Many questions!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The discouraging fares you encounter vs. cheap airfare make for a valid point, but I respectfully disagree that there is nothing to see east of Denver. Yes, that area does not contain spectacular mountain scenery, but as a tour guide, I encourage visitors to appreciate the more subtle aspects of the landscapes. The Great Plains and the rolling farmlands of Iowa have their own charms, plus the train will cross the Mississippi River at ground level, not at 30,000 feet. You have a great opportunity to take in our beautiful country. Enjoy.

There's nothing to see from the train on that portion of your train route anyway.
While there may be nothing that tickles Chakk's fancy between Denver and Chicago, I'm a firm believer in beauty is in the eye of the beholder. See for yourself what's along this or any other any route by following along above the tracks on Google Earth. Sometimes it can be difficult to see which route the train follows (especially in urban areas) so refer to ... http://fragis.fra.dot.gov/GISFRASafety/ ...for a clearer picture of the route. In addition to those two preview aids, there's also:

• Amtrak Route Guides... https://www.amtrak.com/route-guides

• Scrollable topographic maps... http://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm? ...which give a clearer "picture" of the terrain

• YouTube videos

In the desert West of the US there are many ghost towns along the tracks which have names and those names can be found on the topographic maps and the FRA map. Doing a Google search for that name will usually turn up a Wikipedia article with a bit of history about the place. But when you go by that place on the train there may only be dirt roads radiating out from that long-forgotten place where people once lived and worked. So...

...see for yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything looks good to me. I would suggest that when you really are ready to book that you CALL Amtrak and make your reservations particularly for the roomettes over the phone so that you can request upper roomette and close to center of the car preferably 2 - 6 for a smoother and better ride.

As a regular rider of the CZ both directions Emeryville to Chicago, I recommend riding the full route. I particularly enjoy the ride Ottumwa to Chicago where you cross the Mississippi River in Burlington and stop in Galesburg, IL, a city I liked enough to do a road trip from Nashville just to rail fan.

If you can afford it, I recommend booking BC(business class) on the Coast Starlight. It is a full coach with usually only a handful of passengers so no problems getting window seats on either side and most likely no one else sitting in your row of four seats.

3. Is it likely to add significant cost to book a lot of smaller trips compared to one overall booking from San Francisco to New York? I'd imagine there's a price premium in doing this? One part of me likes the idea of just settling in for an epic cross-country ride, the other part thinks I'd be crazy to travel across so much of the US and not stop at a few places along the way.
In general, the answer is not much if any. In fact a recent topic indicated that breaking it up using the "multi-city" option was cheaper. The case was Dearborn, MI to Los Angeles. The through coach fare was $213 US while the multi-city for the same itinerary was $178. I'm guessing that making separate reservations would be the same as the multi-city.

Also in general, separate reservations are much more convenient in case you have to change or cancel a segment.

I've ridden the CZ at least a half-dozen times between Denver and Chicago. And if the OP was taking the train without a stopover in Denver from EMY to CHI, then sure, I would recommend staying on the CZ for the entire journey. But, with a planned stopover in Denver, I strongly recommend saving the $250 and the 16 hours of travel time by flying between Denver and Chicago! Use that extra money and time instead to enjoy another day in the Colorado Rockies or in that toddling town.

That works if it trips your trigger.

Time on the train holds special value for some of us.

Indeed. For some of us, being on the train is the #1 priority.

Osceola and Ottumwa are pretty much equidistant from my home.

If I'm going west on the CZ I board in Ottumwa.

If I'm eastbound I board in Osceola.

Doing so gets me 80 more miles on the train.

I think for the satisfaction of completing the whole journey by train, I'll stay on the CZ.

Looking at AmSnag, I can save ~$50 by staying another night in Denver so might do that.

Business Class on the Coast Starlight looks doable.

A question about San Francisco, when plotting my travels, what is the best station to aim for in downtown San Francisco? I gather there will be a bus of some description involved?

Thanks!

I think for the satisfaction of completing the whole journey by train, I'll stay on the CZ.

Looking at AmSnag, I can save ~$50 by staying another night in Denver so might do that.

Business Class on the Coast Starlight looks doable.

A question about San Francisco, when plotting my travels, what is the best station to aim for in downtown San Francisco? I gather there will be a bus of some description involved?

Thanks!
SFC is the only option if you have check-in baggage. That's now the Temporary Transbay Terminal, which is kind of in a less than central location. If you can handle your own baggage then the stop at the Hyatt Regency is near traportstion options.

