New Haven - Springfield line Expanded Service Details

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait so does this mean that it will now be possible to take commuter rail from New York to Boston? Metro North to New Haven, Hartford Line to Springfield, MBTA to Boston? That would be a ridiculous trip, but I kind of like the idea of it.
default_huh.png
No, the MBTA does not continue past Worcester to Springfield.
Oh. Darn it.

Hartford Line service planned to start June 16th, 2018: http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-pol-hartford-rail-line-starting-june-20180417-story.html

I'm not at all surprised by this, especially since the DOT said the last of the four new locomotives won't be ready until June. What I don't get is why they're still claiming the trains will run at 110 mph. Was the track really upgraded from Class 4 to Class 6, as I said above several months ago? Isn't that supposed to be in the next phase, when further improvements will be done and there will be more trains offered over the entire route?
Its pretty comical to be marketing/mentioning 110mph operation at this point, especially since the locomotives they will be launching service with are limited to a max of 80mph.
I thought I heard somewhere that 110 mph operation was going to be possible at launch in a couple spots BUT that it would only be Amtrak that would be able to do it at first, as you said, due to locomotive choice for CTrail.
Where'd you here that? I've been watching transitdocs today and it didn't seem like any of the trains got up to 110.

I'm just going to say it. The new paint job on the Geeps looks horrible.
I actually think they look quite nice. The deep black looks good to me. Now, the 30-year-old cars, on the other hand...well I'll just wait to see them in person.
Found the video. Where I heard it is an Informational session with the assistant rail administrator for CTDOT held in Springfield - I watched it again yesterday. He directly mentioned that they brought the line from 80 up to 110 MPH. In addition to the double tracking some work was done to improve certain curves and bridges to permit faster operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean this video? I put the link to where the speaker, John E. Bernick, Assistant Rail Administrator of Connecticut DOT, says "...right now the speed on the line is limited to 80 miles per hour. That's due to the signal system. We replaced the entire signal system...so the maximum speed on the line goes from 80 to 110."

That's the one. He also mentioned as I'm sure you saw that they did some curve and bridge improvements to squeeze out another 20 mph here and there at various spots. If next phase gets funded will be interesting to see what they can do north of Windsor Locks. Connecticut River Bridge and its two sharp curves on both approaches complicates matter as well as the large curve at the Springfield-Longmeadow town line and the big curve into Union Station. Limits how much speed you can have on that northern most stretch.

It appears that Friday June 8th is the last day of the current Amtrak schedule on the Springfield line. On Saturday June 9th, it appears Amtrak will be making its schedule changes on the line including some additional service that was made possible by the New Haven - Hartford - Springfield program. The weekend schedule only involves a couple changes, most of the big changes begin June 11th, the first day of the new weekday schedule. The Hartford Line commuter service starts the following week on June 16th. On that day the state of Connecticut will begin running its new "CTrail" dedicated commuter trains and the Amtrak fares between the Hartford Line commuter stations will change to match the Hartford Line fares on the 16th - intercity fares to destinations beyond NHV remain the same. A disclaimer that no announcement has been made yet - the additional trains can now be seen on Amtrak's booking site but it appears they are still updating the system as the train numbers don't yet appear and you can only see them if you select a pairing between Springfield and New Haven - but on viewing it definitely appears that June 9th will be the day. Most changes are positive and add additional service and connections in New Haven. Only two losses of service: one is a loss of connection to train 93 for Windsor, Windsor Locks, and Springfield - 493 shuttle is going away. A Hartford-terminating CTrail southbound train will replace 493 in its timeslot and two new Amtrak Shuttles will launch an hour earlier and two hours later (471 and 473.) Hartford and south can still connect to 93 using the new CTrail train. Presumably, folks that were already booked for 493/93 June 11th and later will get swapped to either 471/171 or 473/173. The other service loss is Berlin and Wallingford are being cut from the Vermonter beginning that week. Folks can view www.hartfordline.com to see the full schedule. All changes proposed there seem to be taking effect in June. As seen on there, in addition to Amtrak's new trains the CTrail trains also allow a couple of additional Amtrak connections to be made at New Haven and they are listed there (obviously with no connection guarantee as they aren't operated by Amtrak.)

Amtrak began 110 mph operation on the line today and CTrail began a full schedule of test trains. Monday three new additional round trip Shuttles begin. Essentially the full CTrail/Amtrak schedule will run all this week with the CTrail trains being non revenue.

Amtrak began 110 mph operation on the line today
Yes...all seven miles of it.
default_mosking.gif

Hey, it's a start!
Beyond the 7 miles of 110 are there additional sections that have been brought up to 85/90/95/100 from the original 80? Hopefully CT will continue on with the future phases. There's a couple other long straight stretches you could see them increasing the speed as well as some really slow sections they could probably improve.

One thing I don't understand is why Amtrak isn't selling tickets for direct connections between some of the Shuttles and Acela trains where it would make sense. New trains 451 and 412 are timed where they would make perfect connections to Acela trains and CTDOT is even advertising the connections on their Hartford Line scheudle, however 451 and 412 are being sold by Amtrak as standalone Shuttles with no New Haven connections. I know that one of the main reasons for the additional Shuttles' existence is to pick up some of the slack for CTrail since they only have enough rolling stock for the number of trips they are making (CTDOT has even admitted that), but it would have made sense to have all the Shuttles make Amtrak connections in NHV. Weekday 417 and Sunday 416 were also advertised by CTDOT as making Acela connecitons but Amtrak is only selling Regional connections to those with a much longer layover. I have emailed both CTDOT and Amtrak regarding this but have yet to receive a response. Hopefully this is something that will be improved. Of course its possible to make an unofficial conenction, but then you are throwing the dice and are screwed if you miss it.

