Many questions!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another option would be to try to get a SIM in advance on eBay (most companies won't mail a SIM overseas, but you may find a seller on eBay who's allowed international shipping.)

For the length of your stay, I'd recommend trying to find a standard prepaid plan instead of a traveler-centric one. There's a number of options available with different levels of talk minutes, texts, and data allotment.

I'm a bit of a cell phone nerd as well, so I often frequent cell phone forums and subreddits. A couple options to check are MintSIM (if you're mainly staying in larger cities and aren't worried about having coverage in all of the rural areas) and Cricket (if you want coverage most rural places and are okay with spending more for that.)

Feel free to ask here with questions if you'd like, although this forum is generally rail-centric. Good resources for prepaid plans include reddit.com/r/nocontract and howardforums.com (check out their General Prepaid forum.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option would be to try to get a SIM in advance on eBay (most companies won't mail a SIM overseas, but you may find a seller on eBay who's allowed international shipping.)

For the length of your stay, I'd recommend trying to find a standard prepaid plan instead of a traveler-centric one. There's a number of options available with different levels of talk minutes, texts, and data allotment.

I'm a bit of a cell phone nerd as well, so I often frequent cell phone forums and subreddits. A couple options to check are MintSIM (if you're mainly staying in larger cities and aren't worried about having coverage in all of the rural areas) and Cricket (if you want coverage most rural places and are okay with spending more for that.)

Feel free to ask here with questions if you'd like, although this forum is generally rail-centric. Good resources for prepaid plans include reddit.com/r/nocontract and howardforums.com (check out their General Prepaid forum.)
Thanks! Have done some reading and can indeed get an AT&T Sim card from ebay before I go, then their $45 pre-paid plan looks good.

Is that unlimited talk/text and 6gb data? I just switched to that for my new phone..... $40 with autopay, but that doesn't make sense for one trip.....

Make sure you get the right sized SIM, as there are a few different sizes, with the newer phones usually using the smaller (nano) but plenty of micro out there..

Is that unlimited talk/text and 6gb data? I just switched to that for my new phone..... $40 with autopay, but that doesn't make sense for one trip.....

Make sure you get the right sized SIM, as there are a few different sizes, with the newer phones usually using the smaller (nano) but plenty of micro out there..
My trip is 2 months and ten days, so seems like a decent option.

Have received my AT&T Sim from an Australian seller, with all 3 sizes, so that's right to go. Will just need to find credit when I reach LA!

I noticed an "overseas tourist specific" sim card offer advertised by T mobile when I was in America recently. May not be best value, something like $30 for 3 weeks.

Cheap warm clothing can be bought in many places, "Ross" dress for less and even the drug store chains sell sweatshirts, etc. The Walgreens and similar big drugstore chains are also a good place to buy a fleece blanket for those nights in coach!

Have a great trip!

Ed

I noticed an "overseas tourist specific" sim card offer advertised by T mobile when I was in America recently. May not be best value, something like $30 for 3 weeks.

Cheap warm clothing can be bought in many places, "Ross" dress for less and even the drug store chains sell sweatshirts, etc. The Walgreens and similar big drugstore chains are also a good place to buy a fleece blanket for those nights in coach!

Have a great trip!

Ed
Thanks! Getting excited now. 2 days until I fly out!

I've got the Sim card ready to go, I'll just need to find a Walmart or similar that sells the prepaid credit.

I've got a mix of Coach and Roomette, and thankfully roomettes for the overnight legs. Solved my problem of coming back to the west coast by taking VIA's The Canadian, with a week long stop in Edmonton. For my leg from Edmonton to Vancouver, VIA rail gave me a free upgrade to a Cabin for 2 :)

Have now planned LA, San Francisco, Glenwood Springs, Denver, Chicago, DC, New York, Boston, Toronto, Edmonton, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Edmonton, Vancouver. I have 15 days left unplanned from Vancouver to make my way back to LA for the flight home. Definitely thinking Seattle, and maybe some National Park visits.

Hello silmaril

First wish you very well on your adventures, you surely will have experiences you'll keep with you forever.

My first thought when reading your post above was what will the weather be like at the end of your trip in the north west, and if at the end of November/December would it be a comfortable time to travel there?

For me I would get a cheap flight down to the US deep south and make your way back to LA from Georgia or Florida say (there's a lot more to Florida than Disney if you haven't been) then through the likes of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas and Arizona. There's plenty to be seen through a train or bus window and with 15 days it gives you time to stop off here and there too.

Just a thought

Whatever, good luck to you and hope you blog your journey on this forum

Don't for sure either but there are people local to all those states across the south who frequent this forum who can probably help you.

Back