There's nothing to see from the train on that portion of your train route anyway.
While there may be nothing that tickles Chakk's fancy between Denver and Chicago, I'm a firm believer in beauty is in the eye of the beholder. See for yourself what's along this or any other any route by following along above the tracks on Google Earth. Sometimes it can be difficult to see which route the train follows (especially in urban areas) so refer to ... http://fragis.fra.dot.gov/GISFRASafety/ ...for a clearer picture of the route. In addition to those two preview aids, there's also:
• Amtrak Route Guides... https://www.amtrak.com/route-guides

• Scrollable topographic maps... http://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm? ...which give a clearer "picture" of the terrain

• YouTube videos

In the desert West of the US there are many ghost towns along the tracks which have names and those names can be found on the topographic maps and the FRA map. Doing a Google search for that name will usually turn up a Wikipedia article with a bit of history about the place. But when you go by that place on the train there may only be dirt roads radiating out from that long-forgotten place where people once lived and worked. So...

...see for yourself!
I don't think I've seen anyone post a screenshot of it, but I left the Satellite, Terrain, and Street View options of Google Maps available on asm.transitdocs.com

As for thru way buses for San Francisco, it depends on the train. Thru way buses meet the California Zephyr in Emeryville. Thruway buses for the Coast Starlight meet in Oakland's Jack London Station.

The Union Pacific Museum in Omaha tickles my fancy, but it is not open when the CZ passes thru town.

As for thru way buses for San Francisco, it depends on the train. Thru way buses meet the California Zephyr in Emeryville. Thruway buses for the Coast Starlight meet in Oakland's Jack London Station.
Thank you. From my reading, if I am catching the Coast Starlight from LA to SF, it will arrive in Oakland's Jack London, from which I will transfer to a bus to take me to the Temporary Transbay Terminal. On departure from SF, my SFC to DEN fare, will allow me to take the bus from the Temp Transbay Terminal to Emeryville for a change to the train.

Is this correct?

What are the odds on the new Transbay Terminal being completed and opened before my arrival in October?

Thanks again!

Thank you. From my reading, if I am catching the Coast Starlight from LA to SF, it will arrive in Oakland's Jack London, from which I will transfer to a bus to take me to the Temporary Transbay Terminal. On departure from SF, my SFC to DEN fare, will allow me to take the bus from the Temp Transbay Terminal to Emeryville for a change to the train.

Is this correct?

What are the odds on the new Transbay Terminal being completed and opened before my arrival in October?

Thanks again!
Your assumptions are correct. Since I usually stay at the Hyatt House Hotel in Emeryville, I have not used the thruway buses in several years so do not know the status of the Transbay Terminal.

Your assumptions are correct. Since I usually stay at the Hyatt House Hotel in Emeryville, I have not used the thruway buses in several years so do not know the status of the Transbay Terminal.
Thanks.

A wider question for all, I'm currently plotting 3 nights in each stop - ie, 3 nights in LA, 3 in SF, 3 in Denver, 3 in Chicago, 3-4 in DC. Is this about right for breaking up a train journey and seeing the sights in these spots?

Nice trip!

Suggestion: Instead of spending all 3 nights in one Big City, consider using local or regional transportation and spend one night in each of the following :

1)Santa Barbara (Surfliner or Coast Starlight)

2)Davis (Capitol Corridor/CZ with Day trip to Sacramento for Cali Rail Museum

3)Glenwood Springs,CO (CZ/on way to Denver)

Chicago and DC are worth 3 nights each ( as is New York if you have the time and money)

Regarding completion of the reconstructed transbay terminal, it could be close. Current projection is "autumn 2017", which means anytime between late September and late December.

BTW, October is typically one of the nicest months of the year in San Francisco, weatherwise.

Autumn colors in the Colorado Rockies peak the last week of September.

Glenwood Springs is a very, very pretty resort town. I've never stopped there, but I saw it through the windows of the CZ last September and I wanted to.

What's the attraction for Glenwood Springs over Denver?
Attractions

Very scenic.

At the confluence of the Colorado River and Roaring Fork rivers.

At the west end of Glenwood Canyon that has miles of bicycycle and walking trails, picnic areas, white water rafting, fishing, etc.

There is a world famous hot springs/hotel/resort across the river from the Amtrak station.

And more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenwood_Springs,_Colorado

Not to mention the Cemetery where Doc Holiday is buried ( his exact gravesite isn't known), plus some great Bar-B-Q,Craft Beer and neat mom and pop stores in this small mountain village!

Weekdays are best, Denverites have discovered it and flock there on weekend get-a-ways!

Glenwood Springs is also a 20 minute ride on the local county bus service to the tony town of Aspen

Back