I think it's also worth asking why CTrail and Amtrak aren't interlining in some fashion. Given that fares are synced and given that Amtrak is, IIRC, covered due to how those state arrangements work post-PRIIA 209, I would expect that Amtrak would be a net winner in doing so (since every chance to add connections to Regionals should in theory generate net business).

There are new cheaper Hartford Line commuter fares that take effect this Saturday. Amtrak is dropping and flattening its fare rates along NHV-SPG to match CTrail. Also you can use CTrail tickets on the Amtrak trains and Amtrak tickets on CTrail so its basically interchangeable. The only difference in who you buy the ticket from will be if CTrail is offering a discount Amtrak doesnt (or has a better discount than what Amtrak offers.) For example CTrail has a better children's discount. In those cases it will make a price difference to buy from the commuter rail ticket machine. But for regular old adult tickets where there's no applicable discount it won't be any more expensive to buy from Amtrak because the base fares are identical and I believe there will be no fare increase buckets. Note this only applies to the "New Haven - Springfield" service line (Shuttles and Regionals) and the Vermonter is excluded from the Hartford Line program. The new fares also have no affect on trips originating from or going to an NEC destination beyond New Haven (In those trips the Springfield line part of the fare is usually peanuts anyway. It's usually just a few dollars more to go from Springfield than New Haven to the same destination.)

It probably has to do with the load vs revenue factor of an Acela. In other words, do you want to utilize your premium seats (which are in high demand and command a premium price to PVD/BOS) to feed state supported commuter service?

It's just annoying that CTDOT has been advertising those connections on their schedule but its not happening - I should correct myself CTDOT responded with "We are looking into this and will have a response for you as soon as possible." No response from Amtrak. It is possible to book official New Haven Springfield Shuttle/Acela connections that don't show up online through an agent. I did it just recently with Acela 2172 with a station agent. But because they dont have the Shuttle 2172/412 as a pairing in the computer system then the 1 hour connection rule applies which means they could not sell me 2172/412 only 2172/478 (478 leaves an hour later than 412.) Now coming north its less of an issue because of the new Shuttle flat-rates. So if 2172 makes it in time for me to board 412 I can simply board 412 and call the 1-800 number and change it for no charge. Also I've heard rumblings that under the new SPG-NHV regime the conductors may not even make you do that (the fares are going to be flat so there would be no charge for a higher bucket and they are going to be accepting commuter rail tickets so why make people jump through hoops?) Going south its more of an issue. 451/2151 lines up nicely but once again 1 hour connection rule. So without the "official" connection if 451 is late and you miss 2151 you are out the Acela ticket. I understand what you are saying and it makes sense about the high demand. I could care less if they hide it from Amtrak's website but I'd wish they'd at least allow the agents to book that connection since they can book other Acela/Shuttle pairings. It just seems really weird because schedule wise it almost seems like 451 is timed to meet 2151 and the train number of 451 would hint at that connection.

Now in reality I'll probably just do this connection "unofficially" someday when I want tor ride Acela as there is a sufficient layover where 90% of the time you're probably fine but still a risk....

Here is one detail that was left out: ADA compliance for the bathrooms. Until they comply, no one will have access to the facilities.

Hartford Line's CTrail Trains To Run Without Bathrooms After ADA Complaint

The DOT said the FRA agreed in November to allow the department to use the coaches without the accessible bathrooms in the interim period until new bathrooms were installed.

A member of the disability community brought the issue to the organization’s attention, said executive director Gretchen Knauff. Her complaint contends that the state’s current proposed solution — placing accessible, portable bathrooms at train stations — “fails to address the lack of accessible bathrooms on the trains.”

“Our objective isn’t to deny everybody the use of a bathroom,” Knauff said Tuesday. “It’s just to make sure there is a substantially equal opportunity for people with disabilities to use a bathroom.”The DOT has installed fully accessible portable restrooms at five Hartford Line stations that did not have them — Berlin, Meriden, Wallingford, Windsor and Windsor Locks — and new signs that make clear which cars will have available restrooms.

Despite the lack of bathrooms, the DOT said they do not expect the FRA’s decision to significantly reduce the number of travelers on the new line.“We do not expect a significant impact on ridership, as this will be only temporary. But of course, time will tell,” the DOT said Tuesday. All Amtrak trains — which comprise half of the Hartford Line — have on-board, accessible restrooms available for passengers to use during their trips.

Commissioner James Redeker said in a news release that the DOT planned to modify the bathrooms of the older coaches Connecticut is leasing from Massachusetts for the Hartford Line. In the meantime, the FRA approved an interim ADA “exception in the regulations for older coaches in intercity service,” the news release said.“However, the FRA reversed this decision days before the launch of the Hartford Line, and the bathrooms must now remain locked until the modifications are complete and one accessible restroom per consist is available,” the release said.

Back