New Haven - Springfield line Expanded Service Details

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I observed the process yesterday on train 417. Amtrak conductors scan the Ctrail tickets like they do their own and then tear off and take the stub. Ctrail trains will also honor Amtrak tickets up to two hours after the departure of the train listed on the Amtrak ticket. The Amtrak tickets are still subject to normal rules - IE you must board the train number your ticket says and to change it you have to modify the ticket online or thru an agent. However because the Shuttle fares now have no buckets it’s just a matter of calling or going to a window or adjusting it online there won’t be a charge. I would imagine in the event of a packed train reserved Amtrak ticket holders have priority over CTrail but I would imagine we are a little ways from that being a problem ( other than the free opening weekend that just occurred.) Supposedly all the fares collected by CTrail and by Amtrak ticket sales for SPG-NHV service now go into a common pool and the fares are divied up based on a process that they agreed to.
Seems unnecessarily complicated. You'd think Amtrak would go to an unreserved model for NHV-SPG. Doesn't seem to be any point in keeping that route reserved anymore.
I don’t know for sure whether they would prioritize but just suspect so. However 99% of the time I’d imagine there’s probably enough unsold seats to accommodate the ctrail riders for the foreseeable future. If ridership really grows substantially then maybe they have to add a car to the shuttle sets. I’d imagine right now it’s a wait and see situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I observed the process yesterday on train 417. Amtrak conductors scan the Ctrail tickets like they do their own and then tear off and take the stub. Ctrail trains will also honor Amtrak tickets up to two hours after the departure of the train listed on the Amtrak ticket. The Amtrak tickets are still subject to normal rules - IE you must board the train number your ticket says and to change it you have to modify the ticket online or thru an agent. However because the Shuttle fares now have no buckets it’s just a matter of calling or going to a window or adjusting it online there won’t be a charge. I would imagine in the event of a packed train reserved Amtrak ticket holders have priority over CTrail but I would imagine we are a little ways from that being a problem ( other than the free opening weekend that just occurred.) Supposedly all the fares collected by CTrail and by Amtrak ticket sales for SPG-NHV service now go into a common pool and the fares are divied up based on a process that they agreed to.
Seems unnecessarily complicated. You'd think Amtrak would go to an unreserved model for NHV-SPG. Doesn't seem to be any point in keeping that route reserved anymore.
I don’t know for sure whether they would prioritize but just suspect so. However 99% of the time I’d imagine there’s probably enough unsold seats to accommodate the ctrail riders for the foreseeable future. If ridership really grows substantially then maybe they have to add a car to the shuttle sets. I’d imagine right now it’s a wait and see situation.
I agree that there is no reason for the line to be reserved, especially since the CTrail trains are unreserved. As to adding a car, I'm not sure what the ridership has been this week (is there any way of finding out as of yet?), so I don't know if it's that popular yet, but I don't think Amtrak has enough Amfleets for that right now.

Amtrak still lists the tickets as "reserved coach seats." So my guess is the official policy is the trains remain reserved and CTrail passengers can use the unsold seat capacity on the train. Just to clarify I don't think they are anywhere near needing a third car yet - probably years away from someone being denied a ride. CTrail ridership is pretty light so far from what I witnessed Monday and have heard the same in general although they are steadily seeing some regular commuters beginning to use the service. I think CTDOT's expectations are pretty low for the first couple years. I think the hope is for 1500-2000 riders per day by year 5 or something along those lines. I don't think the reserved thing is going to be a problem for the foreseeable future except maybe in an instance where you have a late northbound NEC train which misses its Shuttle connection and you end up with passengers from two northeast regional connections on one Shuttle and you also have a bunch of CTrail passengers wanting to board the same train. But even there I think they are a ways away from that problem - unless there's either a surge in CTrail ridership or regular Amtrak riders connecting south of NHV. I would understand why they'd continue to reserve to a certain extent- Amtrak makes a lot more money by feeding riders from the line into the Northeast Corridor than it's going to make from CTrail ticket holders so if full trains do eventually come I can see why they'd want to prioritize Amtrak customers. But like I said it's definitely wait and see, Amtrak wants to observe how big CTrail grows and they're definitely not there yet. I would imagine in the event a third car needs to be added it will likely be up to CTDOT to figure it out. Maybe when they figure out how to replace the current CTrail equipment they could include a new car for each of the Shuttle consists as well. If the equipment is compatible you could have one coach with commuter seating for the CTrail passengers and just reserve the Amfleet seating for ticketed Amtrak passengers.

Work often brought us to Winsor on Fridays and not leave until Monday night. Now have way to get to BOS to meet relatives for a great weekend and not try to get a bus.

I would understand why they'd continue to reserve to a certain extent- Amtrak makes a lot more money by feeding riders from the line into the Northeast Corridor than it's going to make from CTrail ticket holders so if full trains do eventually come I can see why they'd want to prioritize Amtrak customers. But like I said it's definitely wait and see, Amtrak wants to observe how big CTrail grows and they're definitely not there yet.
I think you are overestimating Amtrak's interest in analyzing this situation. I think the Amtrak trains are still reserved simply because that's the way they were before CTrail existed. Call it institutional inertia.

I would understand why they'd continue to reserve to a certain extent- Amtrak makes a lot more money by feeding riders from the line into the Northeast Corridor than it's going to make from CTrail ticket holders so if full trains do eventually come I can see why they'd want to prioritize Amtrak customers. But like I said it's definitely wait and see, Amtrak wants to observe how big CTrail grows and they're definitely not there yet.
I think you are overestimating Amtrak's interest in analyzing this situation. I think the Amtrak trains are still reserved simply because that's the way they were before CTrail existed. Call it institutional inertia.
You’re probably right. There’s probably been more analysis on this board than at Amtrak. Amtrak has far bigger fish to fry than this fairly minor service. But hey when it’s your local service you want to think it’s important. [emoji2]

CTrail tickets are valid on the Amtrak trains and vice versa. I don't believe passengers using a CT Trail ticket have to reserve on the train.

CTrail tickets are valid on the Amtrak trains and vice versa. I don't believe passengers using a CT Trail ticket have to reserve on the train.
But they wouldn't get AGR points, which is ultimately the main issue here.
default_tongue.png

But they wouldn't get AGR points, which is ultimately the main issue here.
default_tongue.png
Lol, gone is the 100 point minimum! You would only get 26 points from NHV to SPG!
default_mosking.gif

Here's a sticking point that may cause problems in the not too distant future:

Massachusetts To Connecticut: Give Us Our Rail Cars Back

The rail service between New Haven and Springfield almost did not launch on time in 2018. Connecticut lacked the cash to buy new rail cars, so the state leased 30-year-old cars from Massachusetts instead.

Joseph Giulietti, commissioner of Connecticut’s Department of Transportation, says that lease is coming up.

“We’ve got a good relationship with Massachusetts, they understand, but they’re also in a position that, you know, they don’t want to extend a lease on their cars because they have a need for it.”
[/url]

Problems are brewing. Everyone is short of equipment.

Back