Amtrak Special Agent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtabern

Conductor
A few months ago forum member Patrick noted that he was approached by a "special agent" while taking photos in San Diego. It was the first I heard of the position because well, frankly, I don't think Amtrak has special agents creeping around Wisconsin. But it turns out it's a real thing... and they're planning to hire another special agent out of Los Angeles to ride the Surfliners. Beware Whooz!

http://amtrak.teamrewards.net/TR_PublicWeb...m=1228430671858

Last edited by a moderator:
well no more railfaining :angry2: why you videotaping you plain on building a train if not your a terrorist :angry2: move to canada at least they don't give a crap what you do.

A few months ago forum member Patrick noted that he was approached by a "special agent" while taking photos in San Diego. It was the first I heard of the position because well, frankly, I don't think Amtrak has special agents creeping around Wisconsin. But it turns out it's a real thing... and they're planning to hire another special agent out of Los Angeles to ride the Surfliners. Beware Whooz!
"Special Agent"s have been around for over a century, and probably since the first train robbery if not before. My great-grandfather was one for the Northern Pacific, working out of their Tacoma headquarters (the building is visible from the Cascades--it's been repurposed as an office building, but the architecture is quite distinctive). Patrick, I don't think he would have hassled you, but if you'd been in any trouble, he would've taken care of you! Railroading was more ... exciting ... back then:

a newspaper article about one of his most notable moments on the job

This would have been about 1905-1913, the years he worked for the Northern Pacific. He'd been a guard for the Canadian Pacific before coming south into America, and a policeman and game warden in England before that. What a life.

Nowadays the role of a special agent is probably more oriented less towards stopping violent crimes, and more towards loss prevention. Though while in Kansas City on the SWC last year, special agents and local police together boarded the train with dogs, looking for someone suspected of trafficking drugs I assume. Most were plainclothed but were at that point wearing their badges openly as they walked the train with the dogs. Some badges said "Amtrak", some said "Kansas City", so at least some of them were railroad special agents.

There was also a video (last year sometime?) posted here from a security camera in Sanford (?) of a thief trying to steal something from the Amtrak facility there being chased down by police and, probably, special agents. So their jobs aren't entirely boring even today.

Thanks for the heads up, Robert! Funny, though, that there's nothing in the job description about harassing photographers. Maybe the clown at SAN was freelancing?

Also funny that the gig is being reposted, and previous applicants need not reapply. Pretty good indication that the first batch was a bunch of losers, perhaps including Amtrak Special Agent Pat, who may have wanted to transfer north.

Thanks for the heads up, Robert! Funny, though, that there's nothing in the job description about harassing photographers. Maybe the clown at SAN was freelancing?

Also funny that the gig is being reposted, and previous applicants need not reapply. Pretty good indication that the first batch was a bunch of losers, perhaps including Amtrak Special Agent Pat, who may have wanted to transfer north.
Let's hope it wasn't north to Boston :p

Let's hope it wasn't north to Boston :p
But Boston is on the right coast, unlike San Diego.

I am a law enforcement officer with another agency and met an Amtrak Special Agent in training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. Their job is to act as criminal investigators for Amtrak. The person I met conducted internal investigations on employees who were stealing from Amtrak and committing fraud and abusing their positions for personal gain. They also investigate contractors who are ripping off the company. They also do terrorist threat assessments and other homeland security duties. I find it hard to beleive that a Special Agent would be out harrassing rail fans taking pictures unless that person was acting suspicious. It might be good of you to find the real facts about a persons occupation instead of making fun of them and calling them bullies. Check out Amtrak's Office of Inspector General website to learn more about what these people do.

I am a law enforcement officer with another agency and met an Amtrak Special Agent in training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. Their job is to act as criminal investigators for Amtrak. The person I met conducted internal investigations on employees who were stealing from Amtrak and committing fraud and abusing their positions for personal gain. They also investigate contractors who are ripping off the company. They also do terrorist threat assessments and other homeland security duties. I find it hard to beleive that a Special Agent would be out harrassing rail fans taking pictures unless that person was acting suspicious. It might be good of you to find the real facts about a persons occupation instead of making fun of them and calling them bullies. Check out Amtrak's Office of Inspector General website to learn more about what these people do.
Who let the dogs out? Who- who who

Seriously... *gives up*

Who let the dogs out? Who- who who

Seriously... *gives up*
In over 40 years of RR'ing I've yet to meet one of these Super heroes~ perhaps they're stuck in a phone booth getting ready for duty or looking up Patrick's # ? :p :p :p

I find it hard to beleive that a Special Agent would be out harrassing rail fans taking pictures unless that person was acting suspicious.
I briefly considered starting a poll among AU Members who have met me to see who thinks I look suspcious when doing my rail photography thing, but decided against it. I might not come out so well. HAHAHA!!

As people who have read the story of the encounter know, I was taking pictures for about an hour, then was accosted as I boarded my train. If I looked so damn suspicious, why wait until boarding to hassle me?

It might be good of you to find the real facts about a persons occupation instead of making fun of them and calling them bullies.
It might be good of you to find out the real facts about what we're talking about and why Amtrak Sekrit Special Agent Pat is the topic of much ridicule around here before you paint us all with the same brush there, officer.

I'm sure (or would at least hope) that most Amtrak Special agents comport themselves with a little bit more professionalism than Amtrak Sekrit Special Agent Pat does (but it probably won't stop us from making fun of Amtrak Sekrit Special Agent Pat. :)

Everytime from now on I will always think of Patrick when I hear Johnny Rivers singing "Secret....Agent Man, Secret Agent man....they've given me a number and taken away my name"............................... :lol:

Everytime from now on I will always think of Patrick when I hear Johnny Rivers singing "Secret....Agent Man, Secret Agent man....they've given me a number and taken away my name"............................... :lol:
Not to rain on your parade, but one of the lines is "he's a man who leads a life of danger; to every one he meets, he stays a stranger"...I think he failed both parts of that, along with the "odds are he won't live to see tomorrow", since it sounds like even agent 86 lived a more harrowing life than this "special" agent.

Not to rain on your parade, but one of the lines is "he's a man who leads a life of danger; to every one he meets, he stays a stranger"...I think he failed both parts of that, along with the "odds are he won't live to see tomorrow", since it sounds like even agent 86 lived a more harrowing life than this "special" agent.
OK Chief, which Patrick is Secret Agent 00Z and which one is a member of KAOS? :unsure:

OK Chief, which Patrick is Secret Agent 00Z and which one is a member of KAOS? :unsure:
No-- he's a member of SMERSH.

No-- he's a member of SMERSH.
I wondered why Patrick was talking to his fez in the Great Hall~ oh wait, that was Agent 99 he was calling :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back