Many questions!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have now booked:

Coast Starlight - LA to SF, Business class

SF to Glenwood Springs - Roomette

Glenwood Springs to Denver - Coach

Denver to Chicago - Roomette

Chicago to DC on the Capitol Limited - Roomette.

Getting exciting! :)

I have now booked:

Getting exciting! :)
Sounds like the makings of a great trip!

Is there really a savings booking coach from Glenwood Springs to Denver, then transferring to a roomette? Or are you planning an overniter in Denver? If so, I can make suggestions for rooms along the RTD A-Line here that would be way less than downtown.

Is there really a savings booking coach from Glenwood Springs to Denver, then transferring to a roomette? Or are you planning an overniter in Denver? If so, I can make suggestions for rooms along the RTD A-Line here that would be way less than downtown.
Yes, planning 2 nights in Denver. Recommendations definitely welcome!

Yes, planning 2 nights in Denver. Recommendations definitely welcome!
As it appeares you'll be traveling in the fall (Oct-Dec.), I'll need to update you as time gets closer, but for a head start take a look at the A-Line train map which runs approximately every fifteen minutes between Union Station (Amtrak) in downtown Denver and Denver International Airport which is a good twenty miles (over 32 kilometres) to the northeast of downtown.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/img/fastracks/map-a-line.jpg

Between the Peoria (light rail transfer) and Gateway Park stations are dozens of modern hotels and motels catering to both airport passengers as well as motorists on Interstate 70. When my father comes to visit from California I can book him an extended stay Crossland suite (has mini-kitchen) for around $40 USD a nite when done with proper advance notice (not too early, but not too short, either). It's located on Chambers, just north of Smith Road that runs parallel to the A-line tracks. In comparison, the cheapest room in the downtown Denver area I can pull up on Expedia for the end of the first week in October runs $88 for one person, and it's a really old Days Inn on Colfax (old US 40) that once appeared in a Clint Eastwood movie as the Royale Inn. In addition some parts of that Capitol Hill area can get pretty sleazy after dark, and you would need to take the 15 bus out of Union Station to get dropped of at their corner. Any decent lodging within walking distance of Denver's Union Station is going to run into the triple digits unless you know how to pull off some sort of miracle.

Anyway I'll be more than happy to help you scout out a room, but I wouldn't do any serious booking until around late August at the earliest as the major sites tend to show the lowest rates in a 30-60 day out window.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Crossland looks really good, and even now the prices are reasonable!
Yes, if all you really need is a room, then I don't think you're going to do better pricewise. Don't be scared off by reviews you might read regarding places like these. This particular Crossland location was built back in the mid-1990's when they opened Denver International Airport and I'll admit their "dated" rooms do look very 20th century still...

hqdefault.jpg
Note the plaid spreads and CRT-type television.

Outside of having to wait one time to check my father in as they were having a shift change at the desk (understandable), I've never experienced any of the "noisy/run-down/bad-service" problems that the reviewers complained about. My dad has told me this place has always been quiet for him to sleep despite this facility being frequented by trucker and biker types due to its location. I assume the sight of such clientele has caused some guests to question their security in their write-ups, but they've always left myself and my father alone. (FWIW, my dad was actually attacked at a Motel 6 in Sacramento one morning in 2014, so he'd be the first to raise a red flag if he sensed a safety issue.) I know he'll have no reservations about staying at a Crossland again on his next visit. (no pun intended on the word reservation:)

Hi all,

Me again! I was hoping to find some recommendations about places to stay in Chicago. I'll be there for 5 nights.

There looks like a huge range of options on Booking.com and Expedia, quite a few at very reasonable prices but some distance from the city-centre. I've no issues with staying a fair way out, as long as there's decent public transport to get into the city. Not sure about the car hire idea, given the side of the road you lot drive on :p

Any recommendations appreciated!

Google up the Hostel International that is located on Congress St. close to the Lake,Michigan Avenue and right beside the L.

Shared rooms are around $30 a night, Private Rooms are like $75 and includes Breakfast and use of their kitchen for other meals. Also discounts,on tickets,tours,entertainment etc. from the friendly and helpful staff.

Very nice, people of all ages from all over the World stay there.Book early,it's very popular!

It's my Second favorite US HI after the one in Sacramento! Check it out!

Plugging in LA to Chicago on AmTrak only gives me the Coast Starlight if I then take the Empire Builder. Assume I can get around that by booking to SF first. Is it hard to get from SF to Emeryville?
This can't be right. Southwest Chief runs daily directly between LA and Chicago. Three days a week the Texas Eagle also run directly between LA and Chicago, but takes an extra day.

The problem with going to Chicago via the Coast Starlight is that it arrives in northern California too late to connect with the California Zephyr to Chicago (unlike some rail planners, Amtrak does not book overnight connections in one reservation). I like your idea, but what I would do is take the CSL, and spend at least one night in the Northern California and then transfer to the CZ. You can do this anywhere between Emeryville and Sacramento.

