way to Chicago. BTW, again with some name dropping (I hate to do it), I was able to secure Roomette 2 for my use for the two nights
I think that I may have run into the same SCAs on my room reassignment debacle. Both women took up residence in a bedroom.
Was one young (in her 20's) with black/brown hair and the other a little older?

I can understand a SCA wanting a deluxe bedroom, but I have serious problems with them blocking out rooms... in this case 2 ROOMS... at La Junta all the way into Chicago. I mean what if someone who gets on in western Kansas wants to upgrade to a bedroom? Amtrak is losing hundreds of dollars... times every 2 weeks these ladies go out. And yes, I did report them to Customer Relations.

I can understand a SCA wanting a deluxe bedroom, but I have serious problems with them blocking out rooms... in this case 2 ROOMS... at La Junta all the way into Chicago. I mean what if someone who gets on in western Kansas wants to upgrade to a bedroom? Amtrak is losing hundreds of dollars... times every 2 weeks these ladies go out. And yes, I did report them to Customer Relations.
There is NOT A GD thing wrong with "dropping names" when the situation warrants it. Bozos who go off on some power trip about pix, or blocking rooms, or making up all kind of weird rules need to be called to the carpet for their actions.

And, (I know I am preaching to the choir here) employees who make your trip a delight, should also similarly

be recognized.

I applaud your actions.

I cannot honestly remember, because I barely saw either of them, as they spent quality time in the diner and in their rooms.

There is NOT A GD thing wrong with "dropping names" when the situation warrants it. Bozos who go off on some power trip about pix, or blocking rooms, or making up all kind of weird rules need to be called to the carpet for their actions.

And, (I know I am preaching to the choir here) employees who make your trip a delight, should also similarly

be recognized.

I applaud your actions.
My biggest beef was the guy in the suit at New York-Penn Station who wasn't wearing an Amtrak ID, yet kept referring to Penn Station as "his station" and telling me I couldn't take pictures. Yes, he was actually one of the station superintendents, but as far as I knew... he could have been just a crackpot person on a power trip who didnt work for Amtrak at all. As far as I know from several friends who work at Amtrak, employees are required to wear their ID while on duty (and sometimes even off duty while on company property)... and this guy was for sure on duty and was trying to act in an official capacity. I also believe it's a regulation that an employee must provide their name if asked by a paid passenger.

My biggest beef was the guy in the suit at New York-Penn Station who wasn't wearing an Amtrak ID, yet kept referring to Penn Station as "his station" and telling me I couldn't take pictures. Yes, he was actually one of the station superintendents, but as far as I knew... he could have been just a crackpot person on a power trip who didnt work for Amtrak at all. As far as I know from several friends who work at Amtrak, employees are required to wear their ID while on duty (and sometimes even off duty while on company property)... and this guy was for sure on duty and was trying to act in an official capacity. I also believe it's a regulation that an employee must provide their name if asked by a paid passenger.
Lack of visible ID aside, what is the official Amtrak/NJT/LIRR/NYPD policy as far as photography inside NY Penn station is concerned? Are visitors to the station allowed to take pictures for personal use? Are ticketed passengers allowed? Are there any forbidden areas where photography is not allowed? I know photography at the huge concourse in Grand Central has no issues, since it is more of a tourist hotspot than a transit location anyways, but no idea what's the scene at NYPenn.

Lack of visible ID aside, what is the official Amtrak/NJT/LIRR/NYPD policy as far as photography inside NY Penn station is concerned? Are visitors to the station allowed to take pictures for personal use? Are ticketed passengers allowed? Are there any forbidden areas where photography is not allowed? I know photography at the huge concourse in Grand Central has no issues, since it is more of a tourist hotspot than a transit location anyways, but no idea what's the scene at NYPenn.
Amtrak's photo policy is that photography is allowed in ANY area that is accessible to the public. At most, you might be asked by a crew member or Amtrak Police about what the nature of your photography. And any Amtrak employee is required to wear their company ID any time they are on company property REGARDLESS of whether they are on duty or not, so if you see someone who claims to work for the company and does not have their ID displayed, feel free to call the local police!

I guess the only way to handle that situation is to give him the extra $1 you had put in the tip tray and when you received the two quarters back in change, put them in the tip tray. :giggle:
or...put the quarters in your pocket and walk away
laugh.gif
There should be a like function on this forum, there are many times that a like button is all that's needed to respond. :giggle:

be recognized.

I applaud your actions.
You've just reminded me of the story someone told on here about the "conductor" on the Texas Eagle who was apparently one of the more harmless "guests" at a local asylum. He had a complete uniform and everything...and it was only the "regulars" who knew something was amiss when he went through collecting tickets at an odd time.

You've just reminded me of the story someone told on here about the "conductor" on the Texas Eagle who was apparently one of the more harmless "guests" at a local asylum. He had a complete uniform and everything...and it was only the "regulars" who knew something was amiss when he went through collecting tickets at an odd time.
I haven't heard that story; but up in NY City we have a guy who likes to drive subway trains, despite the fact that he's not an MTA employee. He once showed up an took an A train out of 207th Street yard making all the stops down the west side of Manhattan like a real pro. He only got caught because he didn't properly handle a grade timing signal which ripped out his air. And when he didn't know how to reset things, the dispatcher realized that he had a problem. :eek:

Any outsider reading this thread could not possibly conclude anything other than this:

Amtrak sucks.

Whine on, folks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back