You asked about the cost of booking all the way from origin to destination, rather than breaking up the trip. While "through" fares may be a little less, in my opinion this would be overwhelmed by the day to day fluctuations in price, especially for sleepers. What I'm saying is

Booking one ticket (the normal way) EMY to CHI departing on day x and arriving on day x+ 2 (it takes two nights) might be cheaper than booking two tickets EMY to Denver and then DEN to CHI on the same train. But EMY to DEN departing on day x and DEN to CHI departing on day x+3 could be cheaper.

Plugging in LA to Chicago on AmTrak only gives me the Coast Starlight if I then take the Empire Builder. Assume I can get around that by booking to SF first. Is it hard to get from SF to Emeryville?
This can't be right. Southwest Chief runs daily directly between LA and Chicago. Three days a week the Texas Eagle also run directly between LA and Chicago, but takes an extra day.

The problem with going to Chicago via the Coast Starlight is that it arrives in northern California too late to connect with the California Zephyr to Chicago (unlike some rail planners, Amtrak does not book overnight connections in one reservation). I like your idea, but what I would do is take the CSL, and spend at least one night in the Northern California and then transfer to the CZ. You can do this anywhere between Emeryville and Sacramento.

You asked about the cost of booking all the way from origin to destination, rather than breaking up the trip. While "through" fares may be a little less, in my opinion this would be overwhelmed by the day to day fluctuations in price, especially for sleepers. What I'm saying is

Booking one ticket (the normal way) EMY to CHI departing on day x and arriving on day x+ 2 (it takes two nights) might be cheaper than booking two tickets EMY to Denver and then DEN to CHI on the same train. But EMY to DEN departing on day x and DEN to CHI departing on day x+3 could be cheaper.
Thanks - I'm all booked now :)

I have now booked:

3 nights in SF, 1 night Glenwood Springs, 2 nights Denver, 5 nights Chicago, 10 nights DC... and that's as far as I've planned to date!

Another question (non-Amtrak), if I may...

As I'll be arriving into the US in October and staying until December, it may get rather cold. I've read some thoughts online about clothes being cheaper in the US than here in Aus. Can you give me some pointers on where to find reasonable quality cold weather gear?

For this, you need to be aware my knowledge of US retail is next to zero, I know there is something called Walmart, and that's about it.

Thanks,
Adrian.

Old saying: Never pay retail/list price!

I suggest you shop in what we call "Thrift stores" which are basically used clothing.

We have both for profit and charity type such places such as Church and Service Organization Run stores (St. Vincent de Paul,Salvation Army,Goodwill etc.).

The best way to go is to layer up, ie underwear (don't buy used!),jeans,cotton shirts,hoodie/fleece jacket,cap/watch cap,gloves.Dont but too much, laundry faculties are available all over.

You should also have a light fleece blanket and travel pillow for your overnights in Coach ( it can get Cold on the train at night)which are available everywhere.

Wal-Mart is great for cheap electronics,drug and household products, but their clothing,while cheap,isn't worth what you pay for it. (foreign made, lots of wierd smells and wierd colors/patterns, mostly knock offs of famous brands!)

Once you're ready to return home, you can donate what you don't want to take home to the non profit thrift stores, Win/Win!!

Second the idea of the thrift stores and the layers. During the time of year and the places you'll be traveling, you're likely to encounter everything from mild, sunny days in the 70s to winter ice and snow in the 20s (Fahrenheit, of course!). A number of warm but thin layers such as a long-sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, "hoodie", and windbreaker jacket as a top layer is more portable and more practical than a thick winter parka.

Wal-Mart and Target are good choices for necessities such as toiletries and underwear, but you might also try some of the ubiquitous "dollar stores" if you're really in the mood to save money.

Not sure when you are traveling, but could it be that the SWC is sold out and it is a day when the SL/TE doesnt run?
It is moot now because the OP has booked. However, it is a common AU misconception that if an accommodation is sold out it does not appear, or that if a train is completely sold out, the connection won't appear. In the first case the accommodation appears with the notation "None Left" and the second with "Sold out Train".

Train don't disappear as long as they are running. I don't know what the current situation is, but traditionally even if a train was canceled, it would appear as sold out.

If I were paying for it out of my own pocket on my current budget, Northeast Regional. Not really that much slower and a much better price. I'd look into NER business class if I wanted more space.

I would take Acela Express first class if I had money or points to burn or if someone else was paying the bill.

Hi again!

My trip is getting closer and closer :)

A quick question, I booked a fare from New York to Boston, but am now thinking about departing New York 2 days earlier to squeeze in a trip to Montreal before hitting Boston.

What actually happens if I click the Cancel Trip button in my account on the AmTrak website? Do I lose the fare, or will I get a credit for a different trip?

Thanks!

What actually happens if I click the Cancel Trip button in my account on the AmTrak website? Do I lose the fare, or will I get a credit for a different trip?
You lose the entire fare. But you have options to get a voucher credit for a future trip OR refund the money paid with a penalty. Many take the voucher option. Cause that's money you don't have to pay for a trip.

Can anyone suggest the best course of action to get a mobile phone plan after arriving into LAX?

When I flew to London a couple of years back, I was able to get a SIM card for a prepaid plan at a vending machine in Heathrow. Does anyone know if LAX has similar, or what the best option would be for getting online once I arrive?

Thanks!